Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm in,,, why not.

Iplay's gonna pass me. I think I'd lost 50lbs or more when he joined the site, now I'm down another 10 and he's lost a Labrador Retriever. He cheats, has more to work with. Well over 6' tall.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. g'night dude.

Oh ya',,, done the pedometer thing. When I teach a double BRC motorcycle class I walk 18,000 steps on saturday and 15,000 on sunday. And on monday I rest.

60 lbs is since Jan 15th 2009. Not when I joined MFP.

I might be giving some back after the past three days. I have been craving a huge pile of chicken wings from Hooters for the past few weeks. Well today, I had the opportunity, and i took it. (wife and kids occupied) I had 20 wings plus ranch dressing. While I watched the UT-UNC basketball game.

I knew the calories were going to be bad. But I didn't know how bad it was going to be until I logged them in MFP after the fact. This one meal, which didn't even fill me up was 4000 calories. Let's just say I'm quite a bit over for the day.

On Tuesday my self imposed hiatus from "strenous" excersise is over, and we've got some new healthy recepies to take into the new year. So I know it's going to come back off rather quickly once I get going again.

However, this is more of an epithany as to how I got this way. My previous job was a high pressure sales job and I had this same meal at least once a week, sometimes three times a week because there was a Hooter's close to my office and I took clients there. Sometimes I still want to kick my own *kitten*.....which is how I lost 60 lbs.

As for walking with pedometer's. I know it's not sexy, but I also walked for 9 months before I thought my joints could handle running. So while I prefer to run now, because it burns a tone of calories and I enjoy it, a leisurely stroll certainly isn't beneath me.
  • phern55
    Options
    Did a lot of snow shoveling today.
    Listed it under gardening which for my weight was about 466 cals per hour.
    Does that sound about right?
  • 10wags10
    Options
    I am new to MFP, joined a gym a year ago and lost some body fat and gained muscle but can't seem to lose pounds. I am really going to focus on the calories over the next couple of months and see if I can get the weight under 190. Beer is my biggest problem, I drink about 12 per week. I am excited to hear other ideas and success stories from other men in my situation
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Love to Eat Out? Looking for Healthier Options?

A new website, HealthyDiningFinder.com, identifies healthier choices at a wide range of popular restaurants. The only resource of its kind, HealthyDiningFinder.com provides nutrition information (fat, saturated fat, calories, fiber, fruit/vegetable servings and more) for those who enjoy eating out and are interested in health and nutrition. New restaurants are added every week. (courtesy of www.healthydiningfinder.com).

I know with the holiday season and all of the sporting events and parties that many of us will be involved with, I figured that this website would be a great addition to your healthy lifestyle toolbox. I have already used it myself and I have been telling all of my friends, family, and co-workers about it. You just simply put in your zip code and the amount of money that you want to spend on your meal, hit enter and your healthy meal choices seem to magically appear. Also these choices are dietician approved, so those of you that have major health complications, hopefully this information can be used to help you to resolve some of those issues. By the way, you do not have to worry about just eating a bunch salads and vegetables, there are other "manly" menu items that you will be able to choose from.

So guys, go and check out this website, use this information and come back and let the rest of us know how this worked out for you. On your mark...get ready...GO EAT!!!!
  • bortass
    bortass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling Ab Ripper X tonight.

For those asking P90X does work if you put in the time. I did a full round back in January and lost 32 lbs and went from a XXL to L in my shirt size and 36 in to 33 in waist in my jeans. Not bad for 90 days work.

Too bad I hurt my shoulder playing VB and stopped all activity besides eating poptarts etc.
  • bortass
    bortass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Got some good news today. I had a BF test done using calipers with 3 site measurements taken. The same exact test and person I've had do it 4 previous time. I came out at 20.1% BF. The reason it'sa goodnews is I weigh more now then when i first had one done back in january. Back then I was 5 lbs lighter but at 23% BF.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ bortass

Way to melt away the BF:drinker: Keep us posted on your progress.
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    What's up, gentleman?
    Just checking out some other topics and came upon this one.

So, is it true that men have a faster metabolism and lose weight faster then women? If so, is there an age cut-off to when that stops working?
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ shutterbug 4674

According to weightwatchers.com, Some couples working to lose weight may notice that the man usually loses at a faster pace than the woman. What's going on? Do men really lose more weight faster or does it just appear that they do? The truth is, men have two major weight-loss advantages over women: One involves their body composition, which enables them to burn calories at a faster rate than women, and the second revolves around the fact that men tend to be more active than their female counterparts. These two major factors—more calories burned at rest and more calories burned in activity—translate into faster weight loss for guys.

Men have faster metabolisms.
    Men are biologically programmed to have higher amounts of lean body mass, or muscle, than women. Lean body mass is the key factor that determines the rate of one's metabolism, the body's calorie-burning system. Since men have more muscle, their metabolisms are higher, and they burn more calories even when they're resting, so the final result is a more rapid weight loss. How much faster are men's metabolisms than women's? Research has found that on average the metabolism of a man is 5 to 10 percent higher than that of a woman of the same weight and height.

Men are more active.
    Another reason men often lose weight faster then women is that they tend to be more physically active. In fact, a study reported in the American Journal of Physiology found that women burn an average of 16 percent fewer daily calories than men. The researchers looked into that difference, finding that the women's resting metabolic rate was 6 percent lower than that of men (e.g., a slower metabolism) and that the number of calories burned in physical activity was 37 percent lower than that of men. In other words, the women were simply not moving as much as the guys so they were burning fewer calories.

Women also have an edge.
    Women do have an edge, however, over men in other critical areas of weight management. For example, women tend to be more attentive to what's going on with their weight (e.g. they know when they should work to lose weight) and are better able to make the connection between food and emotions.

Bottom Line: At the end of the day, the differences in terms of total weight loss between men and women are modest. Both sexes can be successful in achieving a lasting weight loss with a comprehensive lifestyle approach.

I hope this helps. Come back and keep us updated.
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    Thanks gr8dad1975...

Happy New Year, guys!
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Guys,

We are already a few days into the year! Many of us have made many resolutions or vowed to stay away from resolutions altogether. Whatever the case may be, a new year is another opportunity to set new goals or continue on with previously set goals. For many of us here at MFP, we aim to get fit, stay fit, and help others along the way. Guys usually put a lot thought into joining groups such as this. And although there are a great deal of men here at MFP, we are still the minority around here. This forum was created for guys to have a space to get support, encouragement, and just chill with other guys "who understand". I personally enjoy visting the various forums and I have gotten some great feedback from the women around here, but sometimes men need to talk to other men. Kudos to those of you who have checked out this forum and thumbs up to those of you who have posted responses here. There has been a lot of great information shared here on the Man to Man forum, but make sure that others who do not know about this forum stop by and read some of the old information as well as benefit from some of the future posts. So, as we move forward in the new year let's make a pact that we are going keep our fellow brothers informed, inspired, and included. Here's to a better year guys! :drinker:
  • operator
    Options
    Hey all......

I figured a "Man forum" was appropriate...so I wanted to drop a line to say I am with you guys. I did notice there are a lot of ladies on the forum so this was a pretty good idea. I am on the computer all day long so I should be readily available, at least Monday - Friday.

I am looking forward to dropping some LBS. I went to McDonalds today and got a Half-Diet-Half-Regular coke....naaa just playing.

I am hoping to stick my a routine of getting up in the morning, doing P-90-X Classic, eating something (I usually skip breakfast), training Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai in the afternoons (we have a mat room here at work) and then eating a sensible dinner and NO desert. Actually if I could just not drink beer, that would be the best. I have no beer in the fridge now, so I am starting good. I guess it is gin/vodka tonics from here on out. Yes...Yes..I know Tonic is high in calories, but it isn’t that bad when it is a "splash" of tonic in a high-ball glass........=)

Anyways, thanks for reading. I look forward to motivating and being motivated this year!!!!
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ operator

:laugh: :laugh: Awesome sense of humor.

Now on to serious business:glasses: A guy who is getting up in the morning, doing P-90-X Classic, eating something when he usually skips breakfast, training Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai in the afternoons and then eating a sensible dinner and NO desert, definitely has the will, motivation, and restraint to make the necessary changes with his alcohol intake. Pardon me while I lecture:bigsmile: Beer has somewhere in the neighborhood of about 200 calories and even light is between 140 and 150, liquor can have its fair share of sugar, so watch out for those calories (trust me that have a way of sneaking in under the radar). If you must treat yourself to a drink: eat a healthy snack first, keep your drinks to a minimum and step away from the bar..... and nobody gets hurt :laugh:
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Thanks for the invite. Cool, there is a few dudes around here.

Consider me in and BTW Shboss is a wealth of knowledge, I can vouch for that.

I just moved my weights from old house to new while it was 3 degress out yesterday.
    That is dedication. I am not looking forward to starting over, here comes the pain.

Later
  • DTFaaron
    Options
    Hey Guys,

We are already a few days into the year! Many of us have made many resolutions or vowed to stay away from resolutions altogether. Whatever the case may be, a new year is another opportunity to set new goals or continue on with previously set goals. For many of us here at MFP, we aim to get fit, stay fit, and help others along the way. Guys usually put a lot thought into joining groups such as this. And although there are a great deal of men here at MFP, we are still the minority around here. This forum was created for guys to have a space to get support, encouragement, and just chill with other guys "who understand". I personally enjoy visting the various forums and I have gotten some great feedback from the women around here, but sometimes men need to talk to other men. Kudos to those of you who have checked out this forum and thumbs up to those of you who have posted responses here. There has been a lot of great information shared here on the Man to Man forum, but make sure that others who do not know about this forum stop by and read some of the old information as well as benefit from some of the future posts. So, as we move forward in the new year let's make a pact that we are going keep our fellow brothers informed, inspired, and included. Here's to a better year guys! :drinker:

thank you for the invite! I will need everyones help this year. I have 7 months to lose 39 pounds. I don't know if it's possible but I'm gonna try real hard (even if I get close it's okay). Step one was signing up on this website.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ FORKDOWN & hbaaron

Welcome to the club guys!
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    I stayed under on Cals, fats & carbs and I dusted off the weight bench this morning.
    I cant wait for the pain come tommorrow from lifting this morning, I hate starting over.
  • operator
    Options
    Hey thanks for the reply. I just have this habit of coming home and if I make dinner for the wife and me, I just have to have a gin or vodka and tonic (Somehow I have a feeling there is a "hey you might be an alcoholic" speach in there somewhere). There are about 100 calories in a nice sized shot of Gin (1 fluid OZ) and probably another 50 calories in the Tonic (just a splash.......just a splash) and I feel like I get a butter buzz than if I have a beer. Ok..you caught me....I usually have 3-4 beers if I have a 6 pack sitting there thus my reasoning behind the one glass of a strong drink.

I will usually have some nuts with the drink as my snack so I don;t over-do-it on dinner.

Anyways, the P-90-X is awesome, it is just tough to get up in the morning but I did it. Plyometrics is a ball buster...had me seathing and dying for air this morning.

Today is "Two-Dollar Tuesday's" at a local watering hole and we usually go there...but I think I may have to skip it even though the drinks are on my colleague. I want to train but my body hurts......which I think is an excuse so I can get a beer.

I'll tell you what, I beat my calorie intake by Four hundred and freaking thirteen yesterday. I was in the green for everyhting else but Protein.

Ok enough rambling. Off to log my calories for this morning...but thank god I did Plyo today...

Keep it up men!!!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,<<snip>>
    thank you for the invite! I will need everyones help this year. I have 7 months to lose 39 pounds. I don't know if it's possible but I'm gonna try real hard (even if I get close it's okay). Step one was signing up on this website.
    I lost 60 pounds in my first 7 months, so it's probably do'able. Where's your BF% now, and what are you going for?

When you get to the "finish line" (as if,,,) it gets a lot harder. I got from 35% bodyfat to 15% pretty easily,,, but getting from 14% to 12% is kicking my butt.
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    Hey Guys,<<snip>>
    I lost 60 pounds in my first 7 months, so it's probably do'able. Where's your BF% now, and what are you going for?

When you get to the "finish line" (as if,,,) it gets a lot harder. I got from 35% bodyfat to 15% pretty easily,,, but getting from 14% to 12% is kicking my butt.

Man I would kill for 14%, I bet I am close to 40%. My BMI on Wii was 32 (ouch :embarassed: )