Would you discipline someone else's child?

Options

Replies

• amsohs85
    Options
    If the child is put in danger by their behaviour or they are inflicting harm to my child, yes i will say something and have more then once. This kind of thing usually happens in situations where the parents arent paying attention at playgrounds, indoor play areas and group gatherings. I've even spoke up when i saw a child hit or push another child that wasnt mine. When i was growing up i had alot of aunts and family friends who watched over us and if they corrected you it was expected you would listen. Also you knew if an adult in your neighborhood saw you doing something wrong they would likely say something to you or go tell your parents. Now adays people will tell their kids they dont have to listen to adults...even teachers and authority figures. Wonder why there's a problem with acting out. You should never yell at or threaten anyones child...nor should you put your hands on them. This is unacceptable....if the situation is that out of hand then call the authorities and let social services deal with it.

In the situation mentioned by the OP i recommend practicing some patience and tolerance. As someone else mentioned you dont know the childs abilitys or what the adult has to deal with. Move to another seat if it bothers you that much. Too be honest ive witnessed adults act worse then kids and thats annoying too. We tend to forget that public places are just that PUBLIC and the world isnt always going to be just how we want it.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As the parent of an autistic child, I have been on both ends of this scenario. I would never assume that a child's behavior is the result of poor parenting, nor would I feel the need to voice my opinion on the matter.

But I agree with Patti's point that sometimes children need to be guided or redirected away from dangerous behavior. That is a whole different thing. If for some reason I was not around and my daughter (or my son) was engaging in behavior that could be dangerous, I would not be at all upset if someone tried to redirect their behavior.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    As the parent of an autistic child, I have been on both ends of this scenario. I would never assume that a child's behavior is the result of poor parenting, nor would I feel the need to voice my opinion on the matter.

But I agree with Patti's point that sometimes children need to be guided or redirected away from dangerous behavior. That is a whole different thing. If for some reason I was not around and my daughter (or my son) was engaging in behavior that could be dangerous, I would not be at all upset if someone tried to redirect their behavior.

I agree actually
  • Elisabeth2506
    Options
    I went on a school trip, when I was about six or seven, to an aquarium where little sharks were in an open top tank with some rays. My friend and I were leaning over to touch the rays, when I was grabbed by the back of my collar. As I fell back, I noticed a large splash where I'd been standing - if this random lady hadn't pulled me back one of those little sharks would have had my nose off.

I can't think where the teachers were at that point, or why we hadn't been warned to be careful. Fair enough, at six or seven I still should have had more common sense than to get myself in that situation, but if it wasn't for that lady intervening in the discipline the teachers were meant to be dishing out I could have been really hurt.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think you have to feel out the situation. I've had occasions before when the child would look at me and I've said to the child "You should really listen to .... it's nice when you listen to people when they ask you to do something." But I'm never chastising. And I would never engage a child if the parent was attempting to discipline or any other like scenario.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I used to do it for a living so it's second nature now.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the past. But it depends on the situation.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Some kids just won't listen. My nephew for example. Everytime we scolded him he got louder and this was in public. SIGH Kids now a days. I did spank him a few times, but felt bad cuz he wasn't my child, but if I'm alone with him he will not act that way with me.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The reason I said that was because I wanted him to put himself in the bird's place. Empathy is important when teaching children how to treat other living things. I didn't say it snotty, and I may have said, "How would it make you feel," or something along those lines. It was a while ago and I don't remember my exact word choice.

I understand what you were trying to get him to think. Just speaking for my son, he wouldn't understand the question. I just meant that I would have done what you did, I just wouldn't have said that part because of my own experience with children, especially ones with autism. I didn't mean any criticism.

This reminded me of a therapy session we were having with my son when he was in 3rd grade. The therapist showed him flash cards asking him to say how he would feel if he were the person in the picture. The first one was of a man who appeared frightened. His eyes were big, there was a shadow behind him, and he had a look of terror on his face. David's reply: "I would feel like- WHY ARE MY EYES SO BIG", as he made the same facial expression as the man.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I was going to type a big long speech and get everyone in a hissy-fit about everything... but instead I give you Russell Peters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbc_v1xBAU

Enjoy.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Another perspective: I look at it as saying the same things to a kid I'd say to a stranger adult who was unacceptably intruding. But kid-appropriate. And in the case of obnoxious-in-the-waiting-room, I'd probably not say anything but if the kid were getting rowdy enough close to me or other people, I'd probably say, "Hey, watch out there!" As someone else said something similar. What gets to me is the stigma of "discipline" and parents getting angry at other adults who say something - while it's one thing to interfere with parenting, it's another thing to just respond normally as you would to any person who was, say, kicking all of your trousers off the rack in your store department. There is nothing ugly or judgmental about it. I actually find it harder to see nasty parents slapping small children in the face in public, which I've only seen about twice and too fleetingly to be able to do something about it.
  • brettjcohen
    brettjcohen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Last year I was watching my kids on the playground when a Mother I knew asked me to watch her kids for a few minutes. I made the mistake of saying yes since I knew her kids were very badly behaved in general. Her older son (4th grader) was playing near me and my younger daughter (2nd grade) when he took a whole piece of notebook paper and balled it up and put it in his mouth. He took it out all covered with spit and acted like he was going to throw it at me. I told him not to and he said "What are you going to do if I do?"
    Now I suppose this was wrong but I told him I'd spank him if he did. He proceeded to go right ahead and hit me with it. Well - there is no way on earth I'm not doing what I said. I spanked him once (honestly about 1/100th as hard as I'd liked to - he didn't cry) and I made him sit by me on the bench while the other kids played for 10 minutes (which seemed to bother him more than the spanking).
    I wasn't sure if we should just have that as something between me and the kid but it bothered me so much that I called him Mom that night and explained what happened. She said we shouldn't discipline each other's children and I agreed. Since then I don't think she speaks to me anymore. In a way I don't much care because I don't like my kids hanging around with her kids but I still feel very emotional about the situation.
    I think if I made one mistake it was agreeing to watch kids I know have discipline problems.
    If I made two mistakes if was threatening something I didn't really want to have to follow through on.
    As a side note the bratty kid has never messed with me again and usually behaves himself around me.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    We were at this Drum Circle once, where this supposedly peaceful hippie chick started screaming at this boy for licking her drum. The mother of this boy got up and started to explain that her son was severely autistic but was rudely interrupted by the "hippie" woman's swears. The poor mom slinked away got her other kids into the car and left.

My husband and I have never gone back to that group. Lack of compassion can be so stunning to me at times. I think of that Mom and how badly she probably needed to be out of the house.

My point. Think before you speak. Sometimes we just don't know what is going on with someone.

Rather than disciplining someone's kid how about distracting them.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    In a situation where MY child is being endangered, oh, yeah, buddy, mama bear is making an appearance, and, trust me, it won't be pretty.

In a situation where said child is being endangered, yes, I would probably intervene. Discipline? Probably not.

In a situation at MY house, yeah... but I still don't know about the word discipline... Every child that enters my home knows my expectations... even if it means sitting them down and telling them from the get go... then, problems are usually not had.

In my classroom, yes, I discipline other people's children all day long. But I consider them my kids, too.

In Sunday school and children's church, I talk to the the kids... and if all else fails, I take them to mama and daddy. (That's only happened a couple of times, though, and I've been in children's ministry for a long time... and, yeah, my church kids are mine, too. LOL)

being a scout leader for 5 years now, and dealing with tired young kids after a long day at school, THIS!

I probably would've gotten his attention and asked him if the way he is acting is really ok, and since his grandmother asked him to stop, he better stop, because he is making her upset.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Last year I was watching my kids on the playground when a Mother I knew asked me to watch her kids for a few minutes. I made the mistake of saying yes since I knew her kids were very badly behaved in general. Her older son (4th grader) was playing near me and my younger daughter (2nd grade) when he took a whole piece of notebook paper and balled it up and put it in his mouth. He took it out all covered with spit and acted like he was going to throw it at me. I told him not to and he said "What are you going to do if I do?"
    Now I suppose this was wrong but I told him I'd spank him if he did. He proceeded to go right ahead and hit me with it. Well - there is no way on earth I'm not doing what I said. I spanked him once (honestly about 1/100th as hard as I'd liked to - he didn't cry) and I made him sit by me on the bench while the other kids played for 10 minutes (which seemed to bother him more than the spanking).
    I wasn't sure if we should just have that as something between me and the kid but it bothered me so much that I called him Mom that night and explained what happened. She said we shouldn't discipline each other's children and I agreed. Since then I don't think she speaks to me anymore. In a way I don't much care because I don't like my kids hanging around with her kids but I still feel very emotional about the situation.
    I think if I made one mistake it was agreeing to watch kids I know have discipline problems.
    If I made two mistakes if was threatening something I didn't really want to have to follow through on.
    As a side note the bratty kid has never messed with me again and usually behaves himself around me.

Hold on... spanking works? Someone alert the media!!!

I think you did the right thing... obviously that kid needed a little discipline in his life and he got (less than) what he deserved...

edit: BTW, if you ask someone to watch your kids, you should understand that you are putting that person in charge of your child and whatever disciplinary action may be necessary. If you don't want your kid spanked ya probably shouldn't leave them with other people...
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Unless the child was doing something that directly affected me or hurting an animal, no, I wouldn't discipline them - it's not my place. It would just reinforce my decision not to breed.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I do all the time...her parents just turned 50, but she is someone else's child.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    been there done that. when i was younger i wouldn't have said anything. nowadays, i have no problem telling kids in a stern but polite way to shut up if there parents aren't doing the job-- especially, if the kids are bouncing all over the place and could hurt someone.
    I AGREE!!!!
    I have 5 kids and most of the time all together out in public and never did my kids act that way. They knew better.
    Ususally I say something like , Geesh someone should beat that kid. LOL Loud enough for the parents to hear. And I make certain I am looking directly at them so there is no mistake what kids I'm talking about.
    (and just for the record before someone says something, No I have never beat my kids... I just say it as an attention getter)
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As a child, none of us would have dared. For small children, I am inclined to say something rude to the parent because I think the parents are failing.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd say something and I do when in that situation. I'm a teacher so I'm used to disciplining other people's kids. It does embarrass mine when I do it though. Part of the fun of being a parent : )