I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options
15678911»

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Is there actually a definition of skinny-fat, in terms of what a person's BMI and body fat % has to be to qualify for this label?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'm adding "skinny-fat" to the list of fitness terms I hate (this list also includes "bulky", and "toned").

I dont get why people dont like the word "toned".

If I say you are really "toned" you know what I mean and you know what being "toned" means.

Being "toned" is a good thing.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    The term "Skinny Fat" is adequate to describe a state of body composition. Applying some sort of emotional response to it is ridiculous. Fat, skinny, toned, bulky, chunky, skinny fat, thin, etc. are all simply terms to describe the physical appearance of a person's body composition.

You've obviously never met any women.:wink:

Not in a romantic sense no. (No interest if you catch my drift). And I am sure many many people do indeed apply emotional value to simple descriptions. They shouldn't, but I know they do. For some reason, they feel their value as a human being is related to how they look.

I never determine a person's value based on their looks. And I certainly do not lie to someone's face when they ask about their weight.

If you for some reason do not like what you are, do not demand the world lie to you to spare your feelings because to you, your appearance means more to you than your heart, instead, CHANGE what you don't like.

For example, if you think you are fat and dislike the idea of being fat, do not ask the world if you are fat and then demand they say no. Fix it. Change it.

If someone asks opinions on what the state of their body composition is, MAYBE they are looking for the truth in order to design some sort of diet and fitness plan to better achieve their goals.

I look to the forums for advice, help, motivation, and support. I do not go to it for people to lie to me and make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Nice.
  • jesspi68
    Options
    Yes - I think this is the point I was trying to make. My mom is skinny fat. She fits into size 4 jeans and starves herself to stay thin, but can't walk a mile without huffing, and has extreme amounts of visible fat. This is not a 'cosmetic issue' as her waist to hip measurement puts her in danger as does her level of internal fat. (this from her Doctor, not me. She disagreed and said 'I am a size 4, of course I am healthy!)

I suppose the issue here is the term being misused. It certainly does not apply to small people, or slim people, but a few people who fit small clothes, but might have the same body fat percentage as an obese person. I suppose I have used it in one context which is why I think it is a perfectly good term, but I can understand the OP's irritation if it is being misused!

^^^^ THIS is what I mean when I say "skinny-fat"

or this:

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/skinny-fat-butt.jpg
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So a woman would have to have an underweight BMI and an obese body fat percentage? So a BMI of under 18.5, and a body fat percentage of 32 or over? Guess I don't fall into the category of skinny-fat then. I'd be curious to see what someone in this category actually looks like.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    BinaryPulsar,
    You may disagree or agree since you are a dancer but I've met quite a number of ballet dancers in their early 20s who would fall in the category due to years of falling victim to various eating disorders. I clearly recall many of them having body fat percentages in the 30s when I tested them because their lean body mass had decreased so sharply. Also, a lot of the research I look into is primarily about young female athletes with eating disorders. Anyway, I'm glad you, as a dancer, enjoy strength training and have established increasing muscle volume as one of your goals which is very important in your sport.

You must mean past dancers. I danced ballet for many years and I have never known a professional ballerina who had any visible body fat worth mentioning. I could see after they stop dancing perhaps they gain weight easily on their small frame, but a currently performing ballerina at 30 percent body fat? No way. In any case, much of the training for ballet essentially is strength training for the lower body, rather than cardio. No competitive dancer is going to be flabby, soft, or weak, especially in the abs and lower body.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    BinaryPulsar,
    You may disagree or agree since you are a dancer but I've met quite a number of ballet dancers in their early 20s who would fall in the category due to years of falling victim to various eating disorders. I clearly recall many of them having body fat percentages in the 30s when I tested them because their lean body mass had decreased so sharply. Also, a lot of the research I look into is primarily about young female athletes with eating disorders. Anyway, I'm glad you, as a dancer, enjoy strength training and have established increasing muscle volume as one of your goals which is very important in your sport.

You must mean past dancers. I danced ballet for many years and I have never known a professional ballerina who had any visible body fat worth mentioning. I could see after they stop dancing perhaps they gain weight easily on their small frame, but a currently performing ballerina at 30 percent body fat? No way. In any case, much of the training for ballet essentially is strength training for the lower body, rather than cardio. No competitive dancer is going to be flabby, soft, or weak, especially in the abs and lower body.

I completely agree. I don't understand how what geekyjock is explaining could be possible for a ballet dancer, except for someone that is retired or had to stop due to the condition he is describing. Very absurd, and not in touch with reality. I don't mean this as a judgement. I am genuinely perplexed by this. It is misinformation about dancers.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    In my household we use the term "skat"...and we love it. But,we are a silly,silly bunch...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Stop with the labels, they dehumanize. Labels will begin to erase the complexity and beauty of someone’s story and paint them as a one-dimensional caricature. Please?
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    it's not about people who are just thin with a little fluff, it's people who are thin but they eat horribly so they are just as unhealthy as an obese person, u just cant tell by looking
  • jillb1961
    Options
    Heck this is the first time ive heard this term. I joined MFP and learned a new insult. Great. Not thst it csn be applied to me. Im just fat.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I hate it too just because people miss use it so much. Some people just seem to use it for people who are small but don't seem to meet the right aesthetic. It seems to be used as another way of putting someone down.