Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I'm happy to be Canadian.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some mace on your keychain?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada. That stuff doesn't happen here. I'd be more worried about being run down by someone talking on their cell phone.
    Maybe not in Cambridge, but it happen last year in St. Catharines. If I knew I was running/cycling in a questionable area, I would do it. Unfortunately in Canada, you don't even have the option.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing bad ever happens to people in Europe and Canada. Nothing. Ever.
    Well of course bad things happen to people in Europe and Canada. Bad things happen everywhere, but I have never, ever heard of anyone carrying a weapon whilst they were jogging - that's insane. The cops over here don't even carry guns so why should I if I'm out jogging?

Well the cops here are carrying guns because of the war that's going on. We will have a lot less violence in America once the government gives peace a chance and stops declaring war on her own people.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    wow. I don't have or carry weapons period. I don't even think about it. If I were in a rough neighbourhood I'd probably just go somewhere else to run.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I'm happy to be Canadian.
    You're living under a rock (like every other liberal in this country) if you don't think it happens in Canada. Do some research.
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend for this to be a political discussion. Was really seeking advice. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Everything turns into a political discussion on these boards. Hope you got your answer.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Personally I would rather move if I were you, but I know that is not always possible.

I carry, always when I'm out and about when I'm alone and where I can legally do so (following ALL LAWS).

I found a neoprene holster that Velcro's to my waist quite securely and wear a long baggy shirt, and I always have a simple cell phone with me. I found the holster years ago so I can't remember where I got it online. The main problem is with sweat and making the metal rust so I have to keep a nice coating of gun oil on it and wipe it down good after my run. I also have learned to wrap it in a hand towel to both keep the gun dry from my sweat but to protect the grip from being worn down from the Velcro.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I didn't intend for this to be a political discussion. Was really seeking advice. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Yes, unfortunately, people can't ignore these types of threads. It *is* the Internetz :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Navotc
    Options
    Dear God, running with knives and guns?!?!? What?!?

^^^
    This! I also live in Minnesota. I am not ignorant that crime exists, and I'm not going to say this person isn't legally entitled to carry a weapon, but unless I'm running at 1:00am underneath highway bridges in South Minneapolis, I fail to see carrying a weapon as necessary.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Oops, I plaxidentally shot myself while on a run.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Maybe try some mace on your keychain?

Mace actually scares the crap out of me. :laugh:
  • HeidiSnow
    HeidiSnow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Reztib,

This is what my husband was looking at the other day: http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781. Not sure if he ordered it, but it would be nicer for him to use than a fanny pack when he's on a bicycle.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Not judging. Just it's illegal in the UK to carry a weapon. We may speak ( sort of) the same language but it's posts like this that make me realise how different our lives can be.

It's just the idea that even "normal" people are literally running around with guns and knives quite happily, makes me wonder how the crazies are.

I rarely even see an armed policeman here, unless for a SUPER high security risk. I live in Central London.

It's just unfathomable.

Above anything else, I see so many people who are terrible drivers despite the fact they drive almost daily and then think they're better than 90% of other drivers. I dread to think how these people would react to being allowed to carry weapons that they wouldn't use as regularly. How often would it be misused? misfired? badly maintained? Badly aimed?

No wonder all the horror films have to upgrade to loonies with chainsaws when knives & guns are every day

You're right. The London Riots last year where way over stated and were just a bunch of angry protesters holding signs in the streets and giving up on afternoon tea in protest. Right?

Looks like London is a peaceful happy place made up of Rainbows and Unicorns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_riots_in_London

Imagine the London riots plus guns - you think it would have been BETTER?

The idea of normal people going running with guns strapped to them is absolutely mind-boggling and terrifying to me, and reminds me that for all our similarities, the UK and America are very different places.

If I was running in a rough area I might take a rape alarm I guess.

Actually, it might have been a lot better of people thought they might get shot for acting stupid.

Here's the thing, the bad guys here have guns, so it's only smart if the good guys here have guns as well to protect themselves and others.

The idea that you can't own a gun or that your cops don't carry guns blows my mind, so I guess we're even.

As as far as " normal people going running with guns strapped to them is absolutely mind-boggling and terrifying " to be honest, you wouldn't even know 99.9% of the time unless the person carrying told you. That's why we conceal carry. If you see my gun, it's going to be a bad day for someone.
  • JLand918
    Options
    I am not much of a runner but if I had to carry my gun to run I better be fast to get away but I would open carry...armed people are less likely to be attacked if they can see your armed. Criminals like victims not a fight. Make sure you also challenge them if confronted what I mean is dont just panic pull out the gun and shoot then you end up with possible criminal charges, sad but true. But before you shoot, get loud and give commands "GET ON THE FU**ING GROUND, DONT MOVE OR ILL PUT A HOLE IN YOU!" most of them will not move and possibly **** their pants.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Carrying a weapon or using one are both serious topics. Most people who carry anything will either injure themselves or have their weapon turned on them. There are few people who are actually trained to use them. Also, just because you have a weapon, doesn't mean you will have time to access it or use it.

I AM the victim of a brutal vicious attack. I had a lot of the same views as most people who have commented on here already. I assure you- YOUR VIEWS WILL CHANGE WHEN/IF THEY DAY COMES AND YOU ARE ATTACKED (and live to learn from it).

My advice- if you are going to carry any weapon 1)Learn how to use it (correctly) 2) Carry as if you are ready to use it

The Most Important Advice I have or will ever give is this: BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES. GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING ALWAYS (no matter how dumb it may seem or look). NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION THAT YOU KNOW CAN/WILL/COULD/WOULD/SHOULD GO WRONG.

Good Luck!
  • HeidiSnow
    HeidiSnow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PS Thanks for posting the question. I was curious about what other people do for safety and now I have some ideas!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I run with a kubaton that can easily take down a person when it is shoved right into their sternum, cracking it, eyes, face, stomach, any pressure points. I also have my conceal carry license, but since I have no conceal carry pistol, I want one, I don't carry. I do however carry mace, easily accessible on my bike, because of dogs. Where I'm from, you must have a license to carry mace.

If I were to carry concealed, I would want a tight fitting fanny pack, at the front that I could easily get into, like velcro shut or something... dunno, never even considered going on a run armed, since the concealed I"m looking at is 16 oz and seems too heavy to drag along on a run. :)