Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

Difference is, fire extinguishers and first aid kits don't tend to kill people.

You can kill someone with a fire extinguisher. It's pretty easy to kill someone if you want to do it. No gun necessary.

Only if they're standing right in front of you, and you were strong enough and tall enough and quick enough to lift it and swing it at their head before they moved.

Guns are so different to every other weapon. In a second, in the heat of the moment, someone's life is gone forever.

And you go to jail forever.

I don't think that would make the dead person feel better :(

Missing my point. People who carry have to complete and pass a heavy training course in order to be able to carry. They understand the concequences of carrying, and that they cannot fire unless their life is in imminent danger. People who go crazy and just "fire in the heat of the moment" most likely aren't carrying legally anyway.

Ah, I didn't know you had to undergo training to own a gun, I thought you could just walk into a store and buy one. Still, you get the point I'm making - a lot of damage can be done very quickly, in fear, or anger, or just by mistake. That's why guns scare me.

It is interesting to talk about it though, with people who have them.

LMFAO if you can call that stupid six hour class along with some lame excuse of target shooting training.

Your instructor must have been pretty awesome then.

Yeah it was pretty crappy, but I have owned and carried firearms my whole life so it is not like I missed out. However when it comes to carrying when you run, I dont do it. My current go to weapon is a Sig .40 and it is a tad too large to carry while running. I have been considering getting a .38 as a secondary weapon but have not made the commitment yet.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to suggest.

I grew up in the country. Lots of bears, wolves, and cougars. I ran around with no protection and never had a problem (we were wilderness savvy kids and knew how to avoid sneaking up on these creatures and how to respond if we DID happen upon one). When I moved to town I was more worried about the humans I'd encounter then I ever was about the wildlife.

I guess it just depends on your neighborhood and your comfort level?

In the town I live in NO ONE has EVER been attacked unless they were in the drug industry. Despite this I don't feel safe running on my own after dark. I keep to the same route, close to lights and always, always, always have a weapon ready in my pocket (whether it be a knife or my keys - which can be used to harm an attacker if used correctly). Not sure I'd feel comfortable running with a gun. I'd be terrified of accidental discharges and things like that.

Whatever you decide. Be safe. Be smart. Don't shoot someone just because they seem suspicious? Okay?
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Do you have to conceal, or are you permitted in your area to carry openly? If so, I would go with the shoulder holsters, the one that goes on similar to a backpack.
    [/quote]

This
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    http://www.thunderwear.com/ is my favorite.

Never had anyone bother me, and I hope they don't because they are in for a suprise.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I live in a very safe area so I rarely feel the need to carry a weapon but if I go out at night I wear what I believe they call a belly band. It holds my 9mm tight against my torso so it doesn't jostle around and make it uncomfortable to jog. At night we are more likely to meet bears, coyotes, and wolves. (Even in town) I'm not worried about coming up on another person, more worried about the animals. I conceal the weapon so I don't scare the crap out of anyone else I would meet while out jogging.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    Another thing I think should be considered here is access to your firearm. Those belt holsters look cool and all but how fast can you gain access to your weapon? I carry strong draw and find that having to carry weak draw while not seated would suck, plus how sticky are those bands going to be on your weapon to slow your draw down. I dont know maybe I am over thinking the whole thing.
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing bad ever happens to people in Europe and Canada. Nothing. Ever.

Hahaha! Europe and Canada are BOTH completely crimeless..how did you not know this?! ;)
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    http://www.thunderwear.com/ is my favorite.

Never had anyone bother me, and I hope they don't because they are in for a suprise.

HELL NO! Why would you carry a weapon pointed down at your junk and your femoral artery. What if you have an accidental discharge?
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Mace is cheap and light. And you probably won't shoot your junk off. Also - if you are scared, run during the day and don't wear headphones. A little common sense goes a long way.

If all else fails, kick em in the crotch.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Damn all this gun talk is HOT!
  • AddA2UDE
    Options
    I wished I had a gun a couple of weeks ago. Stupid little woman with a huge, mean pitbull that she couldn't control attacked my buddy's dog as we went by. She said, "I don't know what's wrong with him. He never acts like this." MmmHmmm. He needed a bullet between his eyes. He'd never act that way again.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This is such an American thread!

(runs away.... with only her keys and phone on her)
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Mace is cheap and light. And you probably won't shoot your junk off. Also - if you are scared, run during the day and don't wear headphones. A little common sense goes a long way.

If all else fails, kick em in the crotch.

People carry mace in America too???

Next time I'm there I'm going to be looking at people in a whole new (suspicious) light.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Well this topic makes me worry for my kids. neighborhood jogger accidentally shoots kid. Kid finds gun that jogger drops. etc. Just freakin run. If you don't feel safe, you shouldn't be jogging.
  • AddA2UDE
    Options
    concealment-holster-shirt.jpg

5.11 holster shirts are pretty comfortable.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    concealment-holster-shirt.jpg

5.11 holster shirts are pretty comfortable.

still your weapon is not that accessible as you will more than not be wearing a tee shirt or other like type shirt over it. Again accessibility and functionality are as important as the weapon. Not to mention with the amount of sweat and the holsters lack of material to wick away moister you could possibly cause damage to your firearm.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I considered this myself but in the end carrying a gun with me could cause just as many issues as it could prevent. I think if I do end up going out on a trail by myself I'll just take mace or get a some form of taser. Also I won't be wearing headphones, I don't think some people realize how much of a target this can make you. Also it automatically gives animal or human attackers the drop on you. I don't care how fast you think you can react it isn't fast enough if you aren't fully aware of your surroundings. Other than that if you are really worried learn how to defend yourself via martial art or basic defense. With training you can usually defend against close combat attacks.

Fun fact: In combat testing between someone with a knife and someone with a gun at a range of ten feet apart or closer the knife wins almost every time. You can move faster with a knife than someone can decide they are going to shoot you, aim for a lethal shot, and pull the trigger. Also against a knife a bulletproof vest is not very useful. Police officers are usually trained to keep 15 to 25 feet away from someone armed with a knife until they surrender the knife so they have the proper amount of reaction time.
  • dfair1967
    Options
    Carrying a weapon or using one are both serious topics. Most people who carry anything will either injure themselves or have their weapon turned on them. There are few people who are actually trained to use them. Also, just because you have a weapon, doesn't mean you will have time to access it or use it.

I AM the victim of a brutal vicious attack. I had a lot of the same views as most people who have commented on here already. I assure you- YOUR VIEWS WILL CHANGE WHEN/IF THEY DAY COMES AND YOU ARE ATTACKED (and live to learn from it).

My advice- if you are going to carry any weapon 1)Learn how to use it (correctly) 2) Carry as if you are ready to use it

The Most Important Advice I have or will ever give is this: BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES. GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING ALWAYS (no matter how dumb it may seem or look). NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION THAT YOU KNOW CAN/WILL/COULD/WOULD/SHOULD GO WRONG.

Good Luck!

Very good advice.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    I considered this myself but in the end carrying a gun with me could cause just as many issues as it could prevent. I think if I do end up going out on a trail by myself I'll just take mace or get a some form of taser. Also I won't be wearing headphones, I don't think some people realize how much of a target this can make you. Also it automatically gives animal or human attackers the drop on you. I don't care how fast you think you can react it isn't fast enough if you aren't fully aware of your surroundings. Other than that if you are really worried learn how to defend yourself via martial art or basic defense. With training you can usually defend against close combat attacks.

Fun fact: In combat testing between someone with a knife and someone with a gun at a range of ten feet apart or closer the knife wins almost every time. You can move faster with a knife than someone can decide they are going to shoot you, aim for a lethal shot, and pull the trigger. Also against a knife a bulletproof vest is not very useful. Police officers are usually trained to keep 15 to 25 feet away from someone armed with a knife until they surrender the knife so they have the proper amount of reaction time.

At 10 feet if I see the knife I will drop you in a heartbeat. I have been stabbed and cut so bad that I required over 700 stitches across my arm and hands. You would be surprised how long it will take you to bleed out and what you can still do while bleeding.

If you are overcome by an attacker with a knive or club you need to make fast attack, push them away to create space and pull your weapon.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When I'm running is the ONLY time I'm not carrying. I haven't found a comfortable way to do it. I get really sensitive to anything "extra" on me when I'm running. I don't carry anything except my ipod strapped to my arm and a house key. The smallest gun I own weighs 15 ounces and I have not been able to carry it in a way that it doesn't bother me.

As far as all the other comments:
    I find it strange when people are so afraid of guns. I was raised with guns, I've been shooting for 35 years and I've been carrying professionally for 17. To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family. As far as the statment about "most" people injuring themselves or having their weapon turned on them - there are millions of people legally carrying guns every day in this country. Very few of them ever get injured or have anything bad happen to them one way or the other.

I personally train with my guns regularly (and train others). I also carry pepper spray and train in weapon retention. Not because I'm scared of anything but I like to be prepared.

You really explained this well and in detail. You put my thoughts on paper.

thanks for this Both of you...

To reiterate, the folks suggesting its unnecessary. You dont know any of us. You dont know where we live or the dangers we may encounter. You dont know how we grew up or how familiar we are with guns or weapons. You dont understand guns as all of you have basically suggested so why would you try to explain what you dont understand or what you fear to those of us that are comfortable and trained?

Do you have an answer to the OP's question? No then this is not a debate thread. run along.

Those who suggest we move? Really? We just pick up and move so we can run? Who cares about our families right? OR even if we are single. This is such a great economy to move in. Lots of Jobs and plenty of money for moving expenses. More importantly how far would you have me move? Sat. I'm scheduled to run 14 miles. Im going to run through alot of different neighborhoods and environments. It is better for me to be prepared for what I may encounter than to wish later that I had been more prepared.

OP I run on a trail sometimes that is an old railroad track that was converted and it runs for 20 miles through woods and farmland. Its dark and secluded. I am midway through my marathon training and I'm definitely going to start carrying pepper spray or mace. I've thought about a weapon but I'm afraid the bulk would be too much. However; I strongly encourage those who need to or want to carry to find a solution. I'll be watching