Michael Clarke Duncan Dead of Heart Attack

Options

Replies

• HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's vey sad news because he seem it be in good shape. He was a big guy but more muscular. It just goe to show we need to remain conscientious of our diet and we need to exercise often.

RIP Michael.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This is so sad.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Just read that actor Michael Clarke Duncan died. this morning He had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago and never recovered. He was a very muscular guy, like a bodybuilder. How does someone in that kind of shape have a heart attack and die at 54?? I just don't understand.
    Atherosclerosis affects all people who eat animal based foods, regardless of fitness level.

He had been a vegetarian for the past 3 years. He said he thought he was in the best shape of his life.

That's the part that sickens me so much about this. To be in what you believe is the best shape of your life and die of a heart attack is just crazy. But life isn't fair and as much as we want to believe we are in control, in the end we are not and we all must go someday.
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    Oh no! I really liked him. :(
    He seemed like a very nice and humble person and was a good actor.
    It's possible that maybe he had a heart condition. My father in law has one and has always been in tip-top shape yet had his first heart attack at 21 (he's had 2 others)! We can do all that we can to take good care of ourselves, but there are some things that are just beyond our control.
    Too sad. My thought go out to his family.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    It is very sad. My dad's friend - swim 5 miles a day, run, mountain bike, was a tri athlete, had a massive heart attack, and now he is afraid to do any of what he used to do, so now he walks.

Sadly anything is possible - health , and genetics play factors in how we roll out of this planet.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Awful! He's one of my favourite actors. Poor man.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    :sad: that's all I can say...
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just read that actor Michael Clarke Duncan died. this morning He had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago and never recovered. He was a very muscular guy, like a bodybuilder. How does someone in that kind of shape have a heart attack and die at 54?? I just don't understand.
    Atherosclerosis affects all people who eat animal based foods, regardless of fitness level.

He had been a vegetarian for the past 3 years. He said he thought he was in the best shape of his life.

He was in the best shape of his life, worked out, vegetarian. He had a massive heart attack early in july where his girlfriend found him unresponsive. CPR saved his life. He's been in the hospital since then, recently they took him out of his medically induced coma.

He's a very big guy, 300lbs might be heavy to a short person but he wasn't overweight. Sad he was a great actor.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    But sometimes news like this makes me feel like you can't fight fate. Just about everyone in my family is diabetic and have heart disease. They don't workout, they don't watch what they eat. I have always worked out and watched what I eat, but because of my family history I am high risk for heat disease and diabetes. It is a huge fear that I end up with these conditions, and if I do after my best efforts to live a fit and healthy lifestyle then I think I will feel like I wasted my time.

Seems like a defeatist way to look at it. For all we know his healthy lifestyle gave him an extra 10 years.

You are right, he may have gotten an extra ten years. But if you worked your entire life to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle and still ended up having a heart attack or diabetes. You wouldn't be frustrated to be in the same predicament as those who didn't try at all. Wouldn't you feel at times when you were at the gym or counting calories, that maybe you could have just enjoyed life since you ended up in the same place as those who did. I don't know all about Michael Clarke Duncan's health or lifestyle. He looks like a bodybuilder to me and has been a vegetarian for some years now. I would be so mad if i gave up meat and had a heart attack anyway. I'm just saying. Being fit and healthy is a sacrifice, but we do it because we believe the outcome is worth it. But what if its not??

It is worth it if you say it is worth it. I did the whole, who gives a crap I am going to sit around and stuff my face for 17 years. I feel healthy right now for the first time in a long time. Yes I acknowledge Mark Twain's comment "Health experts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." But I wear my seatbelt even though I can die from accidentally eating shrimp. If I can do something about it now, then I should.
  • rosecando
    rosecando Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Rest In Peace MICHEAL.:heart:
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard this. Makes me really sad--I always liked him. All I know is that health is not guaranteed to any of us, and we've got to live and appreciate every single day.

This.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    How sad. He was SO wonderful in The Green Mile. I can't believe it.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Someone told me once the number one symptom of a Heart Attack is death. I wonder if he ever woke up these last few weeks or no? I heard about the heart attack in the news after it happened and was wondering if the nearly inevitable would happen.

An underrated and typecast actor, he was nice. I feel sad intermittently thinking about how old actors I grew up with are now.
  • neh310
    neh310 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is sad news. I am a firm believer in two things. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go - nothing u do can prevent it. That being said, I do believe that no one should just give up and say f**k it. We need to try and be the best we can - as a whole person. Physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. And each and every one of us (myself especially!) Is a work in progress. Sad news.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of factors genetics, family histor, lifestyle, or just plain bad luck. The fact is he touched a lot of lives was a wonderful actor and probably lived more than any of us on this forum. You could have the perfect body and the perfect cholesterol but still be hit by a bus, killed in a car wreck, or slip in the shower and crack your head open. We don't know when our time is up thats why it's so important to live each day like it's your last.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You are right, he may have gotten an extra ten years. But if you worked your entire life to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle and still ended up having a heart attack or diabetes. You wouldn't be frustrated to be in the same predicament as those who didn't try at all. Wouldn't you feel at times when you were at the gym or counting calories, that maybe you could have just enjoyed life since you ended up in the same place as those who did. I don't know all about Michael Clarke Duncan's health or lifestyle. He looks like a bodybuilder to me and has been a vegetarian for some years now. I would be so mad if i gave up meat and had a heart attack anyway. I'm just saying. Being fit and healthy is a sacrifice, but we do it because we believe the outcome is worth it. But what if its not??

frustrating... yes...

but think of how much easier it would be to DEAL with diabetes if you do encounter it? if you do develop diabetes and you are in shape... how much easier will it be to STAY in shape?? if you have some sort of cardiac event how much easier will recovery be>????
  • plmob
    Options
    For those of you talking about animal fat "this", and eating meat and cholesterol "that", google search 'does cholesterol (or meat, or fat) cause heart attacks (or "clogged arteries"). Do some research instead of following the herd..Also, see this movie: Fathead

It's free on Hulu.

Good luck..
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Also, see this movie: Fathead
    That movie was total BS.
  • ARicho
    Options
    It is quite sad, loved him in the Green Mile, but more so his interviews with Craig Ferguson. Do yourself a favor and youtube, you won't be disappointed. He was a gentle giant, and a very likeable fellow.

As for the way he went, heart attack at 54, some people have heart attacks younger, and they are in shape as well. Keeping fit, eating healthy, it's all just a way to reduce the risk of a heart attack, doesn't stop it, as it can be genetic at times.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I hadn't heard.

But just because he had big muscles, doesn't mean he was healthy. He also probably had a good deal of excess fat to go with his muscles. Who knows what his diet or cardio vascular health was like? Also, genetics often plays a big roll in these kind of things.

It said he was 6' 5" and 300 pound ,even for his size that is a lot of waight and He was in the hospital a long time after surgery, most of the time , a open heart surgery pt. is out of the hospital in a week or so. a lot of things can happen after a heart surgery, infection , clots, another attack , and more. it is sad and I love him in the green mile .