Calling all runners!

Options
Ok so I just started running last night and I want to get some advice on becoming a runner and some good tips! I want to avoid shin splints and lower leg/foot pain. Also want to know what's the best snack to have before a run. I want to lose weight but I also want to build endurance. When I ran last night, well maybe I should call it walking with a small amount of jogging, I couldn't last long! I walked for 4 1/2 mins and then ran for about 30 seconds. Seriously.... 30 seconds is all I could run without feeling like I was going to drop! It took me about 4 mins to get my breathing under control! I was out of breath pretty much the whole time! I know that I am a beginner and that it's going to take some time to build up to running more but I was just wanting to get some tips on running and all. Also, I was wanting to know if there is any beginning runners group on here.

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of sneakers. That's the best advice I can give you to avoid pain! Also, make sure to take a day off in between runs if you need to. I don't eat much before I go for a run, half a banana or a bit of a protein shake that I finish afterwards. I like to have something in my stomach, but not a big, heavy meal. Look in to the couch to 5k program, it's what I did to help me get in to running. Started out only running for 30 seconds and I can now run for 30 minutes! So keep at it man, it gets easier the more you do it.
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    firstly you dont need to become a runner you ARE a runner :) maybe when you were running you started out too fast ? when i first started running I struggled because I couldnt find the right pace and would burn out also in about 30 seconds once i'd slowed down i found i could run for longer & also dont forget your body isnt used to running yet so it might be a shock to the system but slowly over time it will all become much easier ! in regards to shin splints i found doing too much too soon caused havoc & i was also told by a friend who is a famous ultra distance runner not to tie your laces too tight as this restricts blood flow ect x before you run say 30 mins before have a banana or some wholemeal toast - another tip if you havent already is spend a little money on decent running gear not alot but you will find the right pair of trainers and the right type of material for your tops will make you more comfotable :) im no expert just sharing what ive learnt over this last year - I couldnt run for longer than a minute and in 11 days i will be running my first half marathon !!

p.s get a begginers training plan and follow that it makes it easier to monitor how much your doing :)
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the beginner training plan if you would like me to send you it via email :)
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Second the go to a local running store to get fitted. not a big box. Not a regular shoe store. The small running specialty store is best.

Are you following a plan? If not, consider couch to 5k. Excellent.

Your story of how much running and walking you did is common. And many people who were where you are now run distances they once didn't think possible - and enjoy it. Most importantly, enjoy the journey. And, FWIW, I wouldn't snack before the run.
  • planetrunner
    Options
    Same story as you circa April 2011. Have since progressed to running 2 half marathons and a full-marathon in the span of 1 year.

First step, as you will hear over and over, get fitted properly. If you have something like a Running Room (Canada), it's worth checking it out.

Second step, get some motivation. If you need help getting past 30 seconds of running, join a beginners running group. Learn how to run properly and chat with people as you run. It'll build your confidence to run in public and make you feel good.

Third step, keeping doing intervals. Run 1 minute, walk 1 minute and repeat. Gradually increase your running time.

Fourth step, register for a race several months down the road (i.e. 5K, Spartan...). Mentally and financially motivating.

Fifth step, write out a weekly schedule and stick to it. Print it out. Stick it on your fridge. Cross out the runs you complete.

From there, you'll find a wealth of tools, toys and resources that are fun to explore. Skip these periphery and complimentary items until you have a good running base under you.

Good luck!
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know it can be discouraging when you first start, but understand it gets better. There are a ton of programs for people like you just starting out running Couch to 5k seems to be popular on here and I am sure it works. As the poster above mentioned having a good fitting and proper (for you) running shoe is also very important to prevent injury. ..Last advice start slow both in mileage and at pace. if you need to walk, walk.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have the beginner training plan if you would like me to send you it via email :)

Thanks but I may start with that couch to 5k program. :)
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    Buy yourself good running shoes. Check out the C25K program. It will ease you off the couch and into running a 5k. They have apps to help. You can do this!
  • chris1529
    Options
    Funny cause a couple of you have mentioned eating a banana a little before a run and I was thinking about that last night! I want to try running every other day. That way I don't get too many injuries and I'm giving myself some rest in between. I was thinking of strength training on my off days, which I guess would be like every other day as well. Can you work a certain muscle group once or twice a week and still build up strength or should it be done more often?
  • chris1529
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k. It was perfect for me. I liked it so much that after I had a stress fracture last winter, I eased back into running by doing C25K all over again.
  • fudgiemudge
    Options
    The couch to 5K running program is a great way to ease your body into a regular running routine if you are used to running. There is a free app for smart phones that helps you to follow the program and they have an online site. I start it this summer and love it! And yes, I agree with the above comment, "You are a runner." We were built to run, we have just ventured away from the habit.

Good luck!
    :happy:
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started with C25k as well, joined a running group, researched the sport and all it's lingo, and bought a fab pair of sneaks. Take it slowly. That's the most important thing. Soon you'll be running 6-10-13-26 miles like it's nothing. Congrats!

*side note: Ice baths save you from throwing your sneaks out of a window and never running again. LOL After a 13+ mile run I sit my happy stiff butt into a bath tub with cold ice water and soak. It totally helps.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Join the group, it's great inspiration. It really is just about building up endurance and putting time into it whenever possible. You're doing yourself a great service.

Keep up the great work. :)
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    yet another plug for the couch to 5k program (it really is fantastic!)

plus- if you're looking to incorporate strength training as part of your overall program, it COULD be a good idea to add a few exercises that work at preventing some common muscle imbalances experienced by runners.

for me... that's keeping my glutes & core strong so that my quads & IT band don't work overtime causing a bunch of problems.

but it's different for everyone
    & hey-- you could be one of the lucky ones who has a strong enough base that there WON'T be any problems!

but for more info...
    sometimes you can find some relevant stuff here:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-241-0-0-0,00.html
  • chris1529
    Options
    Thanks for giving me some great advice! I will definitely have to look into the C25K program and remember to take it slow. My shins bother me a lot. I am a little sore from last nights run but not too bad. I figure I will do 30 mins of my walk/jog every other night and then just build from there as my endurance builds. I hear that running is great for weight loss and stress reduction. My dad used to be a runner and he was super thin when he ran marathons!
  • chris1529
    Options
    bump
  • dmh0204
    Options
    I don't know if you are afraid of this at all, but I read about beginning runners on here all the time, saying they are afraid of walking, especially signing up for a race and walking. And I laugh and laugh. Because every runner out there in the world knows what a walker is going through. Because they were a walker at one point. So just keep at it. Intervals--shorten the walking time, lengthen the running time, and put them all together.

I strength train in between my runs. But I do 2 days of running, 1 day of strength training, and 1 day off. I find I can't recover enough on my strength training days to just jump back into running.

And I highly recommend cranking some tunes. Sometimes, I feel like my ipod is the only thing propelling me forward. But it gets me out there.

Races are good motivators, too.

Just keep getting out there. Even if all you can do is walk to the end of the block.
  • chris1529
    Options
    I'm not afraid of just walking more than running lol. But I do want to build up to where I am running more than walking. I kinda dread running tonight cause I am sore. I wasn't this sore yesterday. I figure that I will try running every other day. I'm hoping that I can do the same as I did Tuesday but honestly with how sore I feel right now, I don't know if I will be able to. I'm going to try though lol. I'm sore in places that I didn't even know gets worked out while running. For example, my stomach, inner thighs and outter thighs hurt. My lower back is a little sore too.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm going to shamelessly plug cough to 5k as well! I'm currently on week 5, I've repeated weeks and days a few times but i love it! and i honestly thought i would NEVER ever in the world enjoy running.

I'm coupling it with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred at the moment. I run and do the shred on the same day, tues, thurs and sat (with a swim on fridays). I started trying to alternate like you suggested i.e. run monday, 30ds tues, run weds, 30ds thurs etc, but i found it too much, and decided to give myself rest days. coincidentally, around this time when i laid off exercise every day, my scale started moving again after a 6 week stop.

Hope this is helpful :)