I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    So, what is actually considered a "high" BF % to merit the term skinny-fat? Healthy range for body fat percentage in women is 21 to 32/33. Not fair to use the term to describe people who are within healthy weight, healthy BMI and healthy BF%. Then it is derogatory because you are judging someone's appearance based on your own ideal body image.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    OP! you look amazing...that is all....
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    welcome to ze internetz. If you want everything to be 100% polite and politically correct 100% of the time, you'll probably have to start a group and only allow like-minded members.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    "Skinny" isn't a medical term either. "Underweight" is. Some people also use "skinny" negatively which is dumb. There's the whole "I don't want to be 'skinny' I want to be 'fit'" thing, which again is just putting other people down. I would generally use "skinny" to describe those on the low end of "healthy" and no, I never thought it was a negative word either.

How is it putting other people down when describing one's own self? To me, skinny is skin and bones. I don't want to be skin and bones. I want toned muscles.
  • rytifgates
    rytifgates Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree...I am 80 lbs overweight. I blame no one but myself. However, my skinny (naturally) friend just said the other day (out of nowhere and not in any fitness/weight loss convo) "I think I fall into the category of Skinny Fat." I'm like "what?" Let me go cry my eyes out for you....lol
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    "Skinny" isn't a medical term either. "Underweight" is. Some people also use "skinny" negatively which is dumb. There's the whole "I don't want to be 'skinny' I want to be 'fit'" thing, which again is just putting other people down. I would generally use "skinny" to describe those on the low end of "healthy" and no, I never thought it was a negative word either.

This seems kind of condescending. The medical term for "cold" isn't "cold", one of the real medical terms being Acute viral nasopharyngitis. Also, definitions can change over time, like the word "*kitten*". And if you want to be politically correct, then you misused the word "dumb". Its real meaning means you cannot speak or you are mute. And if you look up "skinny" in the dictionary, it means unhealthily thin...

And in the medical world, skinny fat exists: it's called sarcopenic obesity.

You're welcome.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    skinny-obese (which is the actual laymans term) is not meant to make people "feel bad" about themselves... it's a term used in the medical field to describe a person who may appear skinny, but still have the health problems that are typically associated with classical overweight and obese people... you know things like diabetes, fatty livers, heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension and the like... it also is meant to describe "skinny" people that have a high body fat percentage (which can contribute to aforementioned ailments)... so honestly, if a person doesn't like being called "skinny-obese" or "skinny-fat" then get yourself healthy...

Way too many people equate "healthy" as "skinny" but that isn't true 100% of the time and the term is meant to illustrate that fact, not make you feel bad about yourself...

ETA: Skinny is a relative term these days.... because of the high rates of obesity and overweight people, anyone considered a healthy weight can be seen as "skinny"... just look at the boards around here where all the healthy weight people complain about their co-workers/friends/family all instructing them to go eat a hamburger or something because they feel like they are "too thin" when they are actually a healthy weight.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i dont see what the big deal is...im husky
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    welcome to ze internetz. If you want everything to be 100% polite and politically correct 100% of the time, you'll probably have to start a group and only allow like-minded members.

Yeah, it's the internet, so people are going to talk about stuff, as we are all doing. It goes both ways. If you don't like seeing people talk maybe you should get off the internet and join a group. Funny how people always misapply this logic.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

This seems kind of condescending. The medical term for "cold" isn't "cold", one of the real medical terms being Acute viral nasopharyngitis. Also, definitions can change over time, like the word "*kitten*". And if you want to be politically correct, then you misused the word "dumb". Its real meaning means you cannot speak or you are mute. And if you look up "skinny" in the dictionary, it means unhealthily thin...

You're welcome.

:flowerforyou:

<clap clap clap>
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Especially in a public forum like this you have to learn to ignore a lot of what people say. People don't know who to be nice especially when they can hide behind a computer screen.

Just know what you are doing is right and keep doing it. You will always have people you have to ignore, and it gets worse when you become successful, the darts really start flying. LOL online and in person, it's the sad state of humans.

Have a great day anyway. Just keep going.

blog bobbiesfitness.com
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

<clap clap clap>

that second answer took a lot of work.....great research...good stuff
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Ok, I may have been a bit glib with my normal weight obesity (NWO) remark at the beginning of this thread but that is what generally "skinny fat" is deemed to be if you are looking at it medically.

It is associated with similar health problems as standard obesity. I think sometimes people forget that obesity is really about body fatness rather than weight.

See here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2838679/
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that having "high" levels of body fat is a concern no matter your weight. I just think "skinny fat" is over used and can be insulting. I didn't say people in this condition should be happy with themselves. I said they should continue to do what they need to improve their health and physique.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

You're welcome.

<clap clap clap>

Exactly, it's called "sarcopenic obesity", so it's not accurate the way a lot of people are using the term: "Skinny fat". That's exactly the point that's being missed. I don't have a problem with the term "skinny fat" being used by people that have the condition or by their doctors or loved ones. I just don't like how it is misunderstood on MFP and in some of the instances I have witnessed other people throwing the term at other people. That's my opinion. I'm allowed to express my opinion on the internet. It's not about being politically correct or even hurt. But, if people can't have a rational conversation, then that's their problem, good luck to them in life and in relationships.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Can we put all the jokes about male pregnancy on the list as well?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

:drinker:
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

<clap clap clap>

Exactly, it's called "sarcopenic obesity", so it's not accurate the way a lot of people are using the term: "Skinny fat". That's exactly the point that's being missed. I don't have a problem with the term "skinny fat" being used by people that have the condition or by their doctors or loved ones. I just don't like how it is misunderstood on MFP and in some of the instances I have witnessed other people throwing the term at other people. That's my opinion. I'm allowed to express my opinion on the internet. It's not about being politically correct or even hurt.

Yeah, and as I said a cold is called Acute viral nasopharyngitis. But you don't hear me saying "those mean people told me to blow my nose when I have a cold, the real term is Acute viral nasopharyngitis! I'm scarred for life!" Okay, dramatic. But regardless, people use terms that they can relate to. I used that as an example. A car really isn't a car, its an automobile. Get it? I could list several examples in the medical world and related to weight and health, however I have a feeling it will be a lost cause. I never once stated you weren't allowed to express your opinion, so I don't know why you even brought that up? And I never once stated things had to be correct, but if someone is going to preach about using medically correct terminology then in the same breath they should not misuse simple words like "dumb", which by the way, is also insulting...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's what I'd just call 'flabby', but you could call 'skinny fat'. Except skinny fat is a dumb phrase.

I totally agree. I think flabby is a better term to use.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

You're welcome.

<clap clap clap>

Exactly, it's called "sarcopenic obesity", so it's not accurate the way a lot of people are using the term: "Skinny fat". That's exactly the point that's being missed. I don't have a problem with the term "skinny fat" being used by people that have the condition or by their doctors or loved ones. I just don't like how it is misunderstood on MFP and in some of the instances I have witnessed other people throwing the term at other people. That's my opinion. I'm allowed to express my opinion on the internet. It's not about being politically correct or even hurt.

Yeah, and as I said a cold is called Acute viral nasopharyngitis. But you don't hear me saying "those mean people told me to blow my nose when I have a cold, the real term is Acute viral nasopharyngitis! I'm scarred for life!" Okay, dramatic. But regardless, people use terms that they can relate to. I used that as an example. A car really isn't a car, its an automobile. Get it? I could list several examples in the medical world and related to weight and health, however I have a feeling it will be a lost cause. I never once stated you weren't allowed to express your opinion, so I don't know why you even brought that up? And I never once stated things had to be correct, but if someone is going to preach about using medically correct terminology then in the same breath they should not misuse simple words like "dumb", which by the way, is also insulting...

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. What I was saying was not directed at you personally. I was only quoting you for the term to show how the word is misused. But, what I was saying was not directed at you. I don't even know you.

The part about expressing an opinion was for the people that just say, "this is the internet". It was just general. It was not about you personally.

I didn't use the word dumb.