I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    BinaryPulsar,
    You may disagree or agree since you are a dancer but I've met quite a number of ballet dancers in their early 20s who would fall in the category due to years of falling victim to various eating disorders. I clearly recall many of them having body fat percentages in the 30s when I tested them because their lean body mass had decreased so sharply. Also, a lot of the research I look into is primarily about young female athletes with eating disorders. Anyway, I'm glad you, as a dancer, enjoy strength training and have established increasing muscle volume as one of your goals which is very important in your sport.

I'm not a ballet dancer and did not have years of eating disorders. I am a contemporary dancer and very healthy. My body fat is not anywhere near 30% and never has been. My body fat is actually very low. My husband is a scientist and helps me test it properly. I have been committed to health for a long time and would never harm or starve my body. Nourishment is important to me. I am also a mother of two, with two healthy pregnancies, healthy babies and healthy children. I am healthy physically, mentally and emotionally. I have worked very hard at it. I also eat way more than most people because I am active and need to maintain my lean body mass. Also, I dance with children. I'm sorry you have this stereotype (this was the kind of thing I was referring to about snap judgements that I only encounter on MFP and never in real life). I'm also not in my early 20's. I am a grown woman. Being a dancer is not a disorder.
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    Although I think the term has a ring of truth to it, it's also a way to take away from people's accomplishments, isn't it? Say they restrict calories by creating a healthy deficit and focus primarily on cardio. Then, when they have lost weight, suddenly their accomplishment is not as sufficient because they didn't lift or do strength training--thus, skinny fat. Don't get me wrong, I strength train as much as I do cardio, and I LOVE the difference in my body. I support the importance of it. But I don't think we should pull away from others' accomplishments by telling them they're not REALLY healthy or in shape. Not really.
  • yinellyrod
    Options
    I too rather be 'skinny fat' than "just """" even the word "fat" is very insulting. Iam skinny fat and I'm trying my best to build muscle but the "baby fat" is something very difficult to tone up. That's the problem area that most women have trouble building like myself. I hate when people tells me I'm skinny to stop losing weight (but what they don't understand is that I'm trying to live a healthy lifestyle and exercising 4/5 days a week, and I'm killing myself each and every day to feel good about myself, and the goals that I've accomplished. That my friends, Makes me feel worth of what Iam. But I guess "people just think differently and for that reason it doesn't let them think how they supposed to!!!
    - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME//// and don't let comments like these bring you down!!! This is a life we're leaving that everyone criticize EVERYONE
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I see people on MFP saying they don't want to be fat anymore, does that insult someone like me, who's fat? I mean, I should be offended by MFP in general, because people use it to recover from a state that I'm currently in, which tells me that fat is bad. I think I need to sulk in the corner over this or maybe start marching in outrage. (Demonstrating absurdity.)
    Although I think the term has a ring of truth to it, it's also a way to take away from people's accomplishments, isn't it? Say they restrict calories by creating a healthy deficit and focus primarily on cardio. Then, when they have lost weight, suddenly their accomplishment is not as sufficient because they didn't lift or do strength training--thus, skinny fat.

That's not what skinny-fat means. It means people who eat an unhealthy diet of junk food and never exercise. I don't think anyone on MFP would qualify as skinny fat.

But, seriously, (directed at the thread in general, not at you, OhKelsey1) if you're skinny and insulted by the term "skinny," lighten up. Not all of us want to be skinny. Some of us want to be curvy. But skinny, curvy, toned (yes, I said it), chubby, strong, fit...if it's healthy, it's beautiful.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    When I see people on MFP saying they don't want to be fat anymore, does that insult someone like me, who's fat? I mean, I should be offended by MFP in general, because people use it to recover from a state that I'm currently in, which tells me that fat is bad. I think I need to sulk in the corner over this or maybe start marching in outrage. (Demonstrating absurdity.)
    Although I think the term has a ring of truth to it, it's also a way to take away from people's accomplishments, isn't it? Say they restrict calories by creating a healthy deficit and focus primarily on cardio. Then, when they have lost weight, suddenly their accomplishment is not as sufficient because they didn't lift or do strength training--thus, skinny fat.

That's not what skinny-fat means. It means people who eat an unhealthy diet of junk food and never exercise. I don't think anyone on MFP would qualify as skinny fat.

But, seriously, (directed at the thread in general, not at you, OhKelsey1) if you're skinny and insulted by the term "skinny," lighten up. Not all of us want to be skinny. Some of us want to be curvy. But skinny, curvy, toned (yes, I said it), chubby, strong, fit...if it's healthy, it's beautiful.

That really isn't what skinny-fat is. It's medically called normal weight obesity. Basically, someone who is at a healthy weight, but not a healthy body fat percentage.

I also disagree with skinny and curvy being mutually exclusive. I think one can be both.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

That really isn't what skinny-fat is. It's medically called normal weight obesity. Basically, someone who is at a healthy weight, but not a healthy body fat percentage.

I also disagree with skinny and curvy being mutually exclusive. I think one can be both.

I agree, a person can be slender and curvy. There are all different types of curvy women in this world. Also it doesn't always matter what a person "wants to be", we all have a genetic body type.
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    I love the term skinny fat, it perfectly describes my "before" body. It's a word meant to show that "skinny" "thin" "tiny" etc don't describe health. Health has nothing to do with a 22" waist or weighing 100lbs. Though people may use it to demean others, people will do that with just about anything. I like it. But I'm with you with "toned" lol what a useless word.
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    I love the term skinny fat, it perfectly describes my "before" body. It's a word meant to show that "skinny" "thin" "tiny" etc don't describe health. Health has nothing to do with a 22" waist or weighing 100lbs. Though people may use it to demean others, people will do that with just about anything. **I like it.** But I'm with you with "toned" lol what a useless word.

**I like the phrase skinny fat, not people demeaning others**
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This photo was posted on another thread about skinny fat...
    One person's view of herself going from fat to skinny fat to hot and fit....I don't think the middle one is that bad, not too skinny fat, but the third is by far better...

skinny-fat-transformation.jpg

That's amazing progress, but I fail to see where she was "skinny fat" before. It doesn't look like she was lacking in any muscle before. She just had body fat she wanted to shed. Her bum was bigger, but it was round and full. She didn't have any rolls or muffin top. She had a normal, curvy body that was just a touch bigger than her goal body.

The final photo is dead sexy, but it's also a sexy pose with good lighting and a professional photographer. She probably wouldn't look that much different from the final photo in photo two if she'd been arching her back with her arms raised and sticking out her booty, too.

And that's another hit to the normal person's self esteem. We're taking snapshots and comparing ourselves to someone with hair, makeup and wardrobe people, flattering lighting, and the very best photos selected out of hundreds from a professional photographer, who then retouches the photos to make everything even better. Not even going into extensive photoshop or airbrushing, but just altering the contrast, levels and color balance can make a huge difference.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One person's view of herself going from fat to skinny fat to hot and fit....I don't think the middle one is that bad, not too skinny fat, but the third is by far better...

That's amazing progress, but I fail to see where she was "skinny fat" before. It doesn't look like she was lacking in any muscle before. She just had body fat she wanted to shed. Her bum was bigger, but it was round and full. She didn't have any rolls or muffin top. She had a normal, curvy body that was just a touch bigger than her goal body.

The final photo is dead sexy, but it's also a sexy pose with good lighting and a professional photographer. She probably wouldn't look that much different from the final photo in photo two if she'd been arching her back with her arms raised and sticking out her booty, too.

And that's another hit to the normal person's self esteem. We're taking snapshots and comparing ourselves to someone with hair, makeup and wardrobe people, flattering lighting, and the very best photos selected out of hundreds from a professional photographer, who then retouches the photos to make everything even better. Not even going into extensive photoshop or airbrushing, but just altering the contrast, levels and color balance can make a huge difference.

For ME, I'd rather have her middle body than the one on the right, maybe a little smaller. And if that makes me skinny fat, so be it. I honestly don't want every muscle showing. I just don't want a lot of flab.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    BinaryPulsar,
    You may disagree or agree since you are a dancer but I've met quite a number of ballet dancers in their early 20s who would fall in the category due to years of falling victim to various eating disorders. I clearly recall many of them having body fat percentages in the 30s when I tested them because their lean body mass had decreased so sharply. Also, a lot of the research I look into is primarily about young female athletes with eating disorders. Anyway, I'm glad you, as a dancer, enjoy strength training and have established increasing muscle volume as one of your goals which is very important in your sport.

I'm not a ballet dancer and did not have years of eating disorders. I am a contemporary dancer and very healthy. My body fat is not anywhere near 30% and never has been. My body fat is actually very low. My husband is a scientist and helps me test it properly. I have been committed to health for a long time and would never harm or starve my body. Nourishment is important to me. I am also a mother of two, with two healthy pregnancies, healthy babies and healthy children. I am healthy physically, mentally and emotionally. I have worked very hard at it. I also eat way more than most people because I am active and need to maintain my lean body mass. Also, I dance with children. I'm sorry you have this stereotype (this was the kind of thing I was referring to about snap judgements that I only encounter on MFP and never in real life). I'm also not in my early 20's. I am a grown woman. Being a dancer is not a disorder.

Sheesh. Cranky much? She didn't accuse you of anything, just mentioned other dancers she has tested. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I doubt that she would look skinny in clothes in the center pic, and isn't that the most common definition of skinny fat - looks skinny in clothes but fat without? She doesn't look fat without clothes either. She doesn't look skinny period, but she also doesn't look fat in any except the first photo.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My personal definition - and I don't know how accurate that is, medically speaking - of skinny fat is lower body weight with higher body fat percentage. One wouldn't necessarily look particularly skinny, either in or out of clothes. But they'd have a weight they could be proud of, but the wouldn't look as light as they were.

For instance, that photo of me that I often use.

five-years-later.jpg

I'm about the same weight in both photos, but in 2007, I was stupid about how I lost weight and just cut a lot of calories. I got to a good weight for my height of 5'5, but wasn't particularly lean... I was marshmallow fluff. Was I really skinny fat? I don't know... I don't think my weight, body fat percentage or lean body mass were extreme enough in any direction to qualify. If I'd kept trying to lose weight in that manner, I would have become skinny fat. I did still have a muffin top and back fat rolls that I absolutely HATED, and they looked worse than they did when I was a little heavier. But skinny fat or not... I wasn't as healthy as I could have been if I ate more, ate better, exercised better, etc.

Similarly, I was about 15 pounds lighter 10 years ago than I am now, and look about the same size, but that was weight loss due to a jaw problem. Again... I don't think I was skinny fat. I just wasn't as healthy as I could have been.

P6170004-copy.jpg

I do think the phrase is tossed around too much. But if it gets women focused more on their health and body composition than strictly focused on the number on the scale, then that's not a bad thing.
  • cffordd
    Options
    That's what prompted this rant. WHY would you want to ask strangers to negatively label you? I don't go around asking people if I have "Thunder Thighs".

Oh god, the dreaded "thunder thighs" I used to have huge "thunder thighs" thanks to certain sports :P, although I wish I stayed with the sports.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    My personal definition - and I don't know how accurate that is, medically speaking - of skinny fat is lower body weight with higher body fat percentage. One wouldn't necessarily look particularly skinny, either in or out of clothes. But they'd have a weight they could be proud of, but the wouldn't look as light as they were.

For instance, that photo of me that I often use.

five-years-later.jpg

I'm about the same weight in both photos, but in 2007, I was stupid about how I lost weight and just cut a lot of calories. I got to a good weight for my height of 5'5, but wasn't particularly lean... I was marshmallow fluff. Was I really skinny fat? I don't know... I don't think my weight, body fat percentage or lean body mass were extreme enough in any direction to qualify. If I'd kept trying to lose weight in that manner, I would have become skinny fat. I did still have a muffin top and back fat rolls that I absolutely HATED, and they looked worse than they did when I was a little heavier. But skinny fat or not... I wasn't as healthy as I could have been if I ate more, ate better, exercised better, etc.

Similarly, I was about 15 pounds lighter 10 years ago than I am now, and look about the same size, but that was weight loss due to a jaw problem. Again... I don't think I was skinny fat. I just wasn't as healthy as I could have been.

P6170004-copy.jpg

I do think the phrase is tossed around too much. But if it gets women focused more on their health and body composition than strictly focused on the number on the scale, then that's not a bad thing.

This is an accurate and excellent illustration and explanation of what it really means. Great work. You look amazing and must feel even more amazing!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    "Skinny" isn't a medical term either. "Underweight" is. Some people also use "skinny" negatively which is dumb. There's the whole "I don't want to be 'skinny' I want to be 'fit'" thing, which again is just putting other people down. I would generally use "skinny" to describe those on the low end of "healthy" and no, I never thought it was a negative word either.

This seems kind of condescending. The medical term for "cold" isn't "cold", one of the real medical terms being Acute viral nasopharyngitis. Also, definitions can change over time, like the word "*kitten*". And if you want to be politically correct, then you misused the word "dumb". Its real meaning means you cannot speak or you are mute. And if you look up "skinny" in the dictionary, it means unhealthily thin...

And in the medical world, skinny fat exists: it's called sarcopenic obesity.

You're welcome.

:flowerforyou:

<clap clap clap>

A VOICE OF REASON.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    BinaryPulsar,

Sheesh. Cranky much? She didn't accuse you of anything, just mentioned other dancers she has tested. :laugh:

Calm down sir, It's all been cleared up. And that man does not look anything like a woman (he's shirtless). :yawn:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    "Skinny fat" is usually used as a put down here. It reflects an attitude that insists that everyone under a certain weight has an ED.

What's wrong with "toned"? Everyone knows what's meant by that: It means to be firm, sleek, without lots of muscle definition.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was an insult, but I didn't really know what it meant I guess. I thought I used to be skinny-fat because when I was younger I was very thin (no visible fat) but my body fat was super high. I was all fat, no muscle.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'll take skinny fat over morbidly obese any day of the week.

Now...if I can just make it there.