Negative comments

Options
Ugghh, had some negative comments yelled at me by a passerby in a truck while returning from a walk the other day. I was just getting on a roll of getting motivated to do more walking. Now I feel like I don't want to go out there because of fear of hearing more negative things.

has anyone else experienced this before...how do you handle it.

Replies

• ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Put in your earphones and turn your music up! No big deal is it, really? There are nice people and not-so-nice people everywhere, just brush it off...when you get to your goal they'll be shouting at you then too!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dont let one jerk stop you. Get a set of headphones, plug in some music or an audio book and do what you want.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ignore him! he is a sad excuse for a human being with less social skills than a slug... dotn waste any more time thinking about him than you already have, he is not worth it!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds trite, but simply ignore it. Odds are, that sort of jerk yells nasty things at anyone in earshot when he's driving around. He didn't save it just for you--he's most likely an equal-opportunity a*ss. Some poor fool has to live with him, but he's out of your life in 30 seconds. :wink:

Most people who see someone working out have respect for that person and are silently cheering them on! :bigsmile:
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yeah :-(
    im went for a run a few months ago, i usually stick to the gym, but it was closed, so there i am going for it when 2 guys in a white van pull up and yell "run fatty! run!"

kinda funny when i write to down, but at the time i was so humiliated it was awful.

i gave a nice smile and stated that i was doing, but there wasn't a diet or excercise that would stop them being brainless d£$*s.
    sounded and looked really congfident at the time, but i went right home and had a good cry.
    there's no need for cruel things like that.

but although it still bothered me, what i said was right, yeah, we might be chubby/fat/a little over weight/not quite where we want to be, but hey, we're not ignorant *kitten* - there isnt an exercise in the world that can cure that affliction!

xx
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    headphones and ignore! dont let these jerks ruin your goal! they are not worth it
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thats TERRIBLE!! I've not had that happen to me, but I can only imagine how hurtful it is. WHY would anyone be so cruel??

Girl, you are doing something great for your body...you're getting out there and moving. On one hand, yeah...it's hard not to focus on the negative. But on the other hand, you are going to be so much better for getting that exercise in. Don't let one *kitten* ruin that for you. I say get back out there tomorrow (or the next time you plan on walking) and hold your head high. Do what you know is healthy. If you are using music when you walk, turn it up! And....you could always shoot them a bird if it happens again. ;)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    ^^^ ditto

this reminds me of quote from Pretty Woman

People put you down enough you start to believe it... the bad stuff is easier to believe, you ever notice that? --

I try to use is as my "fuel" ! good luck
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just be thankful that you don't need to try and hurt others in order to make yourself feel better. You can and will improve your body but the poor soul that yelled stuff to you is probably stuck with that deficient brain of his for the rest of his life.

Clearly you're in a much better position than he is.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    don't let them get you down. do this for you and nobody else
  • llsand
    Options
    Just know one thing : What we have if fixable, but stupidity is not ; it’s permanent. Can you imagine being THAT stupid for life ???urgh...
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Don't let someone else control your behavior. To yell negative things at a stranger is really a sign of extremely poor character. It takes all kinds in the world, but don't let some baboon get in the way of your success!

You CAN do this.

Tena
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    For every one idiot yelling stupid crap there is 10 people thinking that's what I need to do. When I started walking I was 120kg (over 240lbs). I walked past houses where women would stare at me. They stared when I was 74lbs down too n now Ive seen them walking! Headphones on girl! In your mind think "watch this space...change is coming!"
  • 1Faithful
    1Faithful Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is so rude! You handle it by moving forward. Do not let anyone keep you from moving toward your goal. If you stop walking then negativity and all that comes with it WINS...If you keep walking YOU WIN especially once you start to see results.

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit. - Conrad Hilton

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits. - Napoleon Hill

YOU CAN DO THIS...STAY POSITVE, BE STRONG AND KEEP MOVING
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    SCREW THEM! When that crap happens think of all the wonderful things people have said about and to you. Remember what you love about yourself. You are not the jerk who was insulting. Right there you win. Do not let this slow your roll.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Don´t listen to rude people. Do what is best for you no matter what others think. You are the brave one doing this and taking charge of your life and lifestyle. Put some music in your ear or something. Just ignore others.
  • ChristyyLT
    Options
    So many people wear so many masks, it can be hard to tell genuine feelings. The good thing about negative people is there is no doubt who to cut out of your life or who to ignore on the side of the road. I've found that when I'm negative, there's something going on in my life that is frustrating or upsetting or disappointing (maybe the disappointment is in myself). For the person calling out negative stuff just say to yourself "God bless him", and then keep on keeping on. Because for that one Negative Ned or Nelly, there are 10 positive people here to encourage you.

Stay motivated, stay strong and keep on working toward your goal! No one can stop you!!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You probably made him feel guilty because he probably needs to get off his bum and do the same.

Chin up, headphones on and pound that pavement.
    Keep up the good work! :-)
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what the others have said - put in some music and do your thing.

About a year ago, I saw (regularly) this large woman riding one of those big tricycles around - the adult kind with the huge basket in the back...know what I mean? The first time I saw her, she was pedaling slower than an average person would walk, had one of those huge headsets on with big boxy earpieces and an antenna, and was smoking a cigarette, plus she had this crazy long gray mullet sort of hairstyle. I'm not mean and would never yell out the car window at her, but she definitely was a sight to remember.

But I kept seeing her, kept seeing her, out there all the time, not giving up. Winter came and went, and I didn't see her for a while. A few months ago, I saw her again - same hair, same huge headset, but this time she was on a 2-wheeled bike, pedaling at a regular sort of speed, without the cigarette, and probably a good 100 pounds lighter. WAY TO GO, mystery woman!

Moral: Never give up. You might feel silly at the beginning, but take baby steps if you need to to get where you want to go. :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I had a guy literally sit in his truck and yell obscenities at me as I got out the car and walked past him. To me that shows how ball-less you are, to not even have the chutzpah to stand in front of me; you did it from the safety of your vehicle.

Personally I'm so used to comments on my appearance or weight that I hardly bother in responding. It's pointless to, because they want your feathers ruffled whether in anger or hurt; they want the reaction. If you're gonna give them one, let it be an eyeroll or a smile. Getting mad and telling them where to shove their heads just makes you mad.

The world is full of sh*tty people but it doesn't mean their stink has to rub off on to you.