Horrible customer service experience NSV!

Options

Replies

• lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So proud of you. You have gained a wonderful gift, self confidence. She should be reprimanded, that is not good for any business to make customers feel bad. Keep up the good work.:noway:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see the big deal. Perhaps she was just trying to help and you are a bit sensitive about your weight? Based on your comment, size is very important to you, so maybe you read her the wrong way?

Not trying to be argumentative, just providing a different perspective.

I often find that my reaction to others is more a reflection of my personal insecurities or sensitivities than the other person's intent...

I mean, it isn't like she said, "Hey, f@t @$$, your section is over there."

^^This. Hard to gauge really since we don't know the tone she used when she suggested the women's sizes.

I would simply like to say that it was condescending. She did not ask if I needed help or if she could help me. She simply started by telling me that I shouldn't be there. If she weren't trying to be rude she would have let it go instead of continuing on with the whole conversation.
  • myogibbs
    Options
    Way to stand up for yourself! As for the woman, she may have been trying to be rude or she may have actually been trying to help and was just too pushy. It's no one's place to judge her, nor is it her place to judge you.

Speaking from personal experience, my grandmother is a seamstress and is used to working on sizes 0 to XXXXL. It's her job to make sure the people at her company are dressed appropriately, and I could definitely see her having this conversation with someone. Though I doubt she'd be quite that blunt or forceful about it. Lol.

Also, a question to everyone, what does NSV stand for? I haven't seen it on these forums yet.

NSV=non-scale victory :)
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'd wear those damn jeans every single time I walked into that store :drinker:

^This!!!!

Screw the old bitty, she obviously was jealous that you could rock the Juniors. You go girl!!!!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Good for you for standing your ground. Fair enough she might have been trying to help but she should have left it after the first suggestion of going to the womens section and not pressed the subject.

Reading this reminded me of when I bought my sister a birthday present recently, she'd text me the exact dress she wanted and what size (she's a uk size 12/14 and I'm a 22/24). So I toddled off to my nearest store, found the dress in her size and went to the checkout to pay. When I got there the cashier looked at the size, then at me, then back at the dress a few times then had the nerve to say 'you know I think you'll need a bigger size, is this for you?' Apart from it being none of her ****ing business am I really that stupid to buy a dress 6 sizes too small for me? I was FUMING but just snottily replied 'its for my sisters birthday thank you very much and walked out close to tears.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. People can be so inconsiderate!
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar thing happen to me too. I was looking at 'skinny' jeans because i wanted to wear my tall wedge sandals. This ***** kept eyeing me, so instead of the dull jeans i was looking to get, I got the brightest lime green ones (they're in my profile even) and I've made it a point to wear them the 3 times i've gone to Target since =)

I would have never done that before losing weight, but whose business is it anyway? They just see fat girls, they don't see that we're busting ours *kitten* to lose weight. They don't see any disorder or disease that we may have which is contributing to our fatness. People are just so judgmental and ignorant.

Yes, this! I am sorry that lady spoke to you like that :-( Wear those jeans with pride.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have worked in and managed customer service for years. You politely ask if you can help if you think someone is lost and when they tell you to back off or that they are perfectly fine you let them flipping shop. I can think of only once in all my years doing customer service that I told someone they looked bad in what they were buying and I was a fitting room associate. The woman had a blaze orange dress suit and was probably a size 16. Due to the color it made her look larger than she was and the effect was halloween pumpkin. She came right out and said is this flattering on me? I asked if she wanted the truth or the polite lie. She asked for the truth I told her nicely to maybe pick out a different color because it did not suit her. NEVER NEVER would I have said anything negative to this woman. BTW I was teen then and maybe a size 2 and part of the mean girl tribe. I still knew better than to speak up! So grandmotherly or not seriously some people need to learn when their help is hurtful and not help! Go you and your calm demeanor in handling the hurtful comments. BTW a note to walmart I have had to shop in your plus section I do not care for white stag just saying......
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    She was just trying to help you and now she might lose her job and her ability to pay for her family and her home? And as I presume you're American, her health insurance, meaning she might die because she tried to help you? Great.

Also, for all you feel like she's judging you for being 'fat', you've judged her, and her trying to help coming across as offensive to you might have been a sign of Asperger's or any number of things.

My little brother has Asperger's. She did not display any signs of being on the spectrum besides her out and out rudeness.

In case you were wondering, I told the manager that I did not wish for her to get in trouble and I would feel horrible if she got fired but I couldn't stand the thought of this happening to someone else. The manager informed me that she would not be fired but things like this have happened enough with her that it was time for some sensitivity training as well as customer service retraining.

Appropriate in this case, I think.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why woman shop in the juniors section anyway. I mean I don't go shopping in the boys section.. but anyways congrats on your nsv and putting the granny in her place
    Juniors vs Misses departments are more a matter of style than size nowadays. If you like jeans cut lower at the waist and with more embellishments, you'll find those in Juniors. The sizes are odd numbers, and Misses are even, but both cover pretty much the same range of sizes.. Theres a girl's department for children. I've bought shirts in the juniors department several times because I love today's retro styles.

Congrats on taking a stand against rudeness. Customer service jobs all require that you be polite to the customer no matter what. It's none of her business what you wear, and besides, you could have been shopping for a friend or daughter. I buy stuff in the men's department for my family members - do people think I'm going to wear it myself? Lol.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    She was just trying to help you and now she might lose her job and her ability to pay for her family and her home? And as I presume you're American, her health insurance, meaning she might die because she tried to help you? Great.

Also, for all you feel like she's judging you for being 'fat', you've judged her, and her trying to help coming across as offensive to you might have been a sign of Asperger's or any number of things.

Just so you know, I work at a Walmart that women wouldn't have lost her job. You don't get fired that easily, she probably got a slap on the wrist, or written up. If she's done similar things at least 5 times in the past year then, yes, she would have been fired. What she did was WRONG and Walmart doesn't want their employees to behave in that way, so this women was totally in the right to tell a manager. Now the women knows not to make the same mistakes, and hurt someone else with her 'help.'

Also, judging by the amount of people who have either had it happen and reacted similarly, or at least agree with her feelings.. does everyone here have Asperger's too? lol!
    I worked for walmart to and they fired ppl for alot less than what she did. Stop making excuses for this nasty old miserable lady that hates her job and takes it out on the customers. I hope she did get fired (or at least suspended) Retire if your that miserable or get a new job.

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, no two walmarts are the same sometimes, but I agree she shouldn't be working there. Judging by the cashiers reaction, and how they knew exactly who it was, I would say this isn't the first time the employee had done this!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see the big deal. Perhaps she was just trying to help and you are a bit sensitive about your weight? Based on your comment, size is very important to you, so maybe you read her the wrong way?

Not trying to be argumentative, just providing a different perspective.

I often find that my reaction to others is more a reflection of my personal insecurities or sensitivities than the other person's intent...

I mean, it isn't like she said, "Hey, f@t @$$, your section is over there."

Actually, I think she didn't need to say "Hey, f@t @$$, your section is over there."....it was already implied.
  • sissyr75
    Options
    i would llike to say great job on defending yourself. how would she like it if someone pointed out to her that she had to shop in a "senior citizens" isle just cause she was older.

when i was heavier, people would ask me when "my baby was due". i would say i'm not pregnant, i'm overweight. they would get all defensive on me and mouth off. i would tell them don't just assume someone is pregant just cuz they have a belly.

and on a side note, i just don't understand how people that act like the lady did can still be working there??? i have been unemployed for 13 weeks now and have been applying every where. i have applied at wal-mart and after filling everything out on the application and the questionaire i get a response that says basically i am not "wal-mart material"! how does the computer know my personality and such. i guess maybe it is because of the hours i can't work due to other commitments. but still, this kind of lady you are talking about has no customer service skills but yet she is working there! makes no sense to me.

Again, good job in standing up for yourself. :-)
  • sundrine
    Options
    I so admire your self confidence. When someone's horrible to me, I'm usually too shocked to say anything. The most I can do is give them the finger and walk away but I'd love to be able to tell them off like you did. You are a brave person.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? Had she cared a hoot for her job or her ability to pay her bills or feed her kids or make her house payments she would have thought this out before making an uncalled for remark. Shes in a position of HELPING the public......she's "put herself out there" and as such should know what is appropriate and what is not. There's a time and place for everything........check your watch.....in the customer service business there is never a time to be rude. Once the customer acknowledged her...without any further questions, she should have moved on. She had no reason to stand guard over the customer in the manner she did. Now had the customer engaged her further then its hard telling what could have come up.

Any normal self respecting adult knows what is appropriate and what isnt. They know how to gauge what to say and when to say it. This woman failed in all categories.
  • victoriajh
    Options
    WOW that is not great hey! i have a client who works at wal mart and they take ANY negative customer feedback VERY seriously
    hopefully she wont be there the next time you go!
    i had the opposite experience buying clothes fro a work conference recently- i took the size i "thought" i was and the salesman ( who was FAB!!!) said you NEED the extra small- i almost kissed him =)
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hugs for you!!! You are amazing and I am so proud that you stood your ground while handling the situation admirably. I've had a silmilar experience when shopping for my daughter who is about a size 3. The woman tried to show me the women's section. I told her I may not be able to fit these sizes; however I'm shopping for my daughter! I was so angry!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Good for you. No doubt they fired granny, who is now begging on the streets to afford her medical supplements. Let's face it, once you get fired from Walmart, there's pretty much nowhere else you can go. Granny never had health care anyway, since it was only Walmart. But still, gotta hurt to be so old and on the streets. But she'll never insult a plus size woman again!

--P
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You did fantastic and should be so proud. This should never if happened but Thank you for reporting it, so maybe it might not happen to the next person.

Eileen
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Just so you know, I work at a Walmart that women wouldn't have lost her job. You don't get fired that easily, she probably got a slap on the wrist, or written up. If she's done similar things at least 5 times in the past year then, yes, she would have been fired. What she did was WRONG and Walmart doesn't want their employees to behave in that way, so this women was totally in the right to tell a manager. Now the women knows not to make the same mistakes, and hurt someone else with her 'help.'

Also, judging by the amount of people who have either had it happen and reacted similarly, or at least agree with her feelings.. does everyone here have Asperger's too? lol!
    I meant that the woman in the shop who was being a little insensitive might have Asperger's, not the OP/respondents.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

My little brother has Asperger's. She did not display any signs of being on the spectrum besides her out and out rudeness.

In case you were wondering, I told the manager that I did not wish for her to get in trouble and I would feel horrible if she got fired but I couldn't stand the thought of this happening to someone else. The manager informed me that she would not be fired but things like this have happened enough with her that it was time for some sensitivity training as well as customer service retraining.

Appropriate in this case, I think.

Some people in my family have it too, and from the way you said it came across to me as if she had been told to tell you what she said and therefore kept insisting upon it when you pointed out she was wrong, and that's what my cousin does - that wasn't a bad assumption on my part!

I've just heard so many horror stories about people in this economic climate, I'm glad you pointed out she shouldn't be fired.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!