Replies

• philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    follow the c25k plan
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of sneakers. That's the best advice I can give you to avoid pain! Also, make sure to take a day off in between runs if you need to. I don't eat much before I go for a run, half a banana or a bit of a protein shake that I finish afterwards. I like to have something in my stomach, but not a big, heavy meal. Look in to the couch to 5k program, it's what I did to help me get in to running. Started out only running for 30 seconds and I can now run for 30 minutes! So keep at it man, it gets easier the more you do it.

this this this this this!!!!! c25k is freaking awesome, and I am on day 2 of week 9!
  • planetrunner
    Options
    I'm not afraid of just walking more than running lol. But I do want to build up to where I am running more than walking. I kinda dread running tonight cause I am sore. I wasn't this sore yesterday. I figure that I will try running every other day. I'm hoping that I can do the same as I did Tuesday but honestly with how sore I feel right now, I don't know if I will be able to. I'm going to try though lol. I'm sore in places that I didn't even know gets worked out while running. For example, my stomach, inner thighs and outter thighs hurt. My lower back is a little sore too.

Here's my prescriptive and really simplified $0.02: unless an injury is coming on, your body is dumb and can deal with the soreness (or stiffness). Your issue sounds like you're going through a case of negative self-talk. As per your above quote, you used the words "kinda dread" and "don't know if I will be able...". Not very positive in changing your behaviour to become someone who loves running.

Here's two articles worth skimming to get a sense of the mental aspects of running through soreness:

http://www.powerbar.com/articles/227/ironman-mental-strength-the-fifth-discipline.aspx
    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18261&PageNum=1

Hope it helps. And if you need constant race-like motivations and are using a smartphone/gps, check out strava[dot]com. In the time between races, it's been helping motivate me through a dreadfully hot summer.
  • bethieannie
    bethieannie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. It takes all the guess work out of beginning!
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    It was all about music for me at the beginning. I find it the best motivator.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Because I run in the morning and I have to take my medication in the morning, which I'm not supposed to eat for an hour, I'm finding it difficult. Someone told me that even something like peanut butter, a spoon or two will give you some protein and will help make you feel less empty. I too am a new runner, I have not been able to get myself some nice sneakers, but luckily (knock on wood) have not had ANY problems than the blisters I got in the first week. I am on week four and what I did is similar to Couch to 5K, I will walk a block, run two block, walk a block, run two blocks, etc. I have now gotten to be able to (in 4 weeks) to run three blocks and walk a half before keeling over. The big problem I'm having is learning how to keep my breathing under control and the correct way my feet have to hit the ground, that is what is making it easier now.....with having no injuries or hurts. I'm an obese person, so I know how lucky I am that that is it. If you want to friend me, I won't mind working along to being a runner with you!!
  • melindadunston
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY COUCH TO 5k! I started this in the spring and was the same as you. Couldn't run 30sec without feeling like dying! October 21 I am running a half marathon:)

KEEP GOING! It is soooo worth it. I have lost 24lbs and feel great. I am still losing. It has come off slow, don't get discouraged.

Someone told me they thought with all the running I was doing I should be a stick by now. Don't let haters discourage you. My first 5k I felt better because I saw that runners come in all shapes in sizes.
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    While you're at the running store getting fitted, ask them about a C25K beginner's group. You may find they will have one coming up or just started that you can jump into. I was a "lone wolf" runner, but many people find joining a group at the beginning will help them develop good habits and form and avoid injury. Happy running!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A few MFP members mentioned running shoes..I would be sure to go a shoe store that specializes in running. The store staff will be able to fit you in the proper based on your running motion (i.e. over/under pronating). Also, keep the mileage light and LOW to start with.

You will probably be mentally ready to run up more miles than you are physically. It takes time to get up the miles up on a weekly basis.

IMO the most important part of running is listening to your body and resting. As a runner, I like to break my PRs, run fast on consecutive days, and complete high mileage weeks. We tend to forget that we are training so we can run for another day, not so we can be sidelined with an injury. Rest days, easy days, and recovery days are KEY. Respect your body and enjoy an injury free running career.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, message me.

Peacee
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Also snacks fruit and lean healthy proteins are great. I love to eat a little peanut butter with and apple or banana. If you choose to eventually run long distance I have found I feel cruddy after if I don't drink extra electrolytes(gatorade, powerade). With this a little goes a long way. i mostly rehydrate with water and then about 8oz of a sports drink:)
    HAPPY RUNNING:)
  • ambate2
    Options
    Don't focus on speed or even time too much. I, too, will plug the C25K program. I've just finished the 9 weeks, although I still haven't ran 3 miles yet, and take little walk breaks here and there, but hey, at least I'm getting out there! Remember, no matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!!! When I first started, I had issues doing 30 seconds, and now I can do a mile or 2.
  • biggergirlsrun2
    Options
    I'm not afraid of just walking more than running lol. But I do want to build up to where I am running more than walking. I kinda dread running tonight cause I am sore. I wasn't this sore yesterday. I figure that I will try running every other day. I'm hoping that I can do the same as I did Tuesday but honestly with how sore I feel right now, I don't know if I will be able to. I'm going to try though lol. I'm sore in places that I didn't even know gets worked out while running. For example, my stomach, inner thighs and outter thighs hurt. My lower back is a little sore too.

I've been running for almost two years now and I can tell you that the first 6 months are the hardest- mentally and physically. I can't even begin to fathom how much Icy Hot I went through in those months, but it's totally worth it. Once your body gets into the swing of things, you won't be nearly as sore or as stiff except for when you push your mileage and/or pacing. Your stomach is sore because your abs are activated when running, they help hold you upright (that's why it's so important not to slouch forward when you get tired). The same goes for your lower back. And your thighs are sore because of motion and helping carry your body forward.

I used to wake up and be stiff as a board on days after I ran 2 or 3 miles. Now, I can do 6 miles and wake up fine the next day. it's all about getting your body used to the routine. And from your positive outlook, I say you've totally got this running thing in the bag!

If you ever want to chat about it, feel free to message me! best of luck!!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'll repeat what others have said:

- Get fitted for a great pair of running shoes at a running specialty store.... best advice ever!
    - Start slowly... don't try to go all out and run at 6mph... If you are too winded, slow down.... walk....
    - Follow the Couch-to-5K (C25K) training plan.... it really work-s!!!
    - Sign up for a 5K 2-3 months out. I did C25K last fall, and the week after I finished I was running my first 5K!!! Now I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon. I started just like you.
    - Don't try to run every day... you're more likely to get injured. Start with 3 days a week and then work toward consistently running every other day.
    - If you are on Facebook, LIKE pages such as C25K, Runner's World, Active.com.... they all post some really great articles for beginning runners!!!

Other than that... try to enjoy yourself!!! :-)
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Definitely don't run everyday. I do 4 to 5 a week, and on my off days I go to the gym for some strength training or just go and do some swimming so I can ease my muscles with that and then hit the hot tub. Go at your own pace, I found that I liked the control myself of the block by block because I control it. But I have used the app on my phone for couch to 5K. I also use Map my Run to keep track of what I do and it's awesome because I can see how much I'm progressing every day, which I can't stress is soooo important when you feel that you don't know if it's doing anything...lol
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some research and find a beginner training program to get you started. Most of them have run-to-walk ratios to follow, that really helps. Don't run every day, you might hurt yourself until you build up your joints and shins. And don't forget to try some alternate cardio activity too (swimming, elliptical, spin or cycling). Anything like that will help you build cardio stamina so you can run longer. And try to find someone or a group to go with; I take classes at my gym and my friends/teammates in there are always encouraging and supporting each other! It really helps with the motivation.
  • marinemomx2
    marinemomx2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    New as well! I got great shoes yesterday fitted at a small running store and ended up on a late night walk with my son that is home on his post-deployment leave and he had me run intervals. It was hard and he kept telling me I think too much but I did it! Thanks for the suggestions from everyone - especially the couch to 5K program.
  • Culley34
    Options
    I hear what you're saying loud and clear.. (feel free to check out my profile and add me as a friend).

Personally speaking -- if you want to get in shape and lose weight, nothing is better than running. On the flip side - when you're overweight and just starting out -- man, oh man, does it ever take a toll on the body. This is good (and bad). It's good because putting your muscles under this type of durress causes them to repair themselves and in turn, keep burning residual calories after your run is done and even while you sleep. It's bad because ... well, your joints (ankles, hips, knees) are taking a much more significant pounding than if you were just walking. Not to mention the soreness.

You have to tell yourself -- it will get better... Because it does ;-) Also, don't get discouraged if you have to walk. Running / walking in terms of calories burned is a distance function. So, if you walk three miles or run three miles, the caloric output is basically the same.

Make sure you get plenty of rest (and sleep), as well as mix in some cross training -- elliptical, biking, swimming as this will take some pressure off your joints and allow you to keep your legs fresh.

When I would start getting myself back in shape - I noticed that my cardio conditioning would return around 3 weeks after the first day I started working out. My legs, usually took close to 6 weeks before I didn't really experience any soreness or discomfort. I was running a little longer, but I think this would generally follow suit in your case.

Best of luck!
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Different stuff works for different people, what works best for me:

- Before run warm up is walking then faster walking and then running / jogging
    - No food before running, not too much water either (as I don't want to end up with toilet problem)
    - No food for at least 1 hour after workouts (running and strength), after workout food is usually 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs
    - Interval training such as couch to 5k made me a better runner
    - Also don't eat sweets in the afternoon/evening, they might make your stomach bloated in the morning (if you do morning runs)
    - Good music you can sing along too helps a LOT (even if you're not actually singing along)

EDIT: music added
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'll let you guys know how it went tonight after my walk/run. My daughter has a 5k fundraiser at her school soon and she wants us to run in it! :)
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'll let you guys know how it went tonight after my walk/run. My daughter has a 5k fundraiser at her school soon and she wants us to run in it! :)

Sweet! Let us know. And doing things with our kids can be great motivation.