I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What would you suggest? "High Body Fat Percentage, Normal BMI" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and "triple-bypass candidate bikini model" seems, well, a little overly medical.

How can one have a high BF and be skinny? A women is not going to be skinny with > 30% BF. Skinny fat is more often used to make women with a normal healthy BF% but not a lot of muscle feel bad about themselves.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What would you suggest? "High Body Fat Percentage, Normal BMI" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and "triple-bypass candidate bikini model" seems, well, a little overly medical.

How can one have a high BF and be skinny? A women is not going to be skinny with > 30% BF. Skinny fat is more often used to make women with a normal healthy BF% but not a lot of muscle feel bad about themselves.

I was always under the impression that skinny fat was in regards to women who are very thin yet eat Mcdonalds and crap high fatty food every day, have high cholesterol, can't run around the block without dying after two feet, etc. Honestly, I wish I was in that position and trying to get in shape then over weight and trying to get rid of the pounds of flesh on my body. :(

ps. I don't like the term either. I do agree that it is another derogatory term used. I think people should focus on what makes them happy.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what "skinny-fat" means but I'll take any kind of skinny right now. :bigsmile:
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be skinny fat than fat fat
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I was at 32% body fat at the top of my healthy BMI range. I looked skinny while fully dressed but not in a bathing suit or anything. It is possible.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think the debate over what the term 'skinny fat' actually refers to shows that it's little more than a buzz word that's thrown around at whim. =B
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I was at 32% body fat at the top of my healthy BMI range. I looked skinny while fully dressed but not in a bathing suit or anything. It is possible.

If you have a small frame, though, the top of your healthy BMI can still be overweight. I'm overweight at 141 pounds, even though it's a healthy BMI. I have a small frame. In the middle or at the bottom of my BMI range, I look pretty good nekkid.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    That's what prompted this rant. WHY would you want to ask strangers to negatively label you? I don't go around asking people if I have "Thunder Thighs".
    Because, we as a society like to classify descriptions with colorful terms, such as "skinny fat" or "thunder thighs." If women continue to use these terms, expect them to appear on forums or in daily conversations.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options

If you have a small frame, though, the top of your healthy BMI can still be overweight. I'm overweight at 141 pounds, even though it's a healthy BMI. I have a small frame. In the middle or at the bottom of my BMI range, I look pretty good nekkid.
    [/quote]

yes. at 125, i looked 6 months pregnant (my sister in laws words, not mine), and had a BMI of 25.2. i'm 4'11 and have a very small frame. people look at me like i had an arm growing out of my forehead when i told them that i was actually in the overweight category at 125.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Skinny fat is a valid point. If a person loses 50# and 45# of it is muscle, they still have way too much fat. The thought behind the term is to educate people on trying to maintain or build muscle while losing fat.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what one thinks of the term, the condition itself is generally obtained the same way: a person starts out with a high body fat percentage and, through severe calorie restriction due to eating much less than maintenance and lots of cardio as their only exercise, ends up with a very disproportionate ratio of loss in actual body fat vs muscle mass.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that this term is tossed around way too casually in RL and on these forums. I've never understood why women feel the need to tear each other down instead of lifting each other up. Whatever happened to "sisterhood"? Sad, really.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't like the phrase, "It's not a diet." Yes, it is. It's a better diet than you one you were on before, but it's still a diet.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what one thinks of the term, the condition itself is generally obtained the same way: a person starts out with a high body fat percentage and, through severe calorie restriction due to eating much less than maintenance and lots of cardio as their only exercise, ends up with a very disproportionate ratio of loss in actual body fat vs muscle mass.

^^ This exactly.

I use the term "skinny-fat" ABOUT MYSELF as shorthand for "I look great clothed but dear god don't look at my lower belly or cottage cheese thighs please." Do I wear a size 4? Yes. Did I almost throw up when I tried on bikinis? Better believe it. Although it's kind of a harsh way of phrasing things, I think it's something that people should be aware of so that they don't under-eat, over-cardio, and then wonder why they still look pudgy even when they get small.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The term "Skinny Fat" is adequate to describe a state of body composition. Applying some sort of emotional response to it is ridiculous. Fat, skinny, toned, bulky, chunky, skinny fat, thin, etc. are all simply terms to describe the physical appearance of a person's body composition.

Do you get equally offended when someone is described as tall or bald or pale?

Simply describing someone's physical appearance does not mean anyone is suggesting they be treated differently based on it or should gain/lose value in themselves as a person.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The term "Skinny Fat" is adequate to describe a state of body composition. Applying some sort of emotional response to it is ridiculous. Fat, skinny, toned, bulky, chunky, skinny fat, thin, etc. are all simply terms to describe the physical appearance of a person's body composition.

You've obviously never met any women.:wink:
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting...anything....you're probably not skinny-fat! But hate the term.... whatever.

Why is "toned" so wrong??

I just don't understand why people "hate" so much....if you don't like it....don't use it. These terms are not meant to put people down - its a term to help and make people understand that just b/c you may be skinny or have a low BMI does not mean your all that healthy!! If you take it the wrong way - so be it - don't read it.

//rant
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Do you get equally offended when someone is described as tall or bald or pale?

Simply describing someone's physical appearance does not mean anyone is suggesting they be treated differently based on it or should gain/lose value in themselves as a person.

Should have read before my post!! I totally agree and I am a woman!!
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    I'd like to cast a vote for "meat head " also.

Yeah I don't like that one either, as if just because you have muscle you don't have brains
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting...anything....you're probably not skinny-fat! But hate the term.... whatever.

Why is "toned" so wrong??

I just don't understand why people "hate" so much....if you don't like it....don't use it. These terms are not meant to put people down - its a term to help and make people understand that just b/c you may be skinny or have a low BMI does not mean your all that healthy!! If you take it the wrong way - so be it - don't read it.

//rant

I agree! My goal is to be toned like I was in high school. If that's not someone else's goal, then so be it.