Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Had my celiac blood test this morning. I had to go back on gluten for about 5 days until I had the test so not to get a false neg...can't wait to go gf again!!! I had been gf for about 4 days and was feeling great until I learned I had quit too soon. Glad to be back!! I also had my sleep study, that was scary to hear the tech talk about how I slept.
    I am in sticker shock on my first gf shopping trip today. A loaf of gf bread..$6 and a box of gf pasta...$5. I plan on internet shopping also. Now I have to find the ingreds for AuntBiz's bread. GF cake and brownie mix wasn't too bad, but I can't eat that stuff, it is a binge trigger for me, go figure the danger zone is cheapest. Guess I am taking a few min to go back and read old posts to get shopping and food ideas.
    Is it logical to mainly live off fruit, veggie, protein and dairy and have 1 or 2 servings of gf stuff, maybe some crackers or something. What about fiber?

Fiber is easy. If you are sticking to the whole foods, you will get it naturally. I've noticed that most of the processed gf stuff doen't really have alot of fiber anyway. But if you do a load of veggies at every meal you should be good. Plus the naturally gf grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet, teff, corn- those are all good sources of fiber and even protien and calcium.

As for shopping, its hard at first. I have learned that it is actually cheaper to buy things at Whole Foods or Better Health and Trader Joes. Unless Kroger or Meijer are running a sale. So I tend to check the chain stores first.If they aren't on sale I get what I need at a health food store. I've notived a huge difference in price! I bought Sunbutter at Whole foods, regular price 5.99. But then I went t o Kroger and cheched the price. It was 7.99 regular price there! You'll get the hang of it once you learn what you like and don't like. Then it'll just become second nature.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    So I made the rouladen last night and I'm happy. The Redbridge didn't make it taste funny (eventhough the sorghum seems to make the beer a little sweeter than like Budweiser) and cornstarch really wasn't a bad thickener for the beer gravy. Quinoa pasta totally did the trick for egg noodles. Success! And no upset tummy. :)

Ok. I can do this and not feel like I've lost the foods I loved. Mini successes like this are totally going to help this transition.

Oh! I tried one of the ice cream sandwiches I found (Jill's? Jillian's? Organic gf...eek I'll have to look again at the brand, but not dairy free. Came in a white canister). At first I thought they sucked. The "cookie" was crumbly and it was like you could feel the grains of sugar in it. But as it warmed up the cookie thing got softer and taste totally improved. I'll give em another whirl if I feel like an ice cream sandwich again.
  • ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

There is this place near me that sells gluten free foods. It's mainly Italian foods like Ravioli, stuffed shells. They also carry alot of premaded meals as well as breads, bread crumbs and different flours. They even have my personal favorite gluten free cannoli....They will ship anywhere so you don't have to live in the NYC area. Their menu online is limited, but trust me they have alot of stuff. I just bought hot dog rolls from them and hero breads for sandwiches.
    Here is the link for it.....

http://store.pastosa.com/category/gluten.html
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I am so glad I'm not alone here! I recently found out I have celiac disease last week. It runs on my dads side of the family. So far 5 family members have tested positive for it. I bought this book called "The G Free Diet-a gluten free survival guide" by Elisabeth Hasslebeck (cohost on the view) it has taught me soooo much & I thank the lord my aunt introduced me too it. My grocery store has an entire aisle just of gluten free food. I love the New bread just entroduced called Udis bread!!! Last night I made my own gluten free pizza it was really yummy! Since I'm new to this it has been a bit overwhelming because I cannot eat alot of my favorite foods but I would rather feel better! Plus with no wheat it helps you loose weight!!!:happy: my symptoms were the same as everyone elses the worst was the cramping! Pregnancy cramps are the worst but I swear these cramps I was having were not far behind pregnancy cramps. Just 2 weeks so far of cutting gluten out I feel great & lost 2lbs in 3 days!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    Welcome FaithNlove212!!! I have not been diagnosed long either and finding this message board has been a life savor!! It is nice to have people who understand!! When I tell people I am gluten free they look at my with pity, I am really excited to be gf and have health problems (and weight) seem to just disappear. It helped me to sit and read all the posts to all the good tips from the past. Best wishes and god bless!!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    According to the Betty Crocker site, they are coming out with a gf bisquick mix this summer!!! WOW that will open a whole new door of recipes for gf...can't wait!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Silly question:

First of all, I got the book Living Gluten Free for Dummies from the library. Good read.

The author talks bout some unexpected places that have gluten, like play-doh. She says the following:

"Play-doh has gluten in it, and although kids aren't supposed to be eating it, show me one kid who can resist. I know I couldn't!"

Is it me, or is that weird? I never saw a kid eat play-doh. I, myself, never even thought about it. It seems gross. First of all, its not food. Second of all, how dirty would that be? All the hands that have poked and smooshed it. It smells funny and looks un-food-like. But thats just me, I guess. ???

Am I the abnormal one for not eating play-doh?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    No, Holly. You're not abnormal. But, let me just say, I teach middle school, and you'd be shocked what even THEY will put in their mouth (and it's not like they're little kids!)... :noway:
  • Mariettarose
    Options
    Thanks to MFP we found out the pain I had was from gluten...who knew eating healthy could actually make you feel better by getting rid of the food that was hurting you??? Now I'm trying to learn to eat gluten free and really missing my baking. I haven't had the money to get the ingredients to start baking gluten free. I hope to have the ingredients stocked by the holidays since I've always been the one to make really great snickerdoodles and would love to have some this year. It's nice to know there is someplace to come when I need to talk to someone who understands instead of the guys in my house. They try, but then they bring doughnuts and fresh baked bread into the house and wonder why I pout in my room. Glad you guys are all here, but not glad you had to go through the pain to get here...
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Silly question:

First of all, I got the book Living Gluten Free for Dummies from the library. Good read.

The author talks bout some unexpected places that have gluten, like play-doh. She says the following:

"Play-doh has gluten in it, and although kids aren't supposed to be eating it, show me one kid who can resist. I know I couldn't!"

Is it me, or is that weird? I never saw a kid eat play-doh. I, myself, never even thought about it. It seems gross. First of all, its not food. Second of all, how dirty would that be? All the hands that have poked and smooshed it. It smells funny and looks un-food-like. But thats just me, I guess. ???

Am I the abnormal one for not eating play-doh?

I vaguely recall my mom making homemade playdoh...I definitely remember a LOT of salt being in it...hmmm it's like flour salt *quick google*....oil water cream of tartar...food coloring/kool aid.

But here is a website with some alternative recipes if you are concerned about children eating the stuff, surely one of them is gf!
    http://www.playdoughrecipe.com/

(The traditional recipe at that link is just corn starch, water, and cream of tartar)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    So recently I have been cheating right and left, and my stomach and the scale hate me for it. Part of it was the fact that I haven't been eating rice in the last week, and I think my body was depending on it for calories and carbs. Plus, my bread cravings were driving me crazy!

So today I went to Sprouts and got some gluten free bread for the first time. I bought two, an Ener-G tapioca loaf, which is great heated up but a little grainy on it's own. The best one is called Udi's, and boy is it good! Tastes just like regular bread! I made a sandwich with hot roasted turkey, it was heavenly! I also got some Plan D Flourless Berry Blueberry Muffins that were rich and tasty, but only 110 calories (kept double-checking the package to make sure it was gluten free). I also bought some gluten free frozen pizza and some brown rice pasta for later in the week. I feel like I just had a huge gluten binge, and I'm tying not to feel guilty about it. :wink:

TropicalKitty, the idea of eating playdoh never crossed my mind either, though I did eat a few mudpies and leaves as a child :noway:
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    bump.
    and...

I found some pasta made with chick pea flour at the farmer's market today! I'm excited to try it.

Also, someone there said they knew someone takes benadryl so she can eat wheat...didn't think that worked...any of you try that?

Happy Saturday!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that about benedryl, but there is a supplement called glutenease that works great. I just tried another GF beer called Bard's, and it is soooooooooo much better than the other 2 , New Grist and Red Bridge.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I think the benedryl may help if you are only a little gluten sensitive. If you are gluten intolerant or have Celiac's, it won't help you. (Actually, I am only gluten sensitive, and it doesn't work for me, so beware).
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I think the benedryl may help if you are only a little gluten sensitive. If you are gluten intolerant or have Celiac's, it won't help you. (Actually, I am only gluten sensitive, and it doesn't work for me, so beware).

Agreed.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that about benedryl, but there is a supplement called glutenease that works great. I just tried another GF beer called Bard's, and it is soooooooooo much better than the other 2 , New Grist and Red Bridge.

Early on I was taking zyrtec or claritin, they seemed to help with the recovery from gluten but it thought I made it up. Why didn't anyone tell me about gluten ease? I'm definitely getting it for eating out and those occasional cheats (which I will try to avoid :embarassed: )

Is anyone else eating Udi's bread?
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

Early on I was taking zyrtec or claritin, they seemed to help with the recovery from gluten but it thought I made it up. Why didn't anyone tell me about gluten ease? I'm definitely getting it for eating out and those occasional cheats (which I will try to avoid :embarassed: )

Is anyone else eating Udi's bread?

I have not tried it yet but I have heard that it is awesome!!!
  • Sara628
    Sara628 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. I am a personal/private chef and I am gluten intolerant. I have been playing with recipes and trying numerous gluten-free products. Please feel free to email me if you are looking for good recipes or substitutes that are healthy.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

That's what I figured...plus what's the point if you are going to pass out from it anyway?

Now I'm curious about the glutenease...

And my reason comes from this mini story: went to a comedy club last week where everything was fried. Except for: nachos or a grilled chicken sandwich (burger, sandwiches, etc sans bun, but really like I'm going to say "Hi I'd like a pile of turkey please!")...even the veggies were fried - hello fried zucchini! At least with something like the glutenease I'd have a little buffer for some options to eat when I'm stuck, but hey, less food meant I had more room for booze! :drinker:
  • amjenti
    amjenti Posts: 12
    Options
    I was reading through these posts and it dawned on me hours later, like a thought I heard the "ding" from my realization. lol
    I have made note to my mom many months ago that I love Vietnamese/Asian foods and how my stomach doesn't hurt and how smooth and bloat free I fee.

My husband was on a business trip and during that week I was cooking Japanese, Vietnamese foods for breakfast to dinner for myself and my teenage daughter. And my tummy was a very happy camper (and so was I) that I continued it for 3 additional weeks. "ding" "ding" "ding"..... I was eating rice, soy, veggies, rice noodles, seafood etc.. I didn't eat breads (whole wheat like I make at home) nor was I eating much of anything that had wheat gluten in it.

So thank you everyone for posting your experiences. This has helped me in a big way.:flowerforyou:
    Now that the connection made it's "ding" in my brain :blushing: I will continue this test to make a self confirmation.

I just wanted to share my story. :wink:

AM