Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wear a hockey mask and run with a machete… you should be alright.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I all of a sudden feel really good about my neighborhood.

Same here. If I felt I had to carry a weapon just to exercise, my first concern would be to GTFO of that area.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My husband would like for me to carry when I walk, especially when I dont take one of our dogs. I havent quite figured out how I would carry though. It would have to be a smaller piece, something like a Sig P220 (that model may not be correct, I cannot look on my work computer and my phone screen is tiny). Something small that could be carried in a pocket. A .38 could be carried in your pocket (at least the one we have) but not my full .40 cal.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Run with brass knuckles. They serve as dual purpose, hand weights and weapons.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Most of your pocket pistol .380's will fit just about anywhere. You can pick up a decent pocket holster and they weigh as much as keys or a wallet, so you can run with them.

If you want something bigger or don't want to put it in your pocket, then a thin fanny pack will work. You may think you look like a dork, but the fanny pack is handy for holding all your stuff, including a gun.

If you're running in a jogging suit or sweats, then a good ankle holster isn't a bad idea, not as good as having your weapon somewhere higher on your body, but it's still an option.
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    My husband would like for me to carry when I walk, especially when I dont take one of our dogs. I havent quite figured out how I would carry though. It would have to be a smaller piece, something like a Sig P220 (that model may not be correct, I cannot look on my work computer and my phone screen is tiny). Something small that could be carried in a pocket. A .38 could be carried in your pocket (at least the one we have) but not my full .40 cal.

The Sig P238 is the .380 that's rather small, and one of the pistols my wife has. That one can easily be carried in the pocket, but a little heavier than say the Ruger LCP or Tarus P738. The Sig P220 is quite a bit bigger. The Sig P290 is a small 9mm version that can be considered a pocket pistol.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    For the Canadians and Europeans who cannot fathom running with a gun...

I live in the country. My neighbor is 1.5 miles away. I have seen alligator on the road, had dogs attacked by bobcats, and cattle dragged off by black bear. I have a 4 year old that sometimes runs with me. What would you suggest I carry? A knife? A taser? I don't want to give these things the opportunity to get that close.

Don't judge.

Pepper spray? A baton/large stick? I think guns and knives may be a little excessive, especially if you're running with your daughter.

None of those would stop a bear. Probably wouldn't deter a bobcat either. I lived in the country as well. Learned how to shoot when I was 6 years old. Trust me, you'd be much safer with a gun, as long as you know how to use it.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not judging. Just it's illegal in the UK to carry a weapon. We may speak ( sort of) the same language but it's posts like this that make me realise how different our lives can be.

It's just the idea that even "normal" people are literally running around with guns and knives quite happily, makes me wonder how the crazies are.

I rarely even see an armed policeman here, unless for a SUPER high security risk. I live in Central London.

It's just unfathomable.

Above anything else, I see so many people who are terrible drivers despite the fact they drive almost daily and then think they're better than 90% of other drivers. I dread to think how these people would react to being allowed to carry weapons that they wouldn't use as regularly. How often would it be misused? misfired? badly maintained? Badly aimed?

No wonder all the horror films have to upgrade to loonies with chainsaws when knives & guns are every day
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options

The Sig P238 is the .380 that's rather small, and one of the pistols my wife has. That one can easily be carried in the pocket, but a little heavier than say the Ruger LCP or Tarus P738. The Sig P220 is quite a bit bigger. The Sig P290 is a small 9mm version that can be considered a pocket pistol.

Thats right. I couldnt remember the model number. Thanks.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Just run scared/faster and improve your cardio. Problem solved.
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    Not judging. Just it's illegal in the UK to carry a weapon. We may speak ( sort of) the same language but it's posts like this that make me realise how different our lives can be.

It's just the idea that even "normal" people are literally running around with guns and knives quite happily, makes me wonder how the crazies are.

I rarely even see an armed policeman here, unless for a SUPER high security risk. I live in Central London.

It's just unfathomable.

Above anything else, I see so many people who are terrible drivers despite the fact they drive almost daily and then think they're better than 90% of other drivers. I dread to think how these people would react to being allowed to carry weapons that they wouldn't use as regularly. How often would it be misused? misfired? badly maintained? Badly aimed?

No wonder all the horror films have to upgrade to loonies with chainsaws when knives & guns are every day

You're right. The London Riots last year where way over stated and were just a bunch of angry protesters holding signs in the streets and giving up on afternoon tea in protest. Right?

Looks like London is a peaceful happy place made up of Rainbows and Unicorns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_riots_in_London
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    I am all for law abiding citizens carrying a gun. I am looking into doing the same for my runs. I live in the country and it really makes me vulnerable to go out running with no houses nearby. And for most of us who have a running routine, we tend to go out at predictable times which makes us an even bigger target.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm all for guns and exercising my rights under the 2nd Amendment, but if I truly felt the need to carry one while jogging, I would either go to a different area or get a Billy Banks workout tape.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I all of a sudden feel really good about my neighborhood.

Same here. If I felt I had to carry a weapon just to exercise, my first concern would be to GTFO of that area.

^This. I feel scared just with the thought of having to run around my neighbourhood with a gun.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend for this to be a political discussion. Was really seeking advice. Thanks for the suggestions all.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

It's just unfathomable.

You're right. The London Riots last year where way over stated and were just a bunch of angry protesters holding signs in the streets and giving up on afternoon tea in protest. Right?

Looks like London is a peaceful happy place made up of Rainbows and Unicorns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_riots_in_London

Imagine the London riots plus guns - you think it would have been BETTER?

The idea of normal people going running with guns strapped to them is absolutely mind-boggling and terrifying to me, and reminds me that for all our similarities, the UK and America are very different places.

If I was running in a rough area I might take a rape alarm I guess.
  • mojosister
    mojosister Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada. That stuff doesn't happen here. I'd be more worried about being run down by someone talking on their cell phone.

Amen!
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog; he's a total sweetheart and only weighs about 30 lbs but having him with me tends to dissuade strangers from approaching. If he can't come, I carry a knife, either clipped on or in my palm.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's important to remember that any time you brandish a weapon, you are giving someone who is a lot meaner, nastier, and has less to lose than you, an opportunity to take your weapon away.

That's one reason it's a terrible idea to use a knife for self protection.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I carry a stun gun at the gym. Strapped to my iPod. I dare you to ask for my number bro!