Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Anyone willing to ship gf Bisquick to me? I used regular Bisquick all the time before and it is so slow getting to my little corner of the world. Pancakes, biscuits, shortcake, casserole topper, sausage balls...must I go on at what I know I could have if only I had the bisquick!!!! Who does seem to have it?

I'll hook you up...where are you? I've seen it a bunch! I find it in the regular aisle where the normal cake mixes and bisquick is, not in the gf/organic area of the store. I find it regularly at Kroger down here - along with all the cake mixes, cookie mix, and brownie mix too. That silly search in your area function on the website isn't very good - it didn't have any of my Krogers listed. Have you tried Target? Like the big Super Targets.
  • littlemac
    Options
    Hey everyone - I'm gluten free (CD) and in Canada!

Things here are a bit different - things that are labelled there aren't here (Crystal Light, etc), so that sucks. But we're starting to catch up - Betty Crocker doesn't sell here, but a friend brought me some home that was pretty good (I think I still prefer Glutino though).

I found out in spring 2009, and found the adjustment really hard in the beginning. I would allow myself cheat meals (hello pizza! burgers!) but with each exposure my reactions got worse and worse, until it was simply unsafe for me to risk it. When I am exposed to minute amounts, I feel it within in minutes, because my stomach starts to cramp in a very specific way.

I was wondering - does anyone know of a decent burger bun? I'm dying to have a hamburger!
  • littlemac
    Options
    I am in Gluten free and in Canada too...aiden's makes a really good bread substitute - just google aidens gluten free and you can see the locations - I finally got my hamburger(with a bun and not a 'lettuce bun' this year (thats where i would just wrap the meat in lettuce......
    Their bread is probably the closest to real bread I have had - the buns are good and the have pizza shells 'baguettes' artisan style loafs etc....I stopped eating gluten free bread products (unless i made them) until i found this because the other stuff was so horrible. the worst part for me is that i'd had bad stomach problems my whole life and never been tested or really heard about celiac much until we moved here and I was a pastry chef so now i am back in school...again.
    I was sick all the time and developed numerous other allergies (i think because of the gluten exposure it just made me more sensitive to everthing and had surgery - its been quite an adventure. I also can't do cows milk but can tolerate sheep and goat in small amounts and luckily there is some good stuff in toronto!
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm in Canada (Saskatchewan) and O'Doughs is the best I've had. They are even pretty good not toasted and they make my favourite bread as well. I can only get it from one store here, so I'm not sure how widely they distribute. I also just tried El Peto's shelf stable version and when toasted, they're actually not bad. Both of these brands stay together very well.

Here's the O'Doughs website... http://www.odoughs.com/purchase.php
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Ok, today's the day: I will make my first foray into gluten-free baking. I will be making pamela's gluten free cornbread from her mix. Wish me luck!
  • cutmd
    Options
    Omg it's sooooooo good! I can't tell it's gluten free. My body keeps saying - "hey, you're gonna feel terrible tomorrow if you eat this cause it has gluten", but it doesn't!!!!!!!:happy:

Course now I can't stop eating it cause I haven't had cornbread in soooo long!!!!! :embarassed:

My life is saved!!!!
  • StephStoker
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been coeliac for about ten years now and still find myself struggling to diet as I don't have time to cook slot and am always just grabbing what I can.
    I started getting chest pains while I was in primary school that were constant pains but got worse sometimes to the point of passing out in pain.
    After eight years of pain and operations and tests and cutting everything out of my diet, it was accidentally discovered that I had coeliac.
    I still have chest pains but nowhere near as bad as I used to ad the doctors, as useless as always, can't seem to find any explanation for this as I follow a gluten and wheat free diet.
    I'm trying to lose weight to get back down to what I used to be but I am struggling for recipies and meal ideas that are both healthy and gluten free. I have a busy lifestyle so don't have time to prepare meals very often.

Pleased to see there's more than just me as the disease is fairly unheard of where I live in England and it's made especially difficult when I go to a restaurant and they lie about ingredients because they don't understand me (happens far too often) as my symptoms are fairly rare for coeliac.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Omg it's sooooooo good! I can't tell it's gluten free. My body keeps saying - "hey, you're gonna feel terrible tomorrow if you eat this cause it has gluten", but it doesn't!!!!!!!:happy:

Course now I can't stop eating it cause I haven't had cornbread in soooo long!!!!! :embarassed:

My life is saved!!!!

Rock on! I was surprised when I picked up cornbread mix and it had wheat it in - *ahem* it's CORN bread...why's there wheat?

I'm glad it's good! I got some of the Bob's or Hodgson Mill (something in a clear bag) gf cornbread too. I haven't gotten the nerve to try it yet. Maybe I should now!

Oh on a side note! Had my first hamburger since the beginning of June. :love: Found Kinnikinnick brand hamburger buns. Woot! They're the ones that make the pizza crust that I like. I'm so happy! They also make bread, so maybe now I'll try the regular bread and have a nice turkey sandwich that I've been craving for the past 2 months! Hooray for getting to feel normal-ish again :drinker: (sorghum beer that is)
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Steph, glad you found us. Sorry you've been having a hard time with recipes. I found out about my troubles about 2 months ago and it is quite the adjustment. Hopefully we can help you. Going out people don't always understand what we need, sometimes I find someone who totally gets it, though. There's been an increase in awareness here (or so it seems), perhaps it'll spread across the "pond" to England as well.

Do you have time to cook on the weekends? I find that helps me a lot to prep meals and freeze them so I can just grab them and go. That worked even before my wheat issues.
  • cutmd
    Options
    See, this just proves that gluten is my problem. When I would tell people I can't have gluten, they would say, "bread makes everyone bloated". But I ate half a pan of gluten free cornbread yesterday and I lost weight and can see my abs and am a little less bloated as I get further out from that pita sandwich. So it's not just carbs/bread!

Welcome steph! I don't usually cook anything that takes more than 20 mins. My standard meals are kale salads, meat and veggies, fruit, beans, gluten free bread/crackers and oatmeal, etc. Many of these are grab n go, or I can sautee them or throw a sandwich together rather quickly. Just takes a little planning
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Kinnikinnick makes good doughnuts and cookies too. I like that some of ther stuff is also dairy and egg free. I buy the cinnamon doughnuts and the oreos-type cookies for my daughter. Sometimes I sneak a doughnut in after dinner just for fun.:tongue:

And to Steph- Welcome to the group!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Kinnikinnick makes good doughnuts and cookies too. I like that some of ther stuff is also dairy and egg free. I buy the cinnamon doughnuts and the oreos-type cookies for my daughter. Sometimes I sneak a doughnut in after dinner just for fun.:tongue:

And to Steph- Welcome to the group!

Cookies?

Oh. No. I swear I need to stop trying all the naughty foods!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - I'm gluten free (CD) and in Canada!

Things here are a bit different - things that are labelled there aren't here (Crystal Light, etc), so that sucks. But we're starting to catch up - Betty Crocker doesn't sell here, but a friend brought me some home that was pretty good (I think I still prefer Glutino though).

I found out in spring 2009, and found the adjustment really hard in the beginning. I would allow myself cheat meals (hello pizza! burgers!) but with each exposure my reactions got worse and worse, until it was simply unsafe for me to risk it. When I am exposed to minute amounts, I feel it within in minutes, because my stomach starts to cramp in a very specific way.

I was wondering - does anyone know of a decent burger bun? I'm dying to have a hamburger!

Hello to the canadian celiac. I use glutino's english muffins for hamburger buns. Toasted is best, they taste great and are the right size. Also i keep kinnikinnick bun/bread mix handy for quick dinner rolls and bread. So gooooood. Just like I remember bread, soft, and light. They also make great pizza dough. My husband actualy wants my breads & pizza, and he can eat anything. I love doing pizza with a bbq sauce base, top with roasted chicken, red peppers, fetta, camalized onions and mozzarella. Good eats.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been coeliac for about ten years now and still find myself struggling to diet as I don't have time to cook slot and am always just grabbing what I can.
    I started getting chest pains while I was in primary school that were constant pains but got worse sometimes to the point of passing out in pain.
    After eight years of pain and operations and tests and cutting everything out of my diet, it was accidentally discovered that I had coeliac.
    I still have chest pains but nowhere near as bad as I used to ad the doctors, as useless as always, can't seem to find any explanation for this as I follow a gluten and wheat free diet.
    I'm trying to lose weight to get back down to what I used to be but I am struggling for recipies and meal ideas that are both healthy and gluten free. I have a busy lifestyle so don't have time to prepare meals very often.

Pleased to see there's more than just me as the disease is fairly unheard of where I live in England and it's made especially difficult when I go to a restaurant and they lie about ingredients because they don't understand me (happens far too often) as my symptoms are fairly rare for coeliac.

Sorry for the late entry - posted a response days ago but it's lost in cyber space.

My symptoms are about 95% controled on my GF diet, but there are non-gluten foods, like cashews or corn, that will flare up my symptoms if I eat a lot of them. Maybe you have more food intolerances than you realize, and need a more restrictive diet:noway: :sad: to relieve your chest pain.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    What an interesting gf weekend!

Finally tried some gf bread - the Kinnikinnick bread, not too shabby. Or at least good enough to satisfy my desire for a turkey sandwich! (I'm going to have to look for the their pizza dough now too, nutshel) At the farmer's market, these two girls make gf breads and had a good white one. Wasn't quite like a sandwich bread, but something I'd grab a slice and put butter on to snack. Yea!

Went to a babyshower...thought I was doing well. Grabbed shrimp, meatballs, apple slices, potatoes...and snow peas out of pasta salad because there were no other veggies out. Mistake! I felt the bloat 2 hours later and you guys know the rest. I can't believe I didn't think about the pasta residue being on the snow peas! At least my head was in the right spot about trying to get veggies, right? All evening I was thinking there had been breadcrumbs in the meatballs - nope! Lesson? Learned.

Lastly, made the Betty Crocker yellow cake. Yums! Nice thing about it, you have to add the vanilla to it, so you can really change it up how you want to - lemon, strawberry, almond, lime, whatever.

So much for losing weight now...hahaha
  • cutmd
    Options
    Tropicalkitty, sorry to hear about your gluten exposure. Don't go picking through any pasta that isn't gluten free! :noway:
    Try udi's gluten free bread - you'll love it! I can't wait to try the better crocker cake. I sent some mix to my mom so she could work on converting my favorite cake - a lemon cake she makes for me - to gluten free:tongue: don't remember if it was betty crocker or pamela's (probably the latter).

Speaking of pamela's, my silster in law came down with her family for the weekend, and her daughter (my niece) wanted pancakes. I busted out the pamela's baking mix I never tried and we made gluten free pancakes that were delicious and everyone loved them!!! I am happy my family is so willing to try new things for my sake! :happy:
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    Bought my first loaf of gf bread today- I have not been able to get anything but EnerG Light Brown Rice Bread- I can't wait to be able to order Udi! TropicalKitty- you're not the only one needing a turkey sandwich, that was my motivation to get bread.

2 questions about gf bread- for those of you who buy it over the internet- does it get to your house in one piece or smashed? Second- until I find some that does not have a dried out texture, how do you fix that? Refrige it or pile on the mustard and juicy tomato- any tricks?

My latest gf find is Calbee Snapea Crisps and Jennies Coconut Macaroons. I also bought but have not tried- gf blueberry waffles and rice tortillas.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    heartnsoul - I like the Kinnikinnick bread. It's not very dry at all like the EnerG stuff feels like (thru the packaging at the store).
    http://consumer.kinnikinnick.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.home/productcategoryid/#

Shipping is high because it's frozen (at least in the store it is). But they have hot dog buns on sale! *woot*

One trick I used in the past for dry real bread was to microwave it or toast it. But I've noticed that because of the flours that are used in this stuff, they naturally have a hidden dryness (even my BC yellow cake with 3 eggs and a stick of butter had a dryness to it). It's that special gooey stuff that gluten adds to baked goods...the lil protein *kitten*.

Van's blueberry waffles get the thumbs up from me.

Happy eats! :)
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    Hi, I have known about being celiac since October, but I have only 'officially' gone gluten free about 2 1/2 weeks ago (I was weak. I like pizza) Anyway, I was wondering if when any of you starting eating gluten free did you drop weight rapidly? I have been losing about a lb a day for the past 10 days. I've read this is normal cause my body no longer thinks I am starving (aka I am finally getting all those pesky nutrients and vitamins) but this hasn't happened to any other celaics that I know. Not that I am complaining or anything! Just curious. And wondering when its going to suddenly stop! Hopefully after 30 lbs or so!!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    When I went gluten free, about a year ago I took it seriouly, I dropped 10 pounds. It took about 3 months befor I noticed it as I wasn't even thinking of losing weight at the time. I was just wanting to get healthy and get rid of the eat and be sick cycle. I don't know if it was the change of food, or if it was the renewed energy. After that I decided to get even healthier by getting rid of my extra 50 lbs. I now eat for nutrition and energy and the weight is slowly coming off and about 5 lbs a month. No plateaus yet. Maybe for a week but I only have one offical weigh in a month.