Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options
Does anyone carry a pistol with them when they run or bike? I live in a neighborhood that is not the greatest. There is a lake block from my house that has a wonderful trail. Years ago there were several assaults, some of them sexual against women. Two years ago a cop was killed a block from lake. Nothing has happened since then, at least not in the abudance it had been happening but I think I would feel safer if I got a conceal and carry permit (legal here in Minnesota). So here are my questions.

1) If you do conceal and carry while running, have you ever had any situations? i.e. causing pain because it is secured awkwardly, falling out, etc
2) If I am a jogging, how would I secure it in the best way? What piece of equipment for holstering?

I have had training with pistols, assault rifles and shotguns beyond a little personal experience so I am not a total novice with guns.

Replies

• bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do not have a weapon to conceal even if I wanted to but this post reassures my decision to not run this morning when it was still dark out. Not nessarily a lot of crime in my neighborhood (no more/no less than others) but the path I would run becomes quite desolate at one point and I figured why risk it. Will try to do evenings before dark instead.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It works a lot better if it is early in the morning for our family. Too much going on in the evening with really young kids (5 and under).
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    IDK about running with a pistol, but a knife might be a good option (it's something). My bf runs with his knife when we go out for runs.

I'd imagine you'd have to physically try out different style holsters and see what feels most comfortable on you and what you think would work while you run.
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I have not run/worked out with a concealed weapon. I have seen some "fanny pack" type concealed carriers. Versapack has some bags that are nice looking and have concealed carry area. You may want to look at LApolicegear.com, they have some good stuff.

One of the reasons I workout in the gym where I work!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    1) If you do conceal and carry while running, have you ever had any situations? i.e. causing pain because it is secured awkwardly, falling out, etc

I run with an Ruger LCP .380, it is light weight and I've never had any problem with it causing pain.

2) If I am a jogging, how would I secure it in the best way? What piece of equipment for holstering?

I wear a Nathan Hydration belt, it has the perfect size pocket for carrying. It is not as easily accessible as I would like, but more for "animals" or non-emergency types of situations. I've been known to carry and put in my hands.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was thinking maybe something like a back holster.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Back-Holster-SOB/dp/B003HKUOE2

That would probably be the easiest when running.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hill People Gear has a Runner's Kit Bag - I haven't tried it yet, but might.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have 2 back scabards for my pump action shotguns. If you've seen Woody Harrelsons character in Zombieland, you'll know what I mean.. You hardly know that they are there when you're out running.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coryt415
    Options
    +1 on the ruger lcp .380 light enough to wear with sweatpants...buy one and wear it everywhere
  • throgmar
    throgmar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why conceal?

Carry open and avoid the problems you describe, and the problem to begin with.

Seriously.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    That really sucks you even haven to worry about things like that. I live in Green Bay, WI and crime here is rare, especially violent crime. If there is something violent it's usually DV or someone you know, no really random attacks. We have a trail here through something called Baird's Creek where it is completely closed off from the road and the paved trail runs along the creek...and I'm not even worried about running through there. :/ Makes me feel a little better about living here, now. I'd consider getting a gym membership if it's really that worrysome...& Open carry is legal. Do you necessarily need it concealed?
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Chuck Norris conceals his weapons in his gloves.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Dear God, running with knives and guns?!?!? What?!?

I am very glad I live in Europe!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada. That stuff doesn't happen here. I'd be more worried about being run down by someone talking on their cell phone.
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing bad ever happens to people in Europe and Canada. Nothing. Ever.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    ^^^This, LOL^^^

Do you have to conceal, or are you permitted in your area to carry openly? If so, I would go with the shoulder holsters, the one that goes on similar to a backpack.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Not one person has EVER been assaulted in Europe or Canada
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well of course bad things happen to people in Europe and Canada. Bad things happen everywhere, but I have never, ever heard of anyone carrying a weapon whilst they were jogging - that's insane. The cops over here don't even carry guns so why should I if I'm out jogging?