Calling all runners!

Options

Replies

• chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think I may take an extra day of rest then. My legs are still hurting and I really don't want to cause an injury. I was thinking that maybe I would just go for a 30 min walk tonight instead of doing the walk/run.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Alphabet Stretches or ABC's

1) Sit in any chair with plenty of room in front of you to raise your leg

2) Lift one leg in front of you

3) Pretend you’re writing the alphabet with your big toe on an imaginary blackboard

4) Proceed through the entire alphabet

5) Repeat with the other leg

6) Do two sets on each leg

Do 2 sets on each leg 2-3 Times per day

I will definitely try this. But what is it supposed to do? Does it help strengthen the lower legs?
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think I may take an extra day of rest then. My legs are still hurting and I really don't want to cause an injury. I was thinking that maybe I would just go for a 30 min walk tonight instead of doing the walk/run.

That, my friend, is a great plan. Keeps you doing something positive so you don't feel like you're giving in. As long as the legs feel fine with it, that is excellent!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread, and wanted to offer my input.

If you are having shin pain already, I would second (or third) the suggestion to explore minimalist shoes. I agree that it is entirely a personal thing, but at the start is the best time to explore the option.

I started Couch 2 5K in January... I never could run before because I have heel spurs and any kind of consistent heel striking gives me bouts of plantar fasciitis. In January I discovered Vibram shoes... I bought them for walking as I realized that when I walk barefoot my joints feel better. After a few weeks of walking I decided to tentatively try running. C25K was the perfect program to get me started.

At the time I weighed 307 pounds, but I was able to run in the VFF because the lack of cushioning MADE me strike on the mid- to fore-foot. No PF and no shin splints. The calves were really sore for the first few weeks as were the arches of the feet... these are the areas that are most weakened by heel striking and cushioned support/control shoes.

After about week 4 of C25K, that soreness subsided and I was able to steadily improve both my time and my distance.

Less than 8 months later, I've run a total of about 550 miles so far this year. I've run several 5Ks, a 10K, a 7 mile and a 10 mile race, and last saturday I ran a half marathon. All of this was coming from nothing in running and every single mile has been in FiveFingers or other minimalist shoes (New Balance Minimus Zeros).

You CAN do this.

I'm not saying that you should be running in minimal shoes, but that if you are already having shin pain, that is a sign that your form is probably an issue. There are lots of shoes now, from just about all manufacturers that are combining some cushioning with a flatter profile (zero drop from heel to toe, or just a few millimeters of drop). The biggest thing, in my mind, is to try to move to a mid-foot strike... shorter strides with faster turnover (more strides per minute).

Okay.... that's the end of the sales pitch for a "minimal" style of running.

As for motivation/C25K here is my advice.

1. At least one person mentioned "An Accidental Athlete" by John Bingham. I highly recommend this book, along with another book of his "The Courage To Start". His story is a great one to hear for anyone who is coming to running and fitness as an adult.

2. This should be plastered all over the information you read about C25K... I firmly believe this is the reason some people don't finish the program: Rule 1 of C25K should be to SLOW DOWN. If you can't make it through the running interval (at whatever point in the program you are currently doing) you are going too fast. The only real complaint about C25K that I have is that the goal of 5K in 30 minutes by the end of 9 weeks is unrealistic... especially for people who have a lot of weight to lose. 5K is realistic, and 30 minutes (or more) of running straight is realistic, but most people won't be fast enough to do 5K in 30 minutes. 40 minutes or more is not uncommon. When in doubt, slow down.

3. Definitely take the prescribed days off for C25K... it is just 3 days of running a week. Some people do it every other day (so some weeks are 3 days of running/4 days of rest and others are 4 days of running/3 days of rest) and that's okay if you feel good doing it, but definitely take that second day off between runs when you feel you need it.

4. Don't be afraid or discouraged by "failing" a run or a week... no everyone is able to progress through the program at the pace it is written... and that's okay. Also, every runner just has "bad runs." They happen to the best of them... just write it off and continue on with the next run.

5. Even given what I wrote in #4 above, if you are able to run the runs in a given week as prescribed don't be afraid to move on to the next week... even if you feel like you should have done the current week "better". A LOT of beginning running is mental. To be sure, there are a lot of physical changes you will go through as well, but at least half the game is training your mind to overrule your body sometimes. Your body can do so much more than it wants to. The program is designed to stretch you both physically and mentally. You might not do well on the first time trying a new distance or set of intervals, but chances are you could surprise yourself.

I'll finish with two of my favorite John Bingham quotes for beginning runners and "adult onset athletes".

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.

and

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

You've taken the hardest step... the first one.

Keep it up and you'll get there.

Ted
  • chris1529
    Options
    I can't say enough how much you all are motivating me to keep running. Also to see that taking an extra day of rest isn't going to ruin my progress so far! :) I posted another topic in this section called "achilles tendons and shin splints". If you get a chance will you read it. I really don't want my shins and/or achilles tendons to get injured. That is one of the reasons I am going to take today as an easy walk day, for extra recovery.
  • SweetWillie2
    SweetWillie2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Asics Nimbus are the best shoes I have ever ran in, I am 6'0 and weigh 191.0 and run 15 to 20 miles a week and these shoes have the best cushion and support I have found. A good pair of shoes is a must. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Asics Nimbus are the best shoes I have ever ran in, I am 6'0 and weigh 191.0 and run 15 to 20 miles a week and these shoes have the best cushion and support I have found. A good pair of shoes is a must. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.

Asics do seem to be the best athletic shoe, right? :) I have a pair of Asics Duomax and they are ok. I was actually looking into getting Asics Gel Kayano 18 but they are a little pricey.
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • planetrunner
    Options
    If you are having shin pain already, I would second (or third) the suggestion to explore minimalist shoes. I agree that it is entirely a personal thing, but at the start is the best time to explore the option.

Not to be rude to the quoted poster, but be VERY careful with exploring minimalist shoes. This warning comes from the advice of my chiropracter and person experience. This is a debated issue, so interpret it as you wish.

If you are running on UNNATURAL surfaces (i.e., pavement, concrete, track rubber) regular running shoes are ideal. Your body was never meant to run on these types of surfaces and the protection offered by a cushioned running shoes is what will protect your ankles, shins, knees and back from injury. Finding the right running shoe, however, is a matter of trial and error (check out the Running World forums for advice; people commonly go through 3 or 4 pairs before finding the 'right' shoe).

If you are running on NATURAL surfaces (i.e., dirt, grass, snow, rocks) then minimalist shoes are worth exploring. Especially ones that allow your toes to move -- your toes are designed to provide stability on uneven surfaces. These surfaces offer more ground cushioning than unnatural surfaces, which your body will appreciate.
  • planetrunner
    Options

Asics do seem to be the best athletic shoe, right? :) I have a pair of Asics Duomax and they are ok. I was actually looking into getting Asics Gel Kayano 18 but they are a little pricey.

Have you tried any of the shoe finder tools to inform your selection choices? Try this one: http://www.shop.runningroom.com/ (you have to click the button on the 3rd tab down that's above the scrolling images)
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself good running shoes. Check out the C25K program. It will ease you off the couch and into running a 5k. They have apps to help. You can do this!

Agree.. I am in my 7th week of C25K and it has transformed me!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Alphabet Stretches or ABC's

1) Sit in any chair with plenty of room in front of you to raise your leg

2) Lift one leg in front of you

3) Pretend you’re writing the alphabet with your big toe on an imaginary blackboard

4) Proceed through the entire alphabet

5) Repeat with the other leg

6) Do two sets on each leg

Do 2 sets on each leg 2-3 Times per day

I will definitely try this. But what is it supposed to do? Does it help strengthen the lower legs?

Its a stretch that helps loosen those tight muscles along your Medial Tibia

Asics Nimbus or cumulus are The way to go for extra cushion which I highly suggest you will see an difference
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    People tend to push a particular brand of shoe because it's "the best shoe for X". The flat truth is, the best shoe is the best shoe that has been fitted for YOU. I was plagued by injuries because I was running in the wrong shoe. I highly recommend going to a specialty running store and have a gate analysis done. They will then have you try on several pairs that are made for your stride, gait, and other issues you may or may not have such as pronation and suppination. A good pair of running shoes will cost you, $100 - $120 but your feet, knees, hips and mind are worth so much more than that. Spoken from someone who has been running for 26 years.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude to the quoted poster, but be VERY careful with exploring minimalist shoes. This warning comes from the advice of my chiropracter and person experience. This is a debated issue, so interpret it as you wish.

If you are running on UNNATURAL surfaces (i.e., pavement, concrete, track rubber) regular running shoes are ideal. Your body was never meant to run on these types of surfaces and the protection offered by a cushioned running shoes is what will protect your ankles, shins, knees and back from injury. Finding the right running shoe, however, is a matter of trial and error (check out the Running World forums for advice; people commonly go through 3 or 4 pairs before finding the 'right' shoe).

If you are running on NATURAL surfaces (i.e., dirt, grass, snow, rocks) then minimalist shoes are worth exploring. Especially ones that allow your toes to move -- your toes are designed to provide stability on uneven surfaces. These surfaces offer more ground cushioning than unnatural surfaces, which your body will appreciate.

Not really taking offense at the debate, but did you read the rest of my post?

I didn't say "GO RUN IN MINIMALIST SHOES". I said, based on MY personal experience, that it is a good idea to explore minimalist shoes at the start of a running career... then there is no retraining required and, frankly, the slow gradual increase in running that C25K (or similar beginning runner programs) has is the BEST way to get into minimalist running. I suggested that the OP explore minimalist running.

It is a highly debated issue for sure. The internet is full of studies and anecdotes on all sides of the minimal vs. traditional show debate. That's why I said it is a personal issue.

What I disagree with is the idea that SYNTHETIC running surfaces (what you call UNNATURAL) require cushioned running shoes. Cushioned running shoes are A way to run effectively on these surfaces without injury, but not the only way. For me, I've run 550 miles this year - all but about 30 of those have been on asphalt or concrete... and ALL have been in minimalist shoes with virtually zero control or cushioning. A proper gait, shortened stride and mid-foot landing means that my knees, ankles, hips are all cushioned by my feet doing the job that they were designed by nature for.

I ran a half marathon last weekend in my VFF SeeYas. I definitely felt it most in my feet and needed about 2 days off... but my knees, ankles, hips, etc felt as good the day after the race as they did the morning of.

All I'm saying is that there are tradeoffs of both type of shoes and both styles of running.... and that if you think minimalist running may be for you, I believe that it is best to try it out early in your running career, not later when you have established a different style of running that you have to un-learn.
  • chris1529
    Options
    I've seen those Minimalist shoes. They look like they would be annoying cause of how the toes look. Are they comfortable? Maybe I should try on a pair.
  • chris1529
    Options
    bump
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Minalmist shoes may or may not help because the will tend to make you run without overstriding, as it will hurt if you do. They will require you to strengthen running muscles you have not really used in the past It is a BIG change to go from a stability shoe to a minalmist shoe.

Just my opinion, but for a beginner the debate on minalmist vs. not is too much brain damage. Most of your pain has more to do with being a beginner and will resolve it self if you go slow, build gradually and allow for recovery. If you want to run minalmist shoes then go for it, if it works out then it does, if it doesn't it doesn't. A lot of people run in minalmist and do just fine them and a lot of people run in non-minalmist shoes and also do just fine. Although the injuries are different, the injury rate for either shoe type is about the same, and the cause is also the same, too much, too soon (speed, distance, frequency of runs). There is no magic bullet, shoes or otherwise that will make up for good form and building endurance over time.

A word of caution. If you are feeling pain in your calf or achilles tendon, be syre to let that completly heal/recovery before trying minalmist shoes, they are much more stressful on those moving parts than what you are currently running in.
  • Bluedolly01
    Options
    My shins are really starting to hurt now and so is one of my knees. :( I stretch afterwards and take a rest day in between walk/run days. Is there a specific food to eat before or afterwards that will help your muscles and all to recover faster?

Try doing some research on Glutathione. Its awesome... especially for helping muscles to repair.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Not to call you out but as another poster also indicated alot of people run on "unnatural" surfaces in minimumalist shoes. In fact a lot of people run completely barefoot on these surfaces. For people like me who run skin to ground, we prefer running on these unnatural surfaces. If I were to run on the "softer natural" surfaces like trails or grass I would wear somthing to protect my feet. I am currently running 30 - 40 mpw training for the philly marathon which I will do completely bare.

For someone starting out, choose either bare, minimum, or cushioned and stay with it. Do not try to switch back and forth until you have enough "muscle memory" so that your form stays the same. Regardless what you are running in, do not heel strike. Learn to land on the balls of your feet with your feet under your body. This is the proper running form that will reduce injuries due to impact and is the form taught by running coaches. It is only the recreational runner who uses the heel strike form.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Don't try to run fast. When I first started running....it was SO slow. Don't worry about speed at all. Knee braces are a life saver.