Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    England: odds are against you getting shot ... but hope you're prepared to be knifed. Number of knife deaths have about doubled in the last few decades. You are far more likely to be the victim of knife crime in the UK than you are to be a gun crime victim in the US.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a safer place to run. :wink:
  • Cleavetoo
    Options
    I have done some running with a concealed firearm. There was no discomfort. The holster I used is an elastic wide waist band holster with a button lock for the firearm. There's a pocket inside the belt for the firearm and the button locks it into place so it doesn't move around. The belt itself velcros together so it can be made pretty snug for very little movement if any at all. Because it fits so snug, it's very difficult to see. Here's a link to one similar to the one I used.

http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/gun-holsters/iwb-concealment-holsters/standard-nylon-holsters/15-elastic-belly-band-gun-holster-it-508.html

I don't live in a neighborhood where this is necessary. I think I just wanted to try it out. I live in a metro area and somehow a bear wandered into the city and was found in my neighborhood somewhere along my route. Not that my firearm would have done any good, but I think I remember wanting to have something just in case he popped up on me before they caught him (which they eventually did.)

Of course, be sure to carry your ID with you and depending on where you live, be sure you don't violate any rules on where you can carry such as so many feet from a school (in some areas you can't carry within the vicinity of a school). Other than that, if you have a small enough firearm, like a .380 or a .38 or one of those cool KalTechs it's totally doable. Good luck.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    yeah... see... I guess its perspective.
    You or someone you love gets raped or molested... you say "well atleast you're alive"

On the otherhand.. if someone I love is about to get raped or molested.. I kill them, then we say "well, atleast he wont rape or molest anyone else".

I suppose the diff is, I am allowed to prevent it.
    Niether of us can really do much after it occurs.. well.. legally atleast.

You know... you're right here. I think I would be more likely to fight to protect someone I loved as opposed to protect myself.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    England: odds are against you getting shot ... but hope you're prepared to be knifed. Number of knife deaths have about doubled in the last few decades. You are far more likely to be the victim of knife crime in the UK than you are to be a gun crime victim in the US.

Yeahbut at least they aren't being shot............
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    yeah... see... I guess its perspective.
    You or someone you love gets raped or molested... you say "well atleast you're alive"

On the otherhand.. if someone I love is about to get raped or molested.. I kill them, then we say "well, atleast he wont rape or molest anyone else".

I suppose the diff is, I am allowed to prevent it.
    Niether of us can really do much after it occurs.. well.. legally atleast.

You know... you're right here. I think I would be more likely to fight to protect someone I loved as opposed to protect myself.

well.. I just would say its pretty hard for someone (not to mention unlikely) to rape me. LOL.
  • danewortley
    danewortley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    the question was about how to conceal carry while running or working out, not if you think it is right or wrong. Some people have jobs or requirements that may require different needs than you and others and to tell them they are wrong for that is foolish and ignorant.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

exactly.
    I laugh everytime someone talks about how much better England is for having almost no shootings.

because they're ****ing brutal there.
    they knife you
    they beat you with bats.
    they thrash you with chains and kick you with boots.
    they gang up on you.

all things that still kill you.. in a bloodier, more brutal way.

MURDER RATES NEVER CHANGED.. the same amount of innocent people still die.

matter of fact, englands knife assults went up so much, they banned carrying pocket knifes unless required for your job... so an innocent man cant even carry a useful tool around unless he has a reason. nevermind self defence, I just carry my pocket knife for simple things like cutting an occasional box open, or if my drink mix tube wont tear properly.... cant do that there.
  • Tixxie
    Options

Actually our murder rate is the lowest it's been for two decades but don't let facts get in the way of a good old rant, eh?
  • jaye121
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots out there. It's unsettling to think that anyone around me could be carrying.

If you live in America, there are lots of people around you who are legally carrying concealed weapons. Have any of them hurt you yet?
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    this thread strangely makes me think of this..

beatingadeadhorsey.jpg
    :laugh:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

exactly.
    I laugh everytime someone talks about how much better England is for having almost no shootings.

they knife you
    they beat you with bats.
    they gang up on you.

matter of fact, englands knife assults went up so much, they banned carrying pocket knifes unless required for your job... so an innocent man cant even carry a useful tool around unless he has a reason. nevermind self defence, I just carry my pocket knife for simple things like cutting an occasional box open, or if my drink mix tube wont tear properly.... cant do that there.

Well, you can just look it up and see you're wrong:

UK murder rate per 100,000 residents: 1.2

US murder rate per 100,000 residents: 4.2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

So you are almost 3.5 times more likely to be murdered in the US than in the UK. And guns are clearly a huge part of that, since in the US we have over 9000 gun murders per year, while in the UK they have only 39. Carrying guns escalates things very quickly, resulting in many more murders.

--P
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Actually our murder rate is the lowest it's been for two decades but don't let facts get in the way of a good old rant, eh?
    that's just the calm before the storm. We're only four months away from the zombie apocalypse. Remember, you gotta shoot em in the head. Oh wait. You don't have a gun.... just run.
  • sjohnny
    Options

that's just the calm before the storm. We're only four months away from the zombie apocalypse. Remember, you gotta shoot em in the head. Oh wait. You don't have a gun.... just run.

Or head for the Winchester and get that rifle from behind the bar.
  • sjohnny
    Options

exactly.

they knife you
    they beat you with bats.
    they gang up on you.

So you are almost 3.5 times more likely to be murdered in the US than in the UK. And guns are clearly a huge part of that, since in the US we have over 9000 gun murders per year, while in the UK they have only 39. Carrying guns escalates things very quickly, resulting in many more murders.

--P

39 gun murders but almost 600 murders total. If I'm going to be murdered I'd rather be shot than beat to death.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is a fascinating thread....here I was logging in to post my exercise calories and I get to feast on a whole host of anthropological insights. How super.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

exactly.

they knife you
    they beat you with bats.
    they gang up on you.

--P
    Clearly a bunch of fat, old civil war reenactors are to blame for that and not the truckloads of machine guns being sold to mexican drug cartels by the american government and illegal arms trading. Making drugs illegal sure did a great job of keeping drugs out of the hands of criminals. Let's use that same model for guns.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    the question was about how to conceal carry while running or working out, not if you think it is right or wrong. Some people have jobs or requirements that may require different needs than you and others and to tell them they are wrong for that is foolish and ignorant.

That's because some of us, American's included can't fathom why you would need a gun to run. There are treadmills in the gym, there are tracks at the local park or high school, there are well-lit and populated trails. If an area makes you question your safety to the point where you need a gun, maybe you should avoid jogging in that area.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    But criminals carry guns with the purpose of using them against a person. How is defending yourself from it "wacky"?
    But why would a criminal want to shoot you? Honestly, I'm genuinely confused! I know criminals may want to steal your phone, money, purse etc. but just randomly shooting you for the fun of it seems a bit out there. No?

And what is your argument against being physically assaulted? Say a criminal confronts you and demands your phone, money, purse/wallet. What if they think they need to subdue you first? Maybe they're only going to punch you a couple of times. Maybe they have more nefarious notions in mind. How are you to know? And are you simply going to sit back and let that happen? Let them physically assault you until they feel you're sufficiently cowed? Maybe you're comfortable with that.

And what about rape? While uncommon given the number of runners vs the reports we hear on the news, it happens. And when it happens to you, you don't give a hoot about statistics that say your chances of it happening to you were slim. Are you content to sit back and let it happen because you don't want the worry of shooting someone and possibly taking their life?

I'm not. If I'm attacked I want the means to defend myself. If I'm going to be attacked I'm going down fighting. Am I going to be concerned about whatever pain/damage I inflict on my attacker? Heck no!! If they make the choice to attack me then they have to deal with whatever the consequences might be.

Don't place the blame on the victim for wanting to defend themselves. The blame should be placed squarely where it belongs...on the attacker/robber/assaulter. I simply don't understand this mentality of making the victim out to be the bad guy.

^^This^^ is my biggest fear while running. Are other women not afraid of being assaulted? I don't live in a high crime area, but I do live in the suburbs of a major metro area, and crime does trickle down. We have had several incidents in the past two years of women being kidnapped and carjacked out of their own driveways in the "safe" area, driven into the city, and attacked. Like you, I'll be damned if I'm just going to roll over and allow myself to be raped again.
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    But criminals carry guns with the purpose of using them against a person. How is defending yourself from it "wacky"?
    But why would a criminal want to shoot you? Honestly, I'm genuinely confused! I know criminals may want to steal your phone, money, purse etc. but just randomly shooting you for the fun of it seems a bit out there. No?

I wish I lived on your planet. :smile:

Randomly shooting people for the fun of it has become a popular form of recreation in cities like Chicago and Washington DC in recent days. Gang initiations often require some young punk to pick the random civilian and blow him/her away just to show his homies what a badass he is. People are much more likely to be killed in a robbery today here than they were in the past. Your life has absolutely no value to the punks roaming the streets today. They will kill you just for the bragging rights. I wasn't aware that Canada and Europe were under a total news blackout. I thought this was common knowledge. I realize you have your own gang and criminal problems, but they are nothing like what we have here. We have ultra violent gangs like MS13 strolling in across the border from Mexico and our beloved president has forbidden the ICE/Border Patrol from interfering with our newest residents.

I just saw a great article from the UK on how well you are handling your crime problem there. The burglar would have to be brave to do that in Texas!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198621/It-takes-huge-courage-burgle-somebodys-house-What-judge-told-intruder-raided-homes-letting-walk-free-court.html?ITO=1490

Firstly, I am not from the UK, so that article doesn't apply. Yes, we do hear about shootings in the US over here, but it is usually when it happens in a school or university.

Honestly, your post just makes me very sad. How awful. If that is how things are over there then yes, I can understand why you would choose to own a firearm. But, did the availablity of guns cause the problem in the first place or is it something deeper than that?

There will possibly be an opportunity for me to work in the US next year (for a few years) but this post is really putting me off the idea! I have a child and I would never want him exposed to such a culture.

Very sad indeed.

Yes, it is very sad. I don't want to give you the impression that all of America is like that. As someone else mentioned, America is a huge place. I feel pretty safe in the places I choose to visit and am smart enough to stay out of the places that aren't safe. Gang crime is mostly concentrated in the large cities, but has been spreading out into smaller communities lately. Guns are not what is causing the increasing violence. There are a lot of factors. Moral relativism, broken families, infatuation with the rap gansta culture, poor economic outlook for young people, lure of easy money in crime, glorification of violence in movies & TV, boredom, etc. All of these are contributing to the decline of our culture. We see almost every week in the news that 13 or 20 more people were shot over the weekend in Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, etc. We have flash mob robberies with dozens of participants. We have large mobs of teenagers running through the streets at night following a concert or a state fair and assaulting anyone of a different race. The newest craze is the knockout game. This is where 4 or 5 punks pick out some helpless looking person on crutches, in a wheelchair, or too old to fight back and they video their attack on him and post it to YouTube for its entertainment value. The idea is to sucker punch the victim and knock him out with one punch. Nice, huh? Many of the victims are killed out right. Many more are permanently disabled. Several joggers and cyclists have also been victims of the knockout game. Those are our people. Yeah, I'll keep on carrying and won't feel the least bit guilty about it. I'm kinda stubborn that way.