Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• jheeley1989
    Options
    I can understand having a gun if you live in an areas where bears and alligators are regularly seen to protect yourself from them but if your in the middle of a city I don't see why your government hasn't banned guns.

Can't be any coincidence that theres been quite a few shootings in America (where its legal to carry guns) that have been publicised over here in the last couple of months and that the only gun relate incident I've heard of over here is a couple that got arrested for shooting at a group of four men that were trying to break into their house!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19496531
  • ikoiko33
    Options
    What do you carry??

I have a .380 that I have run with concealed in a back holster, no issues. 5.11 makes an actual shirt that is designed for concealed carry - that might work for you.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I can understand having a gun if you live in an areas where bears and alligators are regularly seen to protect yourself from them but if your in the middle of a city I don't see why your government hasn't banned guns.

Can't be any coincidence that theres been quite a few shootings in America (where its legal to carry guns) that have been publicised over here in the last couple of months and that the only gun relate incident I've heard of over here is a couple that got arrested for shooting at a group of four men that were trying to break into their house!

That wasnt what the OP asked.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

That wasnt what the OP asked.

I think a lot of us were a bit shocked to log on to a health forum and see a conversation about carrying guns. You can't be surprised that we're going to make comments and ask questions.
  • ikoiko33
    Options
    concealment-holster-shirt.jpg

5.11 holster shirts are pretty comfortable.

still your weapon is not that accessible as you will more than not be wearing a tee shirt or other like type shirt over it. Again accessibility and functionality are as important as the weapon. Not to mention with the amount of sweat and the holsters lack of material to wick away moister you could possibly cause damage to your firearm.

Great minds think alike I guess … :glasses: Sorry I missed your post, makes mine redundant …
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

Difference is, fire extinguishers and first aid kits don't tend to kill people.

You can kill someone with a fire extinguisher. It's pretty easy to kill someone if you want to do it. No gun necessary.

Only if they're standing right in front of you, and you were strong enough and tall enough and quick enough to lift it and swing it at their head before they moved.

Guns are so different to every other weapon. In a second, in the heat of the moment, someone's life is gone forever.

And you go to jail forever.

I don't think that would make the dead person feel better :(

Then here's a thought...maybe the dead person shouldn't have made the decision to attack another human being. There are a lot of folks here making assumptions about how and when a concealed weapon might be deployed for use. Every gun owner I know hopes and prays they never have to pull that trigger. The OP isn't looking to willy-nilly pick a target and start shooting people. They're looking for a responsible, comfortable manner in which to carry a weapon they legally own. Unlike a would-be attacker who most likely neither legally carries nor cares about the consequences of their actions upon another person. For those of you saying 'I'd just run away'. Seriously? Do you really believe that's a realistic option? I'd say the majority of the time it's not. If someone's hell-bent on assaulting you, they're going to come after you. You'd better hope you're not too tired from your run to out pace them. For those of you saying 'That sort of thing doesn't happen here.' That's what other folks thought too. Right before they were raped or murdered in their safe, quiet neighborhood. The bad guys don't look around and think "Oh, I shouldn't rob/attack/rape anyone here. This is too nice of a neighborhood." The fact of the matter is that an attack/assault can happen anywhere, anytime. You can do all the right things - and it can still happen. The OP is being realistic. They are choosing to exercise their legal right to carry and defend themselves SHOULD the situation arise and trying to determine the safest, most comfortable way to do so.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    And where are you getting these "facts"?

Whoops, my bad. I meant to put the link in at the bottom of the post. I'll edit it to include it, and also put it here. Note that I found other sources, but this site had the cleanest display. Some organization had also done a very nice line graph over the last 50(?) years, but of course I can't find it when I need it.

Link --> http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

There are an estimated more than 80 million gun owners in the U.S., over 99% of them are law abiding citizens. 80 million gun owners, and an estimated over 300 million guns. In relation to those numbers, the number of gun violence in the US is relatively small. We hear about the bad things done with guns because that's how the media is set up...to report bad things. According to the U.N. figures, the U.S. had 9,146 homicides by firearm in 2009. Even if that number is extremely exaggerated over the course of 3 years and say there were 19,146 homicides by firearms in 2012, that's still %.00006 of the guns in the US used for homicide. People do use guns to kill, this is true, but guns are also used for hunting and recreation, they're collectibles to some, and hobbies to others. Guns are simply a tool, and like any other tool, can be used incorrectly to inflict pain and death.

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
  • jodil68
    jodil68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good god running with a gun, I would stick to my treadmill..........
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wished I had a gun a couple of weeks ago. Stupid little woman with a huge, mean pitbull that she couldn't control attacked my buddy's dog as we went by. She said, "I don't know what's wrong with him. He never acts like this." MmmHmmm. He needed a bullet between his eyes. He'd never act that way again.

oh gosh, I hope this doesn't turn into a "pitbulls are sooooo misunderstood" post. My boss has been attacked several times by dogs (three different breeds) and just recently the news reported about a pack of wild dogs on a nearby island - a scary thought if for instance you're a mother pushing a stroller, or well, just alone in general.

Thanks for all the actual useful responses & thanks OP for braving this topic (whether you knew it'd go debate mode or not!)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This is such an American thread!

(runs away.... with only her keys and phone on her)

Guns aren't legal there, but running nude is ok? *gasp!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For the Canadians and Europeans who cannot fathom running with a gun...

I live in the country. My neighbor is 1.5 miles away. I have seen alligator on the road, had dogs attacked by bobcats, and cattle dragged off by black bear. I have a 4 year old that sometimes runs with me. What would you suggest I carry? A knife? A taser? I don't want to give these things the opportunity to get that close.

Don't judge.

Pepper spray? A baton/large stick? I think guns and knives may be a little excessive, especially if you're running with your daughter.

YOU feel free to pepper spray an alligator and hit a bobcat with a baton. I prefer to keep them at quite a distance if necessary. LMAO, you must live in the city.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

The highest gun incidents are typically in states with the strictest gun laws. Knowing that citizens can and will carry tends to deter criminals who typically do not obtain their guns legally.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "Guns don't kill people guns kill dinner"

:laugh:

Especially out here in the woods, and it's hunting season =)

OP, do tell us what you chose, I am interested and there are some great looking ideas here. That shirt is kinda cool, but I agree with the poster who noted sweat affecting the firearm.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    "Guns don't kill people guns kill dinner"

:laugh:

Especially out here in the woods, and it's hunting season =)

OP, do tell us what you chose, I am interested and there are some great looking ideas here. That shirt is kinda cool, but I agree with the poster who noted sweat affecting the firearm.

I thought you were going to write "Guns don't kill people, no way. I kill people. With guns." Ohhh, Jon Lajoie; my hero.

http://youtu.be/xC03hmS1Brk
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

First we have a nifty little document called the constitution and secondly they have done such a fine job of banning drugs I am sure that the criminals would just say "o darn guns are now illegle I guess I better not have one" c'mon get real laws do not stop criminals. Take a look a Chicago it is one of the most violent cities in the world and it has the most strict gun laws in America conversely Texas has an extremely low crime and some of the most liberal gun laws. My gun has never climbed off from Mg night stand or out of my holster on its own and it never will.
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options

^^ This ! ! ^^

I've been walking/jogging a LOT lately, and I've used this one. Very comfortable, no problems - except for the slight bit of extra weight on my bladder - but I usually take care of that before I start... LOL ...
  • TheRealMrsMetro
    TheRealMrsMetro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with her. Can you find a gym with flexible hours to go to instead of having to carry a gun while you work out? I feel for you that you have to think about this much less run while carrying a gun rather than enjoying the beautiful weather or the nature around you. Maybe you can find a friend who will run with you as there is safety in numbers. Good luck to you and may your guardian angels watch over you as you run or work out.
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I carry pretty much all the time, except when I'm working out or sleeping. If I did feel the need to run armed, I would probably carry my BUG (backup gun) - a Ruger LCP .380. It's small and light. I would secure it in a small fanny pack. To me it would be more trouble than it is worth. I am usually drenched with sweat by the time I finish running. There is really no good way to keep sweat and moisture from getting on the weapon. I would have to clean and lubricate it after each run to keep it from rusting. No thanks - I'm a little too busy for that. To be honest, I really doubt I would be able to shoot well with my sweaty hands, my heart rate up from running hard and the surge of adrenalin from confronting an attacker. If I lived out in the country where dangerous wildlife was an issue or in a high crime area, I would suck it up and carry a larger weapon and service it afterwards each time. I'm glad I'm not in that situation. The bottom line is: Do what you have to do to stay safe and don't let anyone else's fears or prejudices stop you.
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    My LC9 is my running partner. I carry concealed under my left arm (clip holster to side of sports bra). I prefer the cross draw and it is usually out of the way as my arms are slightly raised when running. There are some belly band type holsters that also work well. Gotta do what works for you. All hail the 2nd Amendment! :))