Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• emtjess
    Options
    im not a runner, but I do bicycle and walk alot! I carry a keltec 32 in my camelbak most of the time, or i use the clip on it near the small of my back and cover with a longer shirt. I do have a conceal carry permit. =-) you should have a camelbak for hydration n e ways =-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing bad ever happens to people in Europe and Canada. Nothing. Ever.
    Well of course bad things happen to people in Europe and Canada. Bad things happen everywhere, but I have never, ever heard of anyone carrying a weapon whilst they were jogging - that's insane. The cops over here don't even carry guns so why should I if I'm out jogging?

Well the cops here are carrying guns because of the war that's going on. We will have a lot less violence in America once the government gives peace a chance and stops declaring war on her own people.

Umm what? No that's not the reason cops carry guns.

The more and more I think about it, the more I wish I had a gun. I will probably take a safety class and learn about them before actually purchasing one. We have a few (hubby has a shotgun and an AR15) but I would like one that I can carry in my purse that is mine. I would like to think that I will never need to use it. But I would rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

True, there are other reasons. I was using hyperbole to throw a statement regarding my disdain for the drug war. But it is also true that our streets will finally be less violent once prohibition finally ends for good.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Carrying a weapon or using one are both serious topics. Most people who carry anything will either injure themselves or have their weapon turned on them. There are few people who are actually trained to use them.

:laugh:
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I see some naive people here thinking bad things won’t happen to them.

Statistically speaking, you're naive thinking bad things WILL happen to you... and even more-so to think that a gun will solve anything.

Well, since a gun has already saved my life once... I would say I am not naive but I do value your input. I understand people are scared and don't understand weapons. Mostly it's people who have not grown up or are educated with them. Totally understand that! I have some friends that believe the same thing and I do value everyone opinions but I am here today because I knew how to use a weapon. It's a personal choice... a choice our founding fathers deemed important enough to put it right into our constitution.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    When I'm running is the ONLY time I'm not carrying. I haven't found a comfortable way to do it. I get really sensitive to anything "extra" on me when I'm running. I don't carry anything except my ipod strapped to my arm and a house key. The smallest gun I own weighs 15 ounces and I have not been able to carry it in a way that it doesn't bother me.

As far as all the other comments:
    I find it strange when people are so afraid of guns. I was raised with guns, I've been shooting for 35 years and I've been carrying professionally for 17. To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family. As far as the statment about "most" people injuring themselves or having their weapon turned on them - there are millions of people legally carrying guns every day in this country. Very few of them ever get injured or have anything bad happen to them one way or the other.

I personally train with my guns regularly (and train others). I also carry pepper spray and train in weapon retention. Not because I'm scared of anything but I like to be prepared.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I'm running is the ONLY time I'm not carrying. I haven't found a comfortable way to do it. I get really sensitive to anything "extra" on me when I'm running. I don't carry anything except my ipod strapped to my arm and a house key. The smallest gun I own weighs 15 ounces and I have not been able to carry it in a way that it doesn't bother me.

I find it strange when people are so afraid of guns. I was raised with guns, I've been shooting for 35 years and I've been carrying professionally for 17. To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family. As far as the statment about "most" people injuring themselves or having their weapon turned on them - there are millions of people legally carrying guns every day in this country. Very few of them ever get injured or have anything bad happen to them one way or the other.

I personally train with my guns regularly (and train others). I also carry pepper spray and train in weapon retention. Not because I'm scared of anything but I like to be prepared.

You really explained this well and in detail. You put my thoughts on paper.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

Difference is, fire extinguishers and first aid kits don't tend to kill people.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Thanks. Guns have saved my life a couple of times - even though I've never had to pull the trigger.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Agree.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

You can kill someone with a fire extinguisher. It's pretty easy to kill someone if you want to do it. No gun necessary.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    When I leave the safety of my neighborhood, I carry a Tazer.... in my hand.
  • Spritzup
    Options
    I find it strange when people are so afraid of guns.

I think you're confusing 'dislike' with 'fear'. To clarify, I 'dislike' spaghetti... I'm not afraid of it.
    I was raised with guns, I've been shooting for 35 years and I've been carrying professionally for 17. To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

Don't even get me started about the amount of fire extinguisher related violence we have up here in Canada. From December to March, we have so many drive-by extinguishing that tourists mistake it for snow. And first aid... don't even get me started on it. Devil worshipers the lot of them.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It scares me that anyone can run around with a weapon in this country.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    It scares me that anyone can run around with a weapon in this country.

That is a irrational fear, you should consider seeking professional help
    Many of you seem to have Hoplophobia
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I run with mase. I live in Minnesota as well. FYI to the people from MN that have posted and noted "they don't need it, or I'd move", wild life is moving in/very close to the TC Metro Area. I carry it to protect me from wildlife more than anything.

This makes me happier that I live in the US.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Don't even get me started about the amount of fire extinguisher related violence we have up here in Canada. From December to March, we have so many drive-by extinguishing that tourists mistake it for snow. And first aid... don't even get me started on it. Devil worshipers the lot of them.

I don't draw a distinction. To me they are all tools to be used for my safety and that of my family. A gun is an inanimate object just like a car. It only does what its user makes it do. The main difference, for me, between guns and fire extinguishers is that guns make for a much more fun afternoon than fire extinguishers do - although in my younger days the fire extinguisher wars we had were pretty fun too.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I bring my dog. No one is crazy enough to jump someone with a dog. But I only run in heavily populated areas, never at night, and keep my music pretty low.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My friend who is a NYPD was stopped on his bike bc someone spotted the gun.. LOL
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I workout in the gym where I work!

Ditto!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

You can kill someone with a fire extinguisher. It's pretty easy to kill someone if you want to do it. No gun necessary.

Only if they're standing right in front of you, and you were strong enough and tall enough and quick enough to lift it and swing it at their head before they moved.

Guns are so different to every other weapon. In a second, in the heat of the moment, someone's life is gone forever.