Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options

Replies

• FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I was gonna wake up grouchy this morning..........

But decided to let her sleep in.
    :bigsmile:
  • solerstation
    Options
    Goodmorning all. I'm new to this. Not sure what to write so i'll just read topics for now. Have a great day!!
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    @ solerstation

Welcome aboard! We are glad to have you here at the Man to Man Forum. Let us know if we can doing anything to help.

Have a great day! :wink:
  • solerstation
    Options
    Right on Gr8dad, I'm in!!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    With regards to the gas caused by healthy eating. I find that on my extended workout sessions at the gym I got to let them loose. Anything improper with that? I never had to before but I think its due to my dedication and effort in exercise...
  • golfdell
    golfdell Posts: 9
    Options
    whyflysouth..

Have to say that I have been there done that and most probably will so again.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    That kind'a depends on where you are:

A real musclehead gym with big plates of iron and lot'sa mirrors? It's expected and approved and sometimes appreciated.

Your basic YMCA/Bally's/Anytime fitness? not appreciated, but what happens happens. You are lifting weights there.

Planet Fitness? They don't allow grunting or straining, so I'm pretty sure they don't allow farting. Might set off the 'lunk alarm',,, :bigsmile: Wierd,,, they give away pizza and bagels, and those starches always give me gas.
  • whyflysouth
    Options
    Well it's a Bally's but it's pretty run-down though. I wouldn't call it a classy establishment, lol. But yeah it'd be interesting to find one of those places where it's appreciated.

Hey more serious question, every guy wants to be muscular and cut and have a low body fat%. I'm skinny dude under a layer of fat, my pursuit has been to remove that fat and then get muscular without getting fat, but it's taking it's time and I appear to get muscle gains a little faster than fat losses, so should I just pursue getting the muscle mass first and focus on losing the fat later?
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Why pose it as an either/or question. Why not do both... since they are mutually compatible?
  • mromnek
    Options
    Sorry to all... my dad forwarded me another good one...

I took my dad to the mall the other day to buy some new shoes
    (he is 72). We decided to grab a bite at the food court. I noticed he
    was watching a teenager sitting next to him. The teenager had spiked
    hair in all different colors: green, red, orange, and blue.

My dad kept staring at him. The teenager would look and find
    him staring every time. When the teenager had had enough, he
    sarcastically asked, 'What's the matter old man, never done anything
    wild in your life?'

Knowing my Dad, I quickly swallowed my food so that I would not
    choke on his response, knowing he would have a good one, and in classic
    style he did not bat an eye in his response.

'Got drunk once, and had sex with a peacock. I was just
    wondering if you were my son.'
  • CasperO
    Options
    Hey more serious question, every guy wants to be muscular and cut and have a low body fat%. I'm skinny dude under a layer of fat, my pursuit has been to remove that fat and then get muscular without getting fat, but it's taking it's time and I appear to get muscle gains a little faster than fat losses, so should I just pursue getting the muscle mass first and focus on losing the fat later?
    They are not mutually compatible goals. In fact, they're almost mutually exclusive.

To gain muscle mass, you must have an excess of calories/proteins/building materials in your system. You're adding body mass, and that mass has to come from somewhere. Bodybuilders in a 'bulking cycle' eat phenomenal amounts of food - 5,ooo/6,ooo calories a day. They also lift like monsters and get lots of rest. They get bigger, huge in fact, and they get pretty fat. 3 or 4 months before a show, the Mr. Olympia contestants look like your dad's bowling team.

To lose bodyfat, you must be in calorie deficit. That means you're not eating enough to run the plant and your body has to 'burn' bodyfat to operate. That's how fat loss works, and it's the only way it works. With exercise and careful nutrition, you can maximize fat loss and conserve lean pretty well, but you're gonna lose some muscle too. Bodybuilders in a 'cutting cycle' eat very light, almost no refined carbs and very little fat. They live on lean meats, green vegetables, protein powder and vitamins. They also lift a little longer and a little lighter, and they do monster cardio to burn off cal's and bodyfat.

Anyways,,, either you're eating enough or you ain't. Very difficult to gain appreciable amounts of muscle mass while in a calorie deficit, and very very tough to lose bodyfat while in calorie surplus. A few rare genetic freaks can do it a little, very slowly. As a long time 'easy gainer', I've done it, and the progress is glacial. When I train seriously again it'll be with bulk&cut cycles.

Which to do first is up to you. What's more important to you - lean/trim or big/strong? My rule of thumb is "Cut 'til you see abs - then bulk for 15 pounds - then cut to abs again (and you'll lose 12 pounds, net muscle gain = 3 lbs).
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys

One of my friends sent this to me and asked if I could share it with you guys. So here goes..............

"A man was walking down the street when he was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked him for a couple of dollars for dinner.

The man took out his wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked, "If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

"No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the homeless man replied.

"Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?" the man asked.

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said. "I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Will you spend this on greens fees at a golf course instead of food?" the man asked.

"Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless man. "I haven't played golf in 20 years!"

"Will you spend the money on a woman in the red light district instead of food?" the man asked.

"What disease would I get for ten lousy bucks?" exclaimed the homeless man.

"Well," said the man, "I'm not going to give you the money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that? I know I'm dirty, and I probably smell pretty disgusting."

The man replied, "That's okay. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up beer, fishing, golf, and sex."
  • whyflysouth
    Options
    If I'm trying to cut in that case, should I be increasing the weight when I lift or just leave it where it stands. What's the point of weight lifting at all if in the "cut" phase of caloric deficit if there's no excess to build up the muscles?

But thanks for that Casper, now I got to determine which route I want to take, bulk then cut, or cut first. I don't like how I feel when I'm fat so I'm veering more towards cut, but man it's slow.
  • CasperO
    Options
    The body is constantly adjusting,,, adding fat when there's excess nutrition, removing fat when needed for fuel. Adding muscle as a response to stresses (needs for more muscle, because of workload/training). Even the bones are constantly adjusting as response to stress, adding or subtracting bone mass. A powerlifter's femurs are like telephone poles. This is why they recommend resistance training for women to minimize osteoporosis.

If you stop lifting/training altogether, as your body 'cannibalizes' itself for energy while in calorie deficit, it will strip some of your shiny new muscle too - hey, it's easy protein. If you keep some stress on your body with continued training it will go a long way toward minimizing loss of muscle tissue.

While cutting, most B-builders will still train to failure, but instead of 4 or 5 reps at 80% of max, they might stretch it out to 10 or 12 reps at 65% of max. And they add cardio. Lots of cardio.
  • mromnek
    Options
    They are not mutually compatible goals. In fact, they're almost mutually exclusive.

Thanks for clearing that CasperO. I guess when I think of weight loss, I think in terms of body fat reduction. I got to remember that most people refer to a number on the scale.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    So I am pushing for 250 by April 1st, 5lbs to go. I am wanting to start weightlifting more and have yet to come up with a training routine. Where is a great place to research?
  • solerstation
    Options
    Eating healthy and burning calories. I'm feeling better each day!! :)
  • whyflysouth
    Options
    So I am pushing for 250 by April 1st, 5lbs to go. I am wanting to start weightlifting more and have yet to come up with a training routine. Where is a great place to research?

CasperO's house.

J/k. Casper, when you said you'll start once you "see" your abs, what does that mean body fat %-wise? I mean we talkn' six-pack, or just those two verticle lines that separate the obliques from the core? We talkn 10-13% body fat, or 16-18%?

Forkdown, for you I've got the "Over 35" bodybuilding.com page: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    Heys, I'm in, although I'm probably younger than most of you (only 19) I hope I can relate still, since I am a guy :tongue:
    since it's just us guys here, I made a post before, but no one is really answering to it, here's the situation:
    I went to the hospital yesterday because I had pain in my "ahem",... Turns out I have "Epididymitis" :ohwell:
    So it feels like someone punched me down there, but the soreness won't go away, anyways, I want to exercise still but it says to get lots of bedrest, any suggestions on light exercise but still a good way to burn calories? As walking and such gets the infection and inflammation going again. :grumble:
  • dkcj4fox
    dkcj4fox Posts: 35
    Options

J/k. Casper, when you said you'll start once you "see" your abs, what does that mean body fat %-wise? I mean we talkn' six-pack, or just those two verticle lines that separate the obliques from the core? We talkn 10-13% body fat, or 16-18%?

I've always thought I was around 12-14% when my abs show....... I'll try to post a pic.....I don't mind taking my shirt off anymore....lost 25lbs last year!!! Anybody know if I am 12-14% ????? I've never taken a real body fat test before?

IMG_5909.jpg