I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Why do we need to make people feel bad about themselves? Yeah, some people are at a low weight and have some remaining fat storage and less muscles than others. They should do the same things that the rest of us are doing: lift heavy and eat at a SMALL calorie deficit while getting enough protein. No need to bash, or make them feel bad. Very few of us are perfect. I still have a lot of a fat as well. Am I better because I have fat AND muscles and can therefore avoid the term? No.

I'm adding "skinny-fat" to the list of fitness terms I hate (this list also includes "bulky", and "toned").

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    all 3 of those terms make me want to punch people...
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    I think we're always seeking new ways to make people feel inadequate.

What amuses me is when people want to be categorized or defined. Why do we let the words and terminology affect us so much?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I hate that term, too. And, honestly, what a lot of the hard-core people on here call skinny fat just ... isn't. In fact, they use that term to describe women with my ideal body. I don't want 14% BF and muscles all over. I want to be thin and in shape, but I don't want a six pack.

It looks good and if that's what some women want, more power to them. But it isn't my goal and that doesn't make me inferior.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Yes, I much prefer the term "normal weight obesity"

*runs away*
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    I officially have a girl crush on you Rae.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    here here!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    The problem is that people lately have been posing the question to other members to confirm if their current body composition in relation to their weight and appearance constitutes the label, "skinny fat." This, naturally, is going to open the proverbial can of worms.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Thats what women do best!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    The problem is that people lately have been posing the question to other members to confirm if their current body composition in relation to their weight and appearance constitutes the label, "skinny fat." This, naturally, is going to open the proverbial can of worms.

That's what prompted this rant. WHY would you want to ask strangers to negatively label you? I don't go around asking people if I have "Thunder Thighs".
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    I'd like to cast a vote for "meat head " also.
  • rml_16

That's what prompted this rant. WHY would you want to ask strangers to negatively label you? I don't go around asking people if I have "Thunder Thighs".

Does my avatar make me look fat? :happy:

Anyway, people ask that because so many people keep talking about it so negatively that it makes people feel very self-conscious about it, so they ask and hope to get no for an answer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I think "skinny fat" has some validity, but it's overused. It's not just someone who is in a healthy weight and has a little pudgy spots here and there. Not someone who doesn't have visible abs or biceps or quads.

Some folks want to use "skinny fat" for anyone who isn't built like a fitness model. Supermodels are not skinny fat. They're just skinny. Skinny fat is an extreme situation caused by prolonged undereating and poor nutrition.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I still have a lot of a fat as well.

*raises eyebrow*
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    What would you suggest? "High Body Fat Percentage, Normal BMI" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and "triple-bypass candidate bikini model" seems, well, a little overly medical.
  • rml_16
    What would you suggest? "High Body Fat Percentage, Normal BMI" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and "triple-bypass candidate bikini model" seems, well, a little overly medical.

The term itself isn't so much the problem except in how it's been applied all over this site.
  • The problem is that people lately have been posing the question to other members to confirm if their current body composition in relation to their weight and appearance constitutes the label, "skinny fat." This, naturally, is going to open the proverbial can of worms.

Anyway, people ask that because so many people keep talking about it so negatively that it makes people feel very self-conscious about it, so they ask and hope to get no for an answer.

Wait! Does mine?! Am I pretty enough?! Is my brown coat shiny enough? Wait...whaaaa?!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Before I joined MFP, I'd only heard the term "skinny fat" used to describe those people with little visible (subcutaneous) fat, but too much internal (visceral) fat aroung their organs. I prefer this meaning, which can apply even to those with a lot of visible muscle, because it has some meaning outside personal preference.

On MFP "skinny fat" is nearly always used as an insult.
  • rml_16

Wait! Does mine?! Am I pretty enough?! Is my brown coat shiny enough? Wait...whaaaa?!

You're simply beautiful!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I officially have a girl crush on you Rae.

I am not really good at sharing honey but for Rae.....I am willing :)
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Yes, I much prefer the term "normal weight obesity"

*runs away*

BAHAHAHA, I second this notion. :drinker: