Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options

Replies

• operator
    Options
    Dude, just trying to get into a routine is a pain in the *kitten* . I try to get up in the mornings and do my p-90....but it is tough going sometimes. The room I work out in is above the garage and it is a cold room in the morning. Almost to th epoint to where I just can crawl back in bed. I am lucky though that I have a mat room in the back of my office, and 4 purple belts at Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. We all train, and i have been training almost every day. So I am trying to stay on my 2-a-days, but it is tough too. Weekends are a wash, but thank god for the snow this past weekend. 2 hours of shoveling each day was enough to burn my excess calories.

Tuesdays are easy for me because I do not have to be into work until 9:30. So I am up by 7:30, workout until 8:45-8:50, grab a little something to eat (apple or a quick bowl of cheerios), shower and I am off to work. Unforutnatley I will not be home until 8 on tuesdays, so I usually stay up later and play Madden or something until like 12. That means come 7:30 AM I am still tired. I am pretty sure tomorrow is YOGA, and I HATE P-90-X yoga.

So hang in there bro. Over the past 4 weeks I have been a self motivator. I am always gung ho for about 2 weeks, and I see very little progress on the scale and I just give up. Not this time though. I even had all my colleagues and my brother saying that I am a 2 week and out type of guy...so I have been getitng negative support from people....which just kind of motivated me even more.

You just have to combat that with your own personal self motivation.......
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    hang in there bro. Over the past 4 weeks I have been a self motivator. I am always gung ho for about 2 weeks, and I see very little progress on the scale and I just give up. Not this time though. I even had all my colleagues and my brother saying that I am a 2 week and out type of guy...so I have been getitng negative support from people....which just kind of motivated me even more.

You just have to combat that with your own personal self motivation.......

That was me too! But the big difference this time is that I dont only wanna loose weight, i'm doing a complete life change! I am still reaaly motivated after 3 weeks, as for the low evergy today, going back on my food diary I noticed that I didn't had my greens or my fruits yet big mistake!! It's really about what you eat when, not only how much you eat!!
  • nitronutah
    Options
    I'm in, as long as it's not to late.

I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon this weekend, then starting P90X on Feb 15th. Looking forward to the change.
  • operator
    Options
    Hey there Nitro.

There really isnothing to be "in" with, except for popping in and keeping this thread alive. If you need some help, or want to vent, and what-have-you, we are here. It is my understanding that this site is about 90% women, so to get youy motivation by other guys is really good to have....

Guys, as long as you motivate yourself, then you are doing good in my book. My life is great right now, and the oniy think I am not hapy about is the little bit of weight I am carrying. It is tough to be a top notch BJJ competitor when youhave a belly......

Keep it up guys.
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

We are a doing such an awesome job at motivating, supporting, and encouraging each other, that even the MFP ladies are spying (and smiling) at our greatness. Just wanted to chime in and say that this thread has really helped me out and has become something that I look really forward to. We are proving that true brotherhood is still alive. Thanks for all that you do. Keep up the good work guys. You Rock!!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    *fist bump*

Thanks for starting this thread. Ladies keep spying cause we are just gonna get hotter.

:bigsmile:
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Way to go guys, keep up the good work.

I was wondering if anyone else works the third shift. I am on steady midnights and am having trouble tracking my food. I have been tracking everything on a 24 hour basis, midnight to midnight. My food diary looks crazy but I am staying under my calories, having a hard time getting my workouts in though. Any suggestions about how I should log my food or just keep doing what I am doing
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options

I was wondering if anyone else works the third shift. I am on steady midnights and am having trouble tracking my food. I have been tracking everything on a 24 hour basis, midnight to midnight. My food diary looks crazy but I am staying under my calories, having a hard time getting my workouts in though. Any suggestions about how I should log my food or just keep doing what I am doing

i'm on 6pm to 6 am shifts and it sucks.....I switch things around, i'll have berakfast, then lunch right after (3 hours), then snack-supper-snack.....it's way easier for me to do it that way since I dont like to eat a big supper in the muddle of the night!
    I find it harder for working out, i'm usualy at my best in the after noon, but right now I need my sleep at that time so sometimes I work out at 10:00-30 (if there's no snow to be plowed), I'm lucky we have a complete gym at work but training when it's dark just ain't for me!! lol
  • operator
    Options
    Man I used to work at a place that had a small gym in the basement with showers and stuff. It was just touigh to do it alone. Even when I had someone else down there it was awkward.

So you gotta do somethign that you enjoy. I enjoy P-90-X, but I REALLY enjoy MMA. Boxing, Thai Boxing, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.....it is just fun. Yes yes...when you lose it is dissapointing, but how do you learn if you don't tap.

If you search around the boards, I typed up this long *kitten* thread about my life and what I have been through over the past 4 years. The title was like "Self Motiviation" or something like that.

Anyways, read that. it is a good example of motivating yourself to do what it takes to make you happy with you....
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My shift runs 11:42pm to 7:42 am. From there I will stop at the mall for a couple of quick laps and then home to bed. I will sleep from 9 til 3 when I need to get the kids from school. I will have a bowl of cereal before pickup and then eat dinner with the family around 6. The rest of the night is eating fruit, veggies and a bowl of oatmeal around 2 am. I try to work in the treadmill sometime between getting the kids and going to work at 11pm.

I have been on this shift for 5 years but am only on my second week of doing this shift and trying to change my life around through this site.
  • anibabaa
    Options
    U are in my prayers, all will be well. Stay strong.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    U are in my prayers, all will be well. Stay strong.

@ anibabaa

Welcome aboard. Thanks for the inspirational words.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Guys,

We having been getting some new members to this thread recently. Keep spreading the word.

**Remember** If this is working for you, it may help some other guys as well.
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    Shower with your clothes on shows your crazy.

Shower with your clothes off shows your nuts.

<---- helpful
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    OK so the women are spying on us. I have a question then. On some of these weight loss ad's they show a before and after. I personally have no problem with the lady in the before pictures. I am not perfection and dont expect perfection. I am not all the turned on by the super models. I like some curves to my woman.

Just my opinion.
    :glasses:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Man I used to work at a place that had a small gym in the basement with showers and stuff. It was just touigh to do it alone. Even when I had someone else down there it was awkward.

So you gotta do somethign that you enjoy. I enjoy P-90-X, but I REALLY enjoy MMA. Boxing, Thai Boxing, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.....it is just fun. Yes yes...when you lose it is dissapointing, but how do you learn if you don't tap.

If you search around the boards, I typed up this long *kitten* thread about my life and what I have been through over the past 4 years. The title was like "Self Motiviation" or something like that.

Anyways, read that. it is a good example of motivating yourself to do what it takes to make you happy with you....

OK, so I admit, I was "spying" guys, but I am jumping into give some additional info for anyone who actually wants to FIND operator's post. It was very good, but it was NOT titled "self- motiavation (sp)" so searching for that won't get you the right result. The title is actually "A motivational story-kinda"

Here is a link to it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/78537-a-motivational-story-kinda

BTW, since many of you have recently joined MFP, want to be sure you know, anytime you want to look at a particular person's posts, from most recent on back, all you have to do is click on the number that appears below their avatar in any post. This will work for looking at your own posts too.

Best of luck to all of you.

BTW FORKDOWN--your shower joke made me smile :wink:

Ok, I am leaving now, so you can get back to that male bonding thing guys. :bigsmile:
  • nitronutah
    Options
    Keep up the good work everyone.

151428.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mkwade7380
    Options

I know what you mean about this. I rotate shifts every week. 7a-3p, 3p-11p and 11p-7a. I have found out that I have to get really creative with my eating schedule and working out. I just log it as I go. When I am on midnights (11p-7a) I stop eating around 3 or 4 in the morning. Then my day pretty much starts when I wake up at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It is crazy, but as long as I keep logging everything it keeps me going. keep up what you are doing.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    i'm 2 weeks days, 2 weeks night 6 to6, 8hrs straight and 4 on call 7 days a week!(on call on W-E) Nights are over tomorow for another 2 weeks can't wait!
  • operator
    Options
    bump....off to do the Bas Tapes........lord oh lord...