I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The term "Skinny Fat" is adequate to describe a state of body composition. Applying some sort of emotional response to it is ridiculous. Fat, skinny, toned, bulky, chunky, skinny fat, thin, etc. are all simply terms to describe the physical appearance of a person's body composition.

Do you get equally offended when someone is described as tall or bald or pale?

Simply describing someone's physical appearance does not mean anyone is suggesting they be treated differently based on it or should gain/lose value in themselves as a person.

Should have read before my post!! I totally agree and I am a woman!!

Agree here too!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I know, it's sad! I know once I lose the last 10 pounds, I'll still be "skinny-fat" simply because I don't have the time to shape my body
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be skinny fat than fat fat

HA! I said that exact same thing on facebook yesterday!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The term "Skinny Fat" is adequate to describe a state of body composition. Applying some sort of emotional response to it is ridiculous. Fat, skinny, toned, bulky, chunky, skinny fat, thin, etc. are all simply terms to describe the physical appearance of a person's body composition.

You've obviously never met any women.:wink:

Not in a romantic sense no. (No interest if you catch my drift). And I am sure many many people do indeed apply emotional value to simple descriptions. They shouldn't, but I know they do. For some reason, they feel their value as a human being is related to how they look.

I never determine a person's value based on their looks. And I certainly do not lie to someone's face when they ask about their weight.

If you for some reason do not like what you are, do not demand the world lie to you to spare your feelings because to you, your appearance means more to you than your heart, instead, CHANGE what you don't like.

For example, if you think you are fat and dislike the idea of being fat, do not ask the world if you are fat and then demand they say no. Fix it. Change it.

If someone asks opinions on what the state of their body composition is, MAYBE they are looking for the truth in order to design some sort of diet and fitness plan to better achieve their goals.

I look to the forums for advice, help, motivation, and support. I do not go to it for people to lie to me and make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The best way for women never to question whether they meet the qualifications of being "skinny fat" is to properly educate themselves on nutrition and exercise, and how they impact one another in relation to meeting their end body composition goals prior to initiating a weight loss intervention. Too many people jump in without adequate knowledge of basic terminology or the various undesirable outcomes of adhering to certain deficits or lack of recommended modes of exercise (strength training).
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Although it's kind of a harsh way of phrasing things, I think it's something that people should be aware of so that they don't under-eat, over-cardio, and then wonder why they still look pudgy even when they get small.

Good point.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My main problem with the term is, as people have mentioned, many use it to describe people who have a healthy body fat percentage, or even a fairly low body fat percentage, if they don't have a lot of visible muscle. If a woman is of a healthy weight and has 14-20 percent body fat, the term skinny fat shouldn't be used to describe her, regardless of how much muscle she has or doesn't have.

I also agree that unfortunately most people, when they use the term, mean it as an insult.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with toned?
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Amen! It's right up there with the term "reverse discrimination" for me. So damn stupid!

Although now that I think of it, I'm totally fat-skinny! (<---jokes)
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I would rather be skinny fat than fat fat.

The labels are out there - only we decide what applies to us or not.

I label myself as 'pre-fabulous'
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People think it is not an insult to just randomly call people skinny fat simply because that person is not perfect. Why are any of us here? We are here to continue to improve upon our fitness and to be healthy, and that is a process. So, Health, Lean Body Mass, and all of that is important to us. I didn't understand this term skinny fat when I first joined (I had never heard of it). I have since understood that it refers to someone that is in some way small looking, but has a high BF%. But, then people will call someone with 15% BF "skinny fat" if they somehow determine that person does not have as much LBM as they think they should without even measuring them (even if they only have 15 pounds of total body fat and the rest is LBM).

Also, people have poor body image or they view themselves more harshly than another person would. So, just because someone says they want to work more on their fitness it does not mean that everyone should start calling them skinny fat. And everyone has different life experiences, so there is no point in judging a person for being confused about where their value is and needing to learn and learn again and relearn that. Some people were used as sexual objects growing up in their family.

The word is being overused. It would be like making some arbitrary marker as the definition of fat and then running around and telling everyone they must be fat. If skinny fat means "normal weight obesity" then why are people overusing the word? Should we call all over weight people obese? No, that would not be accurate.

I now understand what the word means and I see how it is helpful to people. But, it is not helpful the way it is overused. You all can continue to ignore that and overuse it, that's anyone's choice. It's not a choice I respect, though.

Something I have learned since joining MFP is that people think they need to put other people's bodies down in order to feel ok about their own. How a person feels about their body should have nothing to do with other people's bodies.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    "Skinny Fat" sounds like something b!tchy, jealous, insecure, overweight women invented to put down other normal weight women.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Does emaciated chubby work any better than skinny fat?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What would you suggest? "High Body Fat Percentage, Normal BMI" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and "triple-bypass candidate bikini model" seems, well, a little overly medical.

How can one have a high BF and be skinny? A women is not going to be skinny with > 30% BF. Skinny fat is more often used to make women with a normal healthy BF% but not a lot of muscle feel bad about themselves.

I was at 32% body fat at the top of my healthy BMI range. I looked skinny while fully dressed but not in a bathing suit or anything. It is possible.

I suppose anything is possible, and "skinny" is a subjective term, but I would imagine someone would have to be pretty tall to have 32% BF and look what I call skinny (rather than just 'not fat') with or without clothes.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I much prefer the term "normal weight obesity"

*runs away*

^ lmao
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I called and often still call myself skinnyfat.. because I am thin and if I don't lift weights even just a little now and then I get flabby.. but I don't call others names..it's not nice. but really I can call myself Mary if I want to....it really should not matter
    Life is short..find other things to worry about :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue- I am chunky-fat. Or fat-fat as someone said earlier.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    "Skinny Fat" sounds like something b!tchy, jealous, insecure, overweight women invented to put down other normal weight women.

I respectfully disagree. Like obesity, skinny fat is a body composition that can cause health issues. It may be used by b!itchy people as a slur, but so can just about anything.

I am normal weight, and use the term skinny fat to describe people who are also in the normal range, but have a high % of body fat, no muscle tone or fitness. I do not use it in a derogatory manner.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To each their own I suppose. Skinny fat isn't exactly a tactful description, but it does describe body composition, I suppose we could use "frail" instead.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes, I much prefer the term "normal weight obesity"

*runs away*

Watch out, there might be a few throwing shoes at you!

How about this....'flabby-slender'?

(this coming from the flabby fat girl) LOL :bigsmile: