I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    "Skinny Fat" sounds like something b!tchy, jealous, insecure, overweight women invented to put down other normal weight women.

I respectfully disagree. Like obesity, skinny fat is a body composition that can cause health issues. It may be used by b!itchy people as a slur, but so can just about anything.

I am normal weight, and use the term skinny fat to describe people who are also in the normal range, but have a high % of body fat, no muscle tone or fitness. I do not use it in a derogatory manner.

But, this is the issue. And, I'm not saying this to argue with you. I've seen you around the site and I like you. But, how do people think they can determine another person's BF%. It's hard enough to measure our own. There is no scientific validity to those scales at the gym and measurements will yield very different results. The only accurate measurement is a dunk test.

And as a side note here: A person can be small and be physically strong. Muscle is smaller than fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is a valid point. If a person loses 50# and 45# of it is muscle, they still have way too much fat. The thought behind the term is to educate people on trying to maintain or build muscle while losing fat.

And how often would one lose 50# and only 5# be fat?
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    "Skinny Fat" sounds like something b!tchy, jealous, insecure, overweight women invented to put down other normal weight women.

I respectfully disagree. Like obesity, skinny fat is a body composition that can cause health issues. It may be used by b!itchy people as a slur, but so can just about anything.

I am normal weight, and use the term skinny fat to describe people who are also in the normal range, but have a high % of body fat, no muscle tone or fitness. I do not use it in a derogatory manner.
    Sure, but 'obesity' is a medical term, whereas 'skinny fat' is not.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is a valid point. If a person loses 50# and 45# of it is muscle, they still have way too much fat. The thought behind the term is to educate people on trying to maintain or build muscle while losing fat.

And how often would one lose 50# and only 5# be fat?

Right, there is an extreme lack of understanding about science and how the body actually works to think that someone could lose 50 pounds and only 5 pounds be fat.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

But, this is the issue. And, I'm not saying this to argue with you. I've seen you around the site and I like you. But, how do people think they can determine another person's BF%. It's hard enough to measure our own. There is no scientific validity to those scales at the gym and measurements will yield very different results. The only accurate measurement is a dunk test.

And as a side note here: A person can be small and be physically strong. Muscle is smaller than fat.

I totally agree. A person can be very small and (gasp!) be strong too. Why is that so hard to understand? I guess in some people's eyes big means strong and small denotes fraility. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I'm at an age, where I really don't give a damn what anyone says about my body anymore. I get the validity I need about my physical body from my reflection in the mirror. If I'm happy, that's ALL that really matters. Others opinions, insults or jabs are of no consequence to me....not anymore. Happiness comes from within IMO.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To each their own I suppose. Skinny fat isn't exactly a tactful description, but it does describe body composition, I suppose we could use "frail" instead.

Frail is what I would have called them back in my soccer days.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The first time I encountered "skinny fat" was a guy I very briefly dated. He looked fine clothed. Slender. But nekkid, he had very thin arms, very thin legs, a bony chest, and a soft, mushy disproportionately large belly. Like a somewhat deflated beer belly, but he wasn't a drinker. He wasn't interested in fitness, exercise, nutrition... and neither was I at the time, so I didn't care about any of that, but I was surprised at how someone so thin could be so out of shape.

No, I didn't call him skinny fat, or make any mention of his physique, and it had nothing to do with why we only dated briefly. It wasn't until years later that I started hearing the phrase and remembered his unfortunate shape that I put two and two together.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I totally agree. A person can be very small and (gasp!) be strong too. Why is that so hard to understand? I guess in some people's eyes big means strong and small denotes fraility. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I'm at an age, where I really don't give a damn what anyone says about my body anymore. I get the validity I need about my physical body from my reflection in the mirror. If I'm happy, that's ALL that really matters. Others opinions, insults or jabs are of no consequence to me....not anymore. Happiness comes from within IMO.

I think "skinny-fat" means that they are small and NOT strong, as in, they have very little muscle tone, just flab.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Its not measuring exact BF% - its composition! I am smaller now at 140lbs than I was at 134lbs before children. My BF% is lower - do you knwo what it is....of course not. There are plenty of men and women on this site who can attest to the fact that gaining muscle is beneficial to our overall health and body composition.

But the fact is - the term is not meant to be derogatory. but much like any adjective one can always find a way to make it be so. Short, fat, tall, skinny, round, plump, bald, hairy, frail, thin, etc.....each one is a way to describe someone. Skinny-fat is just a way to decribe someone who may be thin/skinny but is made up of more fat....which can cause major medical issues!!! Do people use it negatively.....yes. But take it how you want - if you let it get to you it will.

Of course someone can be small and strong. I have a lot of small friends who are insanely strong. Small does not = skinny fat. How are some of you not understanding that??
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The first time I encountered "skinny fat" was a guy I very briefly dated. He looked fine clothed. Slender. But nekkid, he had very thin arms, very thin legs, a bony chest, and a soft, mushy disproportionately large belly. Like a somewhat deflated beer belly, but he wasn't a drinker. He wasn't interested in fitness, exercise, nutrition... and neither was I at the time, so I didn't care about any of that, but I was surprised at how someone so thin could be so out of shape.

No, I didn't call him skinny fat, or make any mention of his physique, and it had nothing to do with why we only dated briefly. It wasn't until years later that I started hearing the phrase and remembered his unfortunate shape that I put two and two together.

YOU ARE AWESOME :flowerforyou: -AND I think you dated my current boyfriend j/k but really he is shaped like that a little and he taught me that term :wink:
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I think "skinny-fat" means that they are small and NOT strong, as in, they have very little muscle tone, just flab.

Yes - I think this is the point I was trying to make. My mom is skinny fat. She fits into size 4 jeans and starves herself to stay thin, but can't walk a mile without huffing, and has extreme amounts of visible fat. This is not a 'cosmetic issue' as her waist to hip measurement puts her in danger as does her level of internal fat. (this from her Doctor, not me. She disagreed and said 'I am a size 4, of course I am healthy!)

I suppose the issue here is the term being misused. It certainly does not apply to small people, or slim people, but a few people who fit small clothes, but might have the same body fat percentage as an obese person. I suppose I have used it in one context which is why I think it is a perfectly good term, but I can understand the OP's irritation if it is being misused!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    In fact, they use that term to describe women with my ideal body. I don't want 14% BF and muscles all over. I want to be thin and in shape, but I don't want a six pack.

I agree.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The term "Skinny Fat" is adequate to describe a state of body composition. Applying some sort of emotional response to it is ridiculous. Fat, skinny, toned, bulky, chunky, skinny fat, thin, etc. are all simply terms to describe the physical appearance of a person's body composition.

Do you get equally offended when someone is described as tall or bald or pale?

Simply describing someone's physical appearance does not mean anyone is suggesting they be treated differently based on it or should gain/lose value in themselves as a person.

All words have connotations and evoke some sort of emotional response. We are not robots, nor should we be, which is why it is important to treat each other politely. If someone asks specifically whether they are skinny fat, I see no problem with an honest response, but to go out of your way to give someone a negative opinion of their physique, whether you think they are overly thin, skinny fat, or simply fat, is unkind.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So, what does "skinny" mean, then?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I agree with this last post, completely. I don't build muscle easily and am skinny, but I'm still pretty fit and can do quite a few things requiring strength and agility. Most using my own bodyweight, but not all. :)
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options
    Ehh i use all those terms i like being called tone or fit i used to call myself skinny fat because i jiggled even though my stomach was flat guess im not sensitive :flowerforyou:
  • clarechieri
    clarechieri Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am probably what most people here would call skinny fat as other than pretty big arm muscles from lifting kids all day I have no muscle tone. Not that it really bothers me as I am now the smallest ive ever been in my life recently walked a charity 10k walk with no problem what so ever which I also wouldn't have been able to do before. My stomach is very squishy some of which is lose skin from years of being overweight and having 3children.

I'm not a massive fan of the term skinny fat and do think its used in the wrong way a lot but I would definitely rather be called that than fat or obese.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

So, what does "skinny" mean, then?

Skinny means bony, no flab or muscles, just skin and bones.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options

I agree with this last post, completely. I don't build muscle easily and am skinny, but I'm still pretty fit and can do quite a few things requiring strength and agility. Most using my own bodyweight, but not all. :)

-gets into wrestleing stance- here kitty kitty kitty ;p
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I always considered the term to imply that someone who is skinny that eats like crap. Not a direct insult on their physical traits, but their actual health.