Negative comments

Options

Replies

• Cheshire66
    Options
    Don't allow anyone to determine how you feel about yourself. The fact that you have motivated yourself to exercise, in itself is an achievement. I recently took up running, but before I took the plunge, I was so concerned with what others thought of me, it stopped me from doing it. Allowing others so much control over your life hinders your progress. Don't allow some idiot stopping you succeeding.

Good Luck!
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Know that there are people out there like me who have so much RESPECT for you- unfortunately, it doesn't get yelled out windows very often for fear of someone taking it wrong, but know that in my head I'm cheering you on "Go girl, go! get it get it get it!"
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    There will always be people out that will say mean things, but that's because they see others doing what they want to do. They don't have the courage to do something about themselves, so they take it out on others. It does hurt to hear when people put you down, but keep thinking I'm changing myself for me and no one else. I'll add you for some motivation and encouragement. Keep pushing till you reach your goals!!
  • johnbacker
    Options
    You can do things to change being heavy, but they are stuck being idiots. Keep doing what you need to do to get where you want to be. :)
  • Ugghh, had some negative comments yelled at me by a passerby in a truck while returning from a walk the other day. I was just getting on a roll of getting motivated to do more walking. Now I feel like I don't want to go out there because of fear of hearing more negative things.

has anyone else experienced this before...how do you handle it.
    Don't let that person have your joy. YOU keep workout and getting healthy... dont stop!
  • Kalola11
    Kalola11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just look at this thread of encouragement and put it into perspective. I love MFP! I wish I could erase that moment for you -- instead, just fill your mind and your heart with the encouraging words above. Keep your head up and keep on walking!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I had this once about a year ago. Thankfully I was already down like 30 pounds or I honestly think I would have given up. I was running in the evening, so it was dark and some (likely drunk) guys yelled out the window "Get it girl! THUNDER thighs!!" I just kept running harder to get away from the intersection. It hurt, but all I could think of was, "they should have seen me 30 pounds ago!" Well, now I am down a total of 54 pounds and wear a size 6 and my thighs still thunder. Still working on them. Even though I will never see them again I just think, "I'll show them!" Use this as a fuel for you fire to keep working hard! Just realize that MOST people driving by you are quietly thinking one of the following:

Good for you!
    I should really be out walking!
    She's so brave to be out here, I am too embarrassed.

I could go on and on! Good luck and KEEP GOING!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Put in your earphones and turn your music up! No big deal is it, really? There are nice people and not-so-nice people everywhere, just brush it off...when you get to your goal they'll be shouting at you then too!

^^^ This! I started out by walking at lunchtime through the city. I don't know if anything was ever said because I had my ear buds on so I wouldn't hear anything! I still keep the ear buds in and I'm out a lot more than I ever was! Don't let stupid stop you!!!
  • 29andfat
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened, I feel for you! I have a hard time dealing with negativity from other people too, but I've started to improve on the way I deal with things. When something happens, I just ask myself "what does it MEAN that that happened?" and the answer is always "nothing". It doesn't mean anything that some guy made a comment at you. You're still you, you're still doing your thing - nothing has changed as a result of that guy making some stupid comment at you, or rather, you don't have to LET it change anything. You're the one in control!

And when I think of it like that, it's a little bit easier to brush it off, instead of lingering on it for the whole day like the Old Me would! Don't let people get you down! :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My mom used to always say, "Consider the source."

Do you really give a damn what some ill-mannered a-hole thinks or says?
  • gusnjay
    gusnjay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't let this moron discourage you. If anything, use these negative comments as inspiration to accomplish your goals. In the end you will be a winner and that moron will continue to be a loser.
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That old saying about misery loving company is so true; stay with your fitness agenda and if anything, you should use his/her ignorant behind as motivation, you can’t let some random miserable person stop you from accomplishing your goal to be healthy.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    ignore ignore ignore...
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Just be thankful that you don't need to try and hurt others in order to make yourself feel better. You can and will improve your body but the poor soul that yelled stuff to you is probably stuck with that deficient brain of his for the rest of his life.

Clearly you're in a much better position than he is.

Side Steel took the words right out of my mouth. That guy will always be a schmuck - you are a work in progress!! Ignore it and keep your chin up and keep moving forward. Keep up the great work!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you don't go back out, they win. You're better than that!
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Keep going out every day and soon those yells will turn into whistles of admiration over your hot bod!!!!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Somebody once yelled something negative at me while I was driving. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop driving. How else will I get to where I want to go? Catch my drift?
  • jazzi98
    Options
    My own family call me fat. Best thing to do is use negative comments as motivation. Prov to them you can lose weight!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Use headphones and let it roll off your back. Think of the positive comments you will receive when you reach the goal. I wish you the best.
  • bmalone62
    bmalone62 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mean people suck! It's that simple! You are doing great, so don't let the mean people ruin it for you!