Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank you all for starting this thread...my husband, who by NO means eats well (seriously, I call him Mr. Little Debbie if that gives you any ideas), but he regularly is fighting abdominal pain, cramping, etc., and if I think about what he consumes in the 12-24 hours prior to the most severe bouts, I'm thinking there may be a gluten issue. Of course, it may also be contributed to the fact that he eats CRAP most of the day (breakfast is Little Debbie Swiss Cake rolls or powdered doughnuts and Coca Cola, lunch is generally McDonald's, and he'll eat something 'healthier' that I fix for dinner which generally involves a lean protein, some veggies, sweet potato or pasta/grain (i.e. couscous, quinoa).

He's away working for the summer, but it'll be interesting to see what a week of gluten-free eating might do for him when he returns. Alas, it'll be quite a challenge, as he's fought me on every single healthy diet change I've implemented over the past 18 months and he is the PICKIEST eater in the WORLD. Seriously, I just want to shake him sometimes and say, "EAT IT!!"

I don't even know where to start with regards to a new diet. Obviously, I need to do some research myself because if left to his own means, he'll continue to stuff his face with things that are clearly not good choices for him, and then complain about how badly his stomach hurts at 4:00 in the morning.
  • Sara628
    Sara628 Posts: 2
    Options
    @glfprincess --

Regarding your husband it may take longer than a week for him to get the benefits. I ate a pretty healthy diet before going GF and it took me a month to get the full benefits from eating GF. Now, if I have something that is tainted, I know within an hour. Since your husband eats a bunch of crap it may take him up to three months to fully detox... and if he is anything like my dad, you will have to be on top of him regarding his diet. For example, my mom packs my dad a healthy lunch every day... only to later find out that he gives it to his secretary at least three times a week and then hits a fast food joint (fast food has never been allowed in my family)... one has to laugh at my dad's "charity" but in the long run its no laughing matter.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    @glfprincess --

Regarding your husband it may take longer than a week for him to get the benefits. I ate a pretty healthy diet before going GF and it took me a month to get the full benefits from eating GF. Now, if I have something that is tainted, I know within an hour. Since your husband eats a bunch of crap it may take him up to three months to fully detox... and if he is anything like my dad, you will have to be on top of him regarding his diet. For example, my mom packs my dad a healthy lunch every day... only to later find out that he gives it to his secretary at least three times a week and then hits a fast food joint (fast food has never been allowed in my family)... one has to laugh at my dad's "charity" but in the long run its no laughing matter.

Sigh...you're right...this will probably be the most difficult task I will ever face.
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    @glfprincess --

I was beginning to wonder if gf was working for me. I was feeling good and doing good then had a slip partly because I was still having some tummy problems but it had only been about 2 weeks. I am back to gf but it is good to know it may take longer than a week to get the full benefits!

Still watching for the Betty C GF bisquick!! Anyone got it in their area yet?
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I have a 15 mo old son who is going to be undergoing the labs to determine if he has celiac disease this week - He has been having digestive issues since he was born - we originally thought it was dairy, I was nursing him and cut dairy out of my diet almost completely - when he turned a year we tried cows milk, but he still had issues so we had him on soy. It did help a little bit, but for the most part he had still been having symptoms so today at his 15 mo checkup she recommended we go in for the celiac workup. I'm not scared by the disease because then at least we would have an answer to his multiple loose stools, terrible gas, and tummy cramps, however I am overwhelmed by EVERYTHING that has gluten in it. Should the tests come back positive we are going to have to overhaul our entire way of eating and that does scare me!! While I know a GF diet will defninitely be healthier for all of us I am a little intimidated by it!! Anyway any advice you may have for me would be appreciated!! Thanks :ohwell:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Hi all - I have a 15 mo old son who is going to be undergoing the labs to determine if he has celiac disease this week - He has been having digestive issues since he was born - we originally thought it was dairy, I was nursing him and cut dairy out of my diet almost completely - when he turned a year we tried cows milk, but he still had issues so we had him on soy. It did help a little bit, but for the most part he had still been having symptoms so today at his 15 mo checkup she recommended we go in for the celiac workup. I'm not scared by the disease because then at least we would have an answer to his multiple loose stools, terrible gas, and tummy cramps, however I am overwhelmed by EVERYTHING that has gluten in it. Should the tests come back positive we are going to have to overhaul our entire way of eating and that does scare me!! While I know a GF diet will defninitely be healthier for all of us I am a little intimidated by it!! Anyway any advice you may have for me would be appreciated!! Thanks :ohwell:

Check out the book "Living Gluten Free for Dummies" The author went through something similar with her son at a very young age. It might be very comforting for you. It is also the best source of gluten-free information I have found altogether, to be perfectly honest. I got it from the library. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding it. She also runs a program for celiac kids. Very valuable information and support, especially at your sons age. Don't get discouraged by all the info, it is alot. But once you get through the bulk, it really does get easier. You may wonder why gluten is in anything at all after a while.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Check out the book "Living Gluten Free for Dummies" The author went through something similar with her son at a very young age. It might be very comforting for you. It is also the best source of gluten-free information I have found altogether, to be perfectly honest. I got it from the library. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding it. She also runs a program for celiac kids. Very valuable information and support, especially at your sons age. Don't get discouraged by all the info, it is alot. But once you get through the bulk, it really does get easier. You may wonder why gluten is in anything at all after a while.

Thanks so much - I am going to check out that book - I have found the lists and things online, but none of them deal with kids that much. How am I supposed to tell him he can't have that cookie his grandma baked because she didn't use GF flour - this is the part I'm struggling with. We spend a lot of time out with family and friends at BBQ's, dinners, parties etc... and I can see how it would be so hard to make sure the food he is eating is safe for him especially when I didn't make it and I don't know what is in it!!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm glad you decided to come on over!
    I'm sure grandma will make sure there are gluten free cookies just as mine made sure the food she gave me didn't have nuts or lard. IF it turns out he has it, you will simply have a family meeting and everyone will buy in. It will be fine. :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much - I am going to check out that book - I have found the lists and things online, but none of them deal with kids that much. How am I supposed to tell him he can't have that cookie his grandma baked because she didn't use GF flour - this is the part I'm struggling with. We spend a lot of time out with family and friends at BBQ's, dinners, parties etc... and I can see how it would be so hard to make sure the food he is eating is safe for him especially when I didn't make it and I don't know what is in it!!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Hey, I'm glad you decided to come on over!
    I'm sure grandma will make sure there are gluten free cookies just as mine made sure the food she gave me didn't have nuts or lard. IF it turns out he has it, you will simply have a family meeting and everyone will buy in. It will be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    hpruett - Sorry to hear what your son has been going through, but I hope you can get it figured out. If he does have Celiac's, it doesn't have to be the end of the world. Think of all the children who have severe allergies to peanuts who go to school or all the other children who have dealt with Celiac's and are fine. It'll take work, but since he is young, he doesn't know the world any other way than what you teach him. And if grandma is nice enough to make him cookies, I'm sure she's caring enough to not do it with wheat based flour. My mom, who always seems to try to sabotage my healthy ways, even bought me gluten free crackers and such the last time I visited. You can and will get through it! :flowerforyou:
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

Still watching for the Betty C GF bisquick!! Anyone got it in their area yet?

If you go to (try this if it works for you http://consumercontacts.generalmills.com/CrunchProdAvailability/ProductAvailability.aspx?m=10 ) you can search from betty crocker's site for products. I searched for their gluten free products and the bisquick isn't within 50miles of Nashville. However the other stuff - brownies and ccookies I can get outside of the city. I'm going to see if it's possible to buy the Bisquick online somewhere, though.

Note, I searched Miami, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Gulf Shores, Nashville, Seattle, Chicago, New York for the Bisquick and I got nothing in a 50mi radius. Maybe it's not released yet?....

HAHAHAHA I just read the top of the page "Coming Summer 2010" give it a little more time, the locator thing is for the past 90 days

Editing once more: Found this discussion thread: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/70618-gluten-free-bisquick-at-publix/
    So people are finding it. And I need to not have coffee because I'm wired and obsessed with finding this now. haha
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Follow-up: I'm in fat girl gluten free happy land. I screamed when I saw the stuff. :blushing: Found all 4 gf Betty Crocker baking products at Kroger. Yes, the Bisquick was there! It was $4.79 for 16oz (a small box). The recipes on the box look pretty close to the original bisquick recipes - maybe a little more egg, though. I think chicken fingers will be the first thing I make!

I think the bf is excited to try some of the stuff with me. I'm glad to find some of these things so when I have the tickle for a not-so-good-for-you thing, I have that option without making myself sick to boot. I'm still confused why it's so expensive - rice is so flipping cheap! I can buy a pound of white rice for like 60cents. Lame.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a lurker on this thread, and this might be old news to you guys, but I thought you might find it interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10713775

All the best,

Erika x
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Follow-up: I'm in fat girl gluten free happy land. I screamed when I saw the stuff. :blushing: Found all 4 gf Betty Crocker baking products at Kroger. Yes, the Bisquick was there! It was $4.79 for 16oz (a small box). The recipes on the box look pretty close to the original bisquick recipes - maybe a little more egg, though. I think chicken fingers will be the first thing I make!

I think the bf is excited to try some of the stuff with me. I'm glad to find some of these things so when I have the tickle for a not-so-good-for-you thing, I have that option without making myself sick to boot. I'm still confused why it's so expensive - rice is so flipping cheap! I can buy a pound of white rice for like 60cents. Lame.

Most of our stuff is not made of rice its made of a mixture of flours. They normally mix the flours since each does a different thing and different taste. So when each flour costs like 6.00 for a box it adds up.
    I made a banana nut bread and it cost me close to $20 since I didnt have anything on hand. Also cost me 500 calories to eat a small section of it as well.
    Ians makes a chicken finger that isnt to bad. Its in the frozen section. I will roll mine in GF cereal and bake. I am fortunate to be around alot of stores that caryy GF food.
    Gillians Foods makes a good very fine italian seasoned bread crumb mix. I top it on mac and cheese or roll pieces of chicken or fish in them.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

Most of our stuff is not made of rice its made of a mixture of flours. They normally mix the flours since each does a different thing and different taste. So when each flour costs like 6.00 for a box it adds up.
    I made a banana nut bread and it cost me close to $20 since I didnt have anything on hand. Also cost me 500 calories to eat a small section of it as well.
    Ians makes a chicken finger that isnt to bad. Its in the frozen section. I will roll mine in GF cereal and bake. I am fortunate to be around alot of stores that caryy GF food.
    Gillians Foods makes a good very fine italian seasoned bread crumb mix. I top it on mac and cheese or roll pieces of chicken or fish in them.

Oh I know most things are a mix - I'm a label reader! :) I was referring to the Betty Crocker stuff - it's made with rice flour. Except for something that had potato too.

I'm working on finding the gf stuff since different stores carry different things. I'm still in that learning curve. I'll have to see if I can find the Gillian's bread crumb. Although, I don't know what my deal is. I've been using herbs n such for a while, but now that I know wheat is of limits, I can't handle not having the option of making a real chicken parm or pork chop etc.

Do you use like corn flakes?
  • kevmagashmom
    kevmagashmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi--New here!! I have been GF since Dec. 15, 2010. I won't go on and on with my story since it is pretty similar to others who have posted. I'm excited to have some people to get info from on new recipes and foods. Also, interested to try the Bards...I've been drinking Red Bridge and different Ciders for the summer and will love something new.

@ hpruett -- the only reason I found out I was gluten sensitive was because of my daughter. She had a lot of the symptoms you talk about your son having. After constant health issues and screaming herself to sleep and naps my husband and I couldn't take any more. She has gone to two pediatric GI docs had 2 EGD/colonscopies with NO results. However, when she eats gluten she is CRAZY!! This started at 4 months (as soon as we fed her gluten). She had no regular BMs, she had undigested food when we started regular foods, multiple viruses and ear infections, unhappy (never smiled)...I could go on for hours.

Long story short....after her second EGD/Colonscopy the doctor SUGGESTED (can u believe it) and we decided just to keep her GF. She is 3 1/2 now and really, really happy. So, good luck, just really trust yourself and fight for your son and his health. We had some REALLY bad experiences and some really good ones!!

Then I got sick....really, really sick. Constant stomach pain, diarrhea (which was sort of normal, but this was daily and bad enough I could barely get the kids to school without needing to run to the bathroom), pain/swelling in all the joints in my right arm. I couldn't even open a can. I went online and took a DNA test for celiac disease (even though all my blood tests were negative). Sure enough, I carry the gene. That was enough for me. After 2 months on the GF diet, I went back in for blood tests. My Vitamin D was back up to normal and no swelling/pain in my joints. I felt great and all that brain fog was gone.....okay, not all, but I have a 3 and 5 yr old....they are to blame for some of that!!

So, happy to find the thread...maybe this will get me to lose some weight. Kind of stuck right now.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Hi--New here!! I have been GF since Dec. 15, 2010. I won't go on and on with my story since it is pretty similar to others who have posted. I'm excited to have some people to get info from on new recipes and foods. Also, interested to try the Bards...I've been drinking Red Bridge and different Ciders for the summer and will love something new.

@ hpruett -- the only reason I found out I was gluten sensitive was because of my daughter. She had a lot of the symptoms you talk about your son having. After constant health issues and screaming herself to sleep and naps my husband and I couldn't take any more. She has gone to two pediatric GI docs had 2 EGD/colonscopies with NO results. However, when she eats gluten she is CRAZY!! This started at 4 months (as soon as we fed her gluten). She had no regular BMs, she had undigested food when we started regular foods, multiple viruses and ear infections, unhappy (never smiled)...I could go on for hours.

Long story short....after her second EGD/Colonscopy the doctor SUGGESTED (can u believe it) and we decided just to keep her GF. She is 3 1/2 now and really, really happy. So, good luck, just really trust yourself and fight for your son and his health. We had some REALLY bad experiences and some really good ones!!

Then I got sick....really, really sick. Constant stomach pain, diarrhea (which was sort of normal, but this was daily and bad enough I could barely get the kids to school without needing to run to the bathroom), pain/swelling in all the joints in my right arm. I couldn't even open a can. I went online and took a DNA test for celiac disease (even though all my blood tests were negative). Sure enough, I carry the gene. That was enough for me. After 2 months on the GF diet, I went back in for blood tests. My Vitamin D was back up to normal and no swelling/pain in my joints. I felt great and all that brain fog was gone.....okay, not all, but I have a 3 and 5 yr old....they are to blame for some of that!!

So, happy to find the thread...maybe this will get me to lose some weight. Kind of stuck right now.

Can you provide the website where you bought the DNA test? Thanks.
  • kevmagashmom
    kevmagashmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought it at www.myceliacid.com It's run through Prometheus Labs which is one of the suggested labs by the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center (www.celiacdisease.net). I emailed with a nurse from U of Chicago before I did the test just to make sure there was some medical backing to it. I'm an RN so I know that all testing is not always accurate. The test was easy to use and I printed out the results and brought them in to my Nurse Practioner. She felt that was enough to say that at the least I'm gluten intolerant. I didn't feel like any further testing was going to change the results...I need to be gluten free to be the healthiest I can.

Enough babbling....couldn't you go on for hours about this stuff?
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I bought it at www.myceliacid.com It's run through Prometheus Labs which is one of the suggested labs by the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center (www.celiacdisease.net). I emailed with a nurse from U of Chicago before I did the test just to make sure there was some medical backing to it. I'm an RN so I know that all testing is not always accurate. The test was easy to use and I printed out the results and brought them in to my Nurse Practioner. She felt that was enough to say that at the least I'm gluten intolerant. I didn't feel like any further testing was going to change the results...I need to be gluten free to be the healthiest I can.

Enough babbling....couldn't you go on for hours about this stuff?

The quick little thing I just searched with that website looks legit. They're looking at the histocompatibility complex genetic data, which there's a good amount of publication on the two types being connected to Celiac's. That company just does some quick DNA extraction (I LOVE those spit kits! so easy to use and work with!), quick lab DNA magic, and you get your results. I just wish I had the data they did so I could just test myself at work to see if I have any of the alleles in me. haha
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I actually have the lab slip from my doctor to go for the Promethius genetic test. Insurance doens't cover it, so I have been procrastinating big time :ohwell: I really do need to go get it done, though.