How do you squeeze in time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i also need to squeeze it in. have joined several committees at churhc which are keeping me pretty tapped out but with all we ahve coming up i need to get over my depressino and start excersising so i can stand onmy feet the end of the month when we have our first ladies retreat and begining of October when we have revival and when we ahve revival we have dinner on the grounds and well hospitality committee will be first to arrive at pot luck and last to be able to eat with alot of standing in between so i have very little time to kick myself into gear
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think we all have been in this boat at one point or another or deal with it all of the time. As most have said, I made it work. for example, an activity I did after I got home from work I now wake up early and do it then. Some other tasks that I would usually spread out over the week I now cram into a short time period during a weekend day. If you really want to exercise, you'll make the time. And once you get exercising, you'll hopefully love it and it won't seem like an addition to your busy schedule, but rather an escape from it. Good luck!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I love this quote, "someone busier than you is making time for exercise."

And something I tell my mom, if she's so strapped for time, stressed, why does she keep taking on tasks, responsibilities? It's okay to say no sometimes. Gotta take care of you before you can take care of others.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do things like come home from work, make supper for family, get running gear on, have hubby drive our son to his soccer game, where am I ???? running DOWN to the soccer game... I can eat when I get home...

I didn't have time to make supper, eat, digest, run and then go to the game..... but I had a 1hr window between cooking and the game...so I ran to it... came home and ate at 8pm and showered.....

Thats how you get it done !
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't squeeze in a workout - I squeeze everything else around my exercise time, especially swimming.

I've tried getting up early in the morning - I'll have all the good intentions in the world and it works for a day or 2, maybe even a week, but I just like to sleep in the mornings. If I have to set an alarm, it's too early! My preference, and my priorities, I know.

And I also don't like working out over lunch and then having to go back to work. I work at a small college and I don't want to workout ou tamong all the college athletes and spandex-covered pretty-girls. I sweat a LOT, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable going back to work all sweaty, even if I did shower after the workout. Again - I know that it's my preference, and my priorities.

So I exercise after work. But I know that it's an easier decision for me since I live alone and don't have a significant other or kids to worry about!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Lunch time at work thats when I get my runs in also I take stairs all the time my work area is on 2nd floor I will climb 6 flights then back down to my area every time thats about dozen times a day up and down the stairs.
  • mnlght535
    Options
    I go to the gym at 4:30 AM. Afternoons are jammed packed with kid's activities. I do it for me and for them. They need me to be healthy to be the best mommy I can be. That motivates me. No excuses here.

I see your ticker says you want to lose 100 pounds. You need to make time for exercise if you really want to lose 100 pounds and keep it off.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You look amazing :smile:
  • Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Planning your exercise should be an intentional act. Those you intentionally plan are most often successful, whether that be in business or life in general. By planning your exercise schedule, you become accountable to making healthy choices. Block out time on your schedule to exercise. Set short and long term goals.

I used to feel the same way - that I never had time or I felt guilty if I didn't spend time with my son after working all day. By the time I put him to bed, I was exhausted and the last thing I wanted to do was exercise. Then, I said to myself enough! I planned a schedule. Now I get up 1 1/2 earlier, go downstairs and workout. I have no distractions - it's just me time. It's made all the difference in the world and I can't imagine ever not doing it now. You'll feel the same way once you schedule your routine. It's so worth it! Tell yourself you can!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think it of as an appointment that I can't miss. In fact, when I am rushing out the door after work and people ask me what my hurry is, I tell them "I have an appointment with a treadmill!"
  • jlobraun
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:30am

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only person who does this! I am naturally a morning person, so even though being up out of bed at 4:45am is REALLY early, I definitely have more energy in the morning hours than in the evening. Plus I love being able to take a shower right afterwards and know that I've done my workout for the day and don't have to worry about when I'll fit it in later. I bought a used treadmill and it was the best $300 that I ever spent! I love having it right in my living room and so easily accessible. I rent a tiny one bedroom house and it is even more cramped than before, but it is so worth it. I think we have to get to the point where we are so uncomfortable in our present state that we are willing to make some changes in our lives in order to make changes in ourselves. But YOU have to get to that place of not giving anymore excuses. You have to do it for yourself, no matter what!
  • KarenNancy
    KarenNancy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sadly wake up at 630am ( I say sadly because I despise mornings more than anyone I've ever met) but oh we'll being a stay at home mom there is no other time I can and u get to revved up from a workout to do it at night
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Quote:

"I really regret that workout" - no one ever

The only workouts I regret are the ones I miss
  • bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Options
    I hear that dilemma!

I turned my daily commute to work into a bike ride (take same amount of time, maybe a few minutes less now) & lost 100lbs doing it.

Pick your poison & don't let anything stop you!

Thats awesome!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

thanks so much! didn't complete my battle quite yet tho, now it's about mixing it up (-;
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to carve out enough time to really exercise. How do you all do it?

BTW, not much I can give up at the moment to accommodate for exercise. I am tapped out.

Didn't read much of the thread but this topic is posted so often that I can basically assume what's being said.

It really comes down to how much you really want to exercise and work on yourself physically. There's always time, there's always something you can give up, and/or there's always time to wake-up a little earlier and exercise before your day starts. Get a notebook, jot down your day, and really HONESTLY think about where you can find time if you want to exercise bad enough. If you WANT it bad enough, you'll find the time. If you're only partially vested in finding time, you won't. It's all a matter of priorities. At one time I was married with two little kids, a full-time job working 50+ hours a week, and a full-time college student and I found time without neglecting anything else. Time is there. :)
  • tlavergne35
    tlavergne35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I"m in the same rut - 4 kids and I would love to get up early and walk however it's still dark outside at 6:45 am. When I get home from an 8 hr job, pick kids up cook supper, get homework done and baths and kids to bed - there is just no time to workout. Yes I get a lunch break that is taken at my desk as I am a receptionist for a small company that I do not get to go walk at lunch. Guess I will try to figure out how to get this exercise in because I know it would help in losing weight. Where there's a WILL there's a WAY....somewhere.
  • lisamalm
    lisamalm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For one year I was a stay at home mum AND worked 50 percent. I put on my training clothes in the morning (skipped the shower) , put a lose dress on top of it. When the baby napped I put on a DVD and worked out for app 50 minutes. Since I look so much better since I started exercising I use less time on make-up and keep my hair in a simple pony tail.

Other ideas are to run or cycle to work or from work, or at least part of the way. Get a stationary bike and be on it while you are on the phone or watch TV. Even if you are pressed for time you can always squeeze in a short routine in the morning and one at night. Every minute helps! Best of luck!:smile:
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    The best thing I can suggest is wake up earlier. Atleast 30 minutes. Find the workout that works best for you and keeps you motivated! For me it's ChaLEAN Extreme. I wake up at 5am every morning, I watch before and after videos or an episode of the biggest lose ;) and then I'm ready to pop in one of my ChaLEAN Extreme DVDs and go to town! It REALLY helps the rest of my day. My job is so mentally draining, and my workout helps me get through the day!
  • tatev94
    Options
    I agree with what so many have already said - get up earlier. For the past 5 years, I have woken up at 5:30/5:45am every weekday to work out. It takes a few months to get used to doing it, but once you do, it becomes automatic - I don't even debate with myself, I just get up because I tell myself I have to (just like I HAVE to go to work, I HAVE to get my kid up & ready, I HAVE to eat, etc.) 30 minutes less sleep isn't going to kill me, and it makes a huge difference in how I feel each day. Also helps that I shower right afterward so I'm good to go for the day (saves time to not have to shower, then go to work, then work out, then shower again...)

Also, I multitask - I do 45 minutes on the elliptical, so I catch up on the TV shows I've DVR'd. A 1 hour show is about 43 minutes if you FF the commercials - perfect!
  • tatev94
    Options
    I"m in the same rut - 4 kids and I would love to get up early and walk however it's still dark outside at 6:45 am. When I get home from an 8 hr job, pick kids up cook supper, get homework done and baths and kids to bed - there is just no time to workout. Yes I get a lunch break that is taken at my desk as I am a receptionist for a small company that I do not get to go walk at lunch. Guess I will try to figure out how to get this exercise in because I know it would help in losing weight. Where there's a WILL there's a WAY....somewhere.

Out of curiosity, why is the fact that it's dark outside in the morning preventing you from exercising? If it's a safety issue, you could always do an aerobic/cardio video like Walk Away the Pounds. Just a thought from a fellow working mom. :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Join a gym and stop making excuses, if you want to do it bad enough you will find a way.