Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options

Replies

• thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    I thought I saw this forum before, but then couldn't find it.
    Sometimes yah just want to chat with dudes.:wink::drinker:
    I've been on here for a while, some of you I have seen partially chatted with.

I've done some P90, before coming on here, and then some C25k. Got into a car accident nothing major, but slowed my progress, then started some P90x and believe I did some injury slowed progress again. Then the holidays came, and gained back 4 lbs. Feb 1st I started on my Wii EA active 1 hour, and next week going to get back into the P90x

Casper,I've read alot of your messages, and have seen your progress. I respect alot of your comments, but, ummm, you crazy? :laugh: That thing looks... crazy, weird, interesting, cool, but overall crazy.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    We'll see,,, new toy should be here in a week or so. Hehehe,,,

I'm scheduled to teach 18 motorcycle classes this summer, hope I don't get hurt too bad! :laugh:

This is gonna be fun. Actually I've tried one before and had some success, and I'm a lot lighter and more fit now. I was one of the earlier skateboard kids (back in the '70's :laugh: ), I'm in great health and great shape and I tend to "fall lucky".... I also have a bit of protective gear. I'll keep you guys posted.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump,,, where'd you boneheads go?

So - whaddaya think? I'm a moderately active 42 year old, reasonably fit, somewhat athletic. I just bought a Ripstik casterboard/skateboard thingie on Ebay. Am I about to seriously maim or kill myself? :frown:

Lookie here - this don't look that hard!: http://www.ripstik.com/how-to-ride/

My wife encouraged me to try it, but I'm very well insured, and that worries me.

Casper,

I confess to being a "lurking lady"--just had to say possibly the reason no one posted for days was they were trying to catch their breath, due to the comment of the poster above your message..:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As for that Ripstik thingy, I looked at the video on the link you provided. It has a "nose" and a "tail"--good thing as it gives you a choice of what you can fall on!!:bigsmile: I do hope a helmet is part of the protective gear you mentioned later in the thread. Be sure to tell your wife what your preferences are for flowers, eulogy, etc.

Seriously, I wish you well, in your attempt to use it. I was a mean skateboarder about 45 years ago, but this is W-A-A-A-Y beyond that. Good luck!!!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump,,, where'd you boneheads go?

So - whaddaya think? I'm a moderately active 42 year old, reasonably fit, somewhat athletic. I just bought a Ripstik casterboard/skateboard thingie on Ebay. Am I about to seriously maim or kill myself? :frown:

Lookie here - this don't look that hard!: http://www.ripstik.com/how-to-ride/

My wife encouraged me to try it, but I'm very well insured, and that worries me.

MAN THIS LOOKS SOOOO COOL!!!

I wonder what my CO would say if I showed up to work on a ripstick...the rule on base says that "skate board" are forbidden on base, they don't say anything about ripsticks lol!!!!

Good luck with that Casper! keep us posted!
  • CasperO
    Options
    Oh yeah, the question is not "Helmet or no helmet?", the question is "Which helmet?" I have 5,,, (I really value me gourd).

Bicycle helmet.
    Fair quality modular ("flip-up") DOT approved motorcycle helmet
    Fair quality half shell DOT approved motorcycle helmet - for hothothot days.
    Fair quality 3/4 shell DOT approved motorcycle helmet - a little big on me, easy on&off, I use that one when teaching.
    Premium quality 3/4 shell Shoei DOT & Snell approved motorcycle helmet - my favorite.

Hmmmmm...
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    From what I was told when looking for a helmet for my 6yo stuntman (or stuntboy?)...if used for skating/skateboarding, you want something that cover's the back of the head (like a hockey helmet...). I got a cool one of that type that I use for mountain bike that has built in earphones for my i-pod!!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    BTW....

It's fine that we're not skinny...chubby people are harder to kidnap
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options

Casper,

I confess to being a "lurking lady"--just had to say possibly the reason no one posted for days was they were trying to catch their breath, due to the comment of the poster above your message..:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey... somebody had to say it!!!
  • mromnek
    Options
    BTW....

It's fine that we're not skinny...chubby people are harder to kidnap

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Casper,

Hey... somebody had to say it!!!

That's ok. Your original post produced giggles when one of my co-workers started talking about the chili he had for lunch, and some of those around him asked if they should choose different seating arrangements for the remainder of their shift.. Things sort of went on from there, and at the appropriate moment, I managed to work in a description of your original post, which produced much laughter. I work with a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings, so sometimes my jokes sail over their heads, but thanks to your post, we all had a good laugh.

Now, I am going back into "lurk" mode,:blushing: as I believe you guys are doing quite well without any outside (AKA female) interference. :bigsmile:

Best of luck to all in reaching your fitness goals. Keep laughing:laugh: :laugh: --it burns calories:drinker: :drinker:
  • mromnek
    Options
    Oh boy, I looked at a BMI chart. In order for me to not be obese on the chart, I have to grow over a foot in height.

Or I guess I could keep losing weight.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Don't put too much stock in BMI. I'm 14% bodyfat and still 10 lbs above the threshold of Obesity. To get to a healthy weight I have to lose another 43 pounds and get to 15 pounds my current lean body mass. In other words, get to 0% bodyfat and lose 15 pounds of muscle. Not happening.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Casper - good luck with the odd looking skateboard thing, I still rollerblade throughout the summer and it's really enjoyable. I'm sure it's less injury prone than playing a game of football or a basketball.
  • mromnek
    Options
    Don't put too much stock in BMI. I'm 14% bodyfat and still 10 lbs above the threshold of Obesity. To get to a healthy weight I have to lose another 43 pounds and get to 15 pounds my current lean body mass. In other words, get to 0% bodyfat and lose 15 pounds of muscle. Not happening.

Sad thing is that (right now, for me) the BMI isn't too far off. But, that is why I am here, to drop the %BF to a fit level, get my metabolism to a fit level, and be able to run after the grandchild I got on the way.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Big news!! As of this morning, i'm under 260 for the first time since at least 8 years!!
    Can I get a WOOT!WOOT!?
  • AFLABRAT04
    Options
    Woot! Woot!! Keep up the good work! Just found this thread. It's a nice break from the "estrogen intensive" posts elsewhere in the site! :wink:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Good job J,,, onward and onward. Woot woot indeed.

Ya Brat, this is the "He-man woman haters club". No girls allowed.

(But they are watching us, as they always do. Watching, and judging, and finding us lacking...:laugh: ).
  • thumper44
    Options
    Woot Woot to BigdaddyJ.

I know that feeling.
    Myself I just got under the Obese BMI (0.2 under) lol.

I've also just got back into 34" jeans.
    It's been 20 years I think since I wore 34" pants.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Kewl,,, them old pants are great ain't they?

I'm in 32" jeans, and still obese by 10 pounds. I will never be in the "Healthy weight" category. Just too much of a dumptruck.
  • thumper44
    Options
    Kewl,,, them old pants are great ain't they?

I'm in 32" jeans, and still obese by 10 pounds. I will never be in the "Healthy weight" category. Just too much of a dumptruck.

Unfortunately I didnt' keep any "old" pants that were 34" waist as it's been so long ago.
    Last 20 years I've wore 36 then 38, then the last year I went up to 40" and then just before joining MFP I bought two 42" pants, but never wore them, thanks to MFP. :drinker: :drinker:

I ended up giving the 42" pants to a friend of mine who's losing weight and can use them as he's losing.

I found my body fat calipers and it registered 24% fat according to skin on my stomach.
    Which means I have 45lbs of fat and another 15lbs to drop before I hit 14% (175).

I don't know how accurate those calipers are. Are you not supposed to get a measurement on different parts of the body to get a better overall BF%?