• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Am joining this bandwagon.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,<<snip>>
    thank you for the invite! I will need everyones help this year. I have 7 months to lose 39 pounds. I don't know if it's possible but I'm gonna try real hard (even if I get close it's okay). Step one was signing up on this website.
    I lost 60 pounds in my first 7 months, so it's probably do'able. Where's your BF% now, and what are you going for?

When you get to the "finish line" (as if,,,) it gets a lot harder. I got from 35% bodyfat to 15% pretty easily,,, but getting from 14% to 12% is kicking my butt.

Man I would kill for 14%, I bet I am close to 40%. My BMI on Wii was 32 (ouch :embarassed: )

My BMI was 41 (5'8", 270 lbs, 47" waist).

Current BMI is 31.8 @ 14%. Wierd build, massive bone structure, 34" waist w/defined abs and BMI sez I'm still obese.

You'll get there, diet & exercise, the only thing that works.
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

We are getting off to a great start this year. We are getting new members to this forum who really needed a place where guys could hangout. So, I'm just stopping by to say that we are doing a great job of keeping each other healthy and motivated. So if you are reading this post and you have a friend who would enjoy or needs to experience what we have going on here at the Man to Man Forum, invite him to come on over. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Joining up, too. Just stumbled across this topic, and yeah, it's kinda' nice to have the Guy Zone among the sea of women (not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but too much of a good thing can be......)

I'm 36, 5'8", 154 lbs. Started back in March at 177, dropped down to 166 by late July when I hit the P90X. I'm finishing up my 2nd round now, and got down to 148 at the lowest, but I fell apart diet-wise over the holidays.

My goal and inspiration: I'm part of a costuming group (those fruit-loops you might see at sporting events, parades, or toy/comic book stores in Star Wars costumes) and an off-shoot of them started doing costumes from "300" by combining our love of movies and a desire to buff up. Well, it worked, because there's a bunch of them running around DragonCon every year in Atlanta from around the country.

And when your costume mostly consists of you in underwear....well, there are some requirements that can't be covered by all-encompassing plastic!

So I'm aiming to be fit enough by May to be a Spartan warrior. And it helps that my wife really digs that idea :)
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ WeirdFish

Hey I just made room on my hero shelf just for you. BTW I want to become a Spartan Warrior just like you when I grow up (I think my wife would dig that too) :bigsmile:
  • operator
    Options
    Hey wierdfish....

man you gotta google "300 The Movie training program." It is tough...tough...tough.....

So I decided to NOT drink at lunch today. I went in the back and rolled with the guys. We train Jiu-Jitsu and we went four 5-minute rounds...100% as hard as you can go. Here is a quesiton, though. Any one have any idea how many calories I just burned? It is basically combat submission wrestling, but I cannot find anything like that on the calorie counter. I created one and just estimated 500 calories...but man it was tough as tough can be. Sweating....breathing like Iam going to die.....TOUGH!!!!! So any ideas on how i can measure the calories burned?

So we did this:

15 minutes of warm up. Stretching and light grappling. You do work up a sweat in that 15 minutes. No break. Then we go "live":

5 minute round...2 minute break. 5 minute round...2 minute break. 5 minute round, 2 minute break. 5 minute round, 2 minute break.

Any help would be appreciated....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Impossible to guess. Any chance a HRM would survive this? Strap that on, do the work, then see what the little electro-brainy sez.
  • operator
    Options
    My friend there woiuld be no way that thing would stay on. I can give it a shot but I doubt I can keep it on....it is a good idea though ...
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ operator

Hey check out this link: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp and find Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and put in your weight in pounds and the number of minutes spent exercising, click calculate and your calories burned will magically appear.

BTW guys there are tons of other exercises that are listed such as: Billiards, Chopping wood, Mowing the lawn, and even Wii Sports and Wii Fit! So get on over there and go check it out!
  • operator
    Options
    totally awesome!!!!
  • ChefJeremyC
    Options
    Thanks for the invite....

I dont have much to say but i will be around
  • bortass
    bortass Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I lost 60 pounds in my first 7 months, so it's probably do'able. Where's your BF% now, and what are you going for?

When you get to the "finish line" (as if,,,) it gets a lot harder. I got from 35% bodyfat to 15% pretty easily,,, but getting from 14% to 12% is kicking my butt.

I got from 23% to 11.5 in about 13 weeks early last year doing P90X.

I'm just starting my 4th week of my second round. I had a BF test a few weeks ago and it came back at 20% even though I weighed more then when it was 23%. That really was eye opening on what sort of after effect P90X had on my system. I wasn't working out and gained weight but it wasn't all blubber.
  • operator
    Options
    That site is pretty kewl Gr8.

Calories Burned: 965

I think that is about good, man. I do work my *kitten* off in there and sweat so much!!!
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WTG, op!
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jumping in...
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    *looks in the room, belches, scrathces himslef and then leaves*

Hey, it is the man thread.
    :bigsmile:

BTW doin good on the diet so far, struggling for time to exercise.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ FORKDOWN

Glad to hear that the diet is going well. While making time for "exercise" seems like a bit of a chore, there are plenty of activities that you can do that will count towards your daily exercise goal. (I know it won't be the same as P90X or Jiu Jitsu :wink: but it's a start). BTW don't forget that the old standby of walking is actually still an exercise. However, I ran across an old article that I had from ehow.com about exercises for the office; maybe you or some of the other guys in a similar situation can find it useful.

How to Exercise at Your Office

Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:

Athletic Shoes
    Desk Chairs
    Exercise Mats
    Water Bottles

Step 1: Try some squats: Stand in front of your office chair with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bend your knees as though you're sitting on the chair, keeping your weight on your heels. When your legs are parallel with the seat of the chair, slowly rise to your original standing position.

Step 2: Opt for plié squats: Take a wide stance with your toes pointing outward. Standing upright, slowly bend your knees in the direction of your toes until you can no longer see your toes. Slowly return to your starting position.

Step 3: Hold up the wall with wall sits: With your back touching the wall, move your feet away from the wall so that the wall is supporting the weight of your back. Bend your knees so that your legs form a 90-degree angle. Hold as long as you can.

Step 4: Pose like a warrior - with a lunge: With your arms by your side, take a giant step forward with your right leg so your thigh is parallel with the floor. Pushing off the same leg, return to your starting position. Repeat with the left leg. (Traveling lunges are also an option.)

Step 5: During a coffee break, try calf raises: Holding onto your desk or a file cabinet for balance, raise your heels off the floor, then lower.

Step 6: Peek into your neighbor's cubical while you do toe raises: Sitting in your chair or standing, lift and lower your toes while keeping your heels on the ground, or walk around on the heels of your feet.

Step 7: Burn those buns with a gluteal squeeze: While sitting or standing, squeeze the muscles of your rear end. Hold, then relax.

Step 8: Get on the floor and do some crunches: Lying on your back with your knees bent, reach for your knees, hold for two counts, then return to the floor.

Step 9: Stay on the floor to do some push-ups: Perform push-ups standing upright with your hands a little wider than shoulder-width apart, against a wall or lying facedown on the ground.

Step 10: Do some dips: With the palms of your hands on your chair and feet on the floor, scoot your rear end off the end of your chair. Bend your elbows, lowering your body, then straighten your arms to return to the starting position.

Step 11: Release tension with shoulder raises: Raise your shoulders up to your ears, hold, then relax.

Hey, I hope this helps.

*ATTENTION GUYS*

Please submit a few more ideas for exercises that guys with busy schedules can do.

Thanks!
    gr8dad
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Thanks might try some of them.

BTW chest is starting to hurt from lifting.

@ FORKDOWN

Glad to hear that the diet is going well. While making time for "exercise" seems like a bit of a chore, there are plenty of activities that you can do that will count towards your daily exercise goal. (I know it won't be the same as P90X or Jiu Jitsu :wink: but it's a start). BTW don't forget that the old standby of walking is actually still an exercise. However, I ran across an old article that I had from ehow.com about exercises for the office; maybe you or some of the other guys in a similar situation can find it useful.

How to Exercise at Your Office

Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:

Athletic Shoes
    Desk Chairs
    Exercise Mats
    Water Bottles

Step 1: Try some squats: Stand in front of your office chair with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bend your knees as though you're sitting on the chair, keeping your weight on your heels. When your legs are parallel with the seat of the chair, slowly rise to your original standing position.

Step 2: Opt for plié squats: Take a wide stance with your toes pointing outward. Standing upright, slowly bend your knees in the direction of your toes until you can no longer see your toes. Slowly return to your starting position.

Step 3: Hold up the wall with wall sits: With your back touching the wall, move your feet away from the wall so that the wall is supporting the weight of your back. Bend your knees so that your legs form a 90-degree angle. Hold as long as you can.

Step 4: Pose like a warrior - with a lunge: With your arms by your side, take a giant step forward with your right leg so your thigh is parallel with the floor. Pushing off the same leg, return to your starting position. Repeat with the left leg. (Traveling lunges are also an option.)

Step 5: During a coffee break, try calf raises: Holding onto your desk or a file cabinet for balance, raise your heels off the floor, then lower.

Step 6: Peek into your neighbor's cubical while you do toe raises: Sitting in your chair or standing, lift and lower your toes while keeping your heels on the ground, or walk around on the heels of your feet.

Step 7: Burn those buns with a gluteal squeeze: While sitting or standing, squeeze the muscles of your rear end. Hold, then relax.

Step 8: Get on the floor and do some crunches: Lying on your back with your knees bent, reach for your knees, hold for two counts, then return to the floor.

Step 9: Stay on the floor to do some push-ups: Perform push-ups standing upright with your hands a little wider than shoulder-width apart, against a wall or lying facedown on the ground.

Step 10: Do some dips: With the palms of your hands on your chair and feet on the floor, scoot your rear end off the end of your chair. Bend your elbows, lowering your body, then straighten your arms to return to the starting position.

Step 11: Release tension with shoulder raises: Raise your shoulders up to your ears, hold, then relax.

Hey, I hope this helps.

*ATTENTION GUYS*

Please submit a few more ideas for exercises that guys with busy schedules can do.

Thanks!
    gr8dad
  • operator
    Options
    Hey guys.......sorry for my delay but I am still here. I did not make my P-90 this morning...too tired from the past couple of days, but I did just get done a crazy...and I mean CRAZY... Jiu-Jitsu session. After we got done I just could not eat another salad today so I opted for 2 Ranchero chicken soft tacos from Taco Bell. 350 calories ain;t bad. Good job to all the guys still hangining in there. Be strong and keep posting. This kind of thread kind of keeps me motivated...makes me feel like I am accountable for not only these posts... but accountable for my workout regiment and eating habits. Thanks a bunch all!!!

Also, let me say to Forkdown, man it is tough when you sit behind a desk all day. I am lucky that we have a mat room and I have guys who just want to train every day but when I was not training, I was taking my lunch time and going for a run. Even a 30 minute run around the block will be something. You gotta find time for yourself, man. This is the year of you......So run, walk, get out...just do something...anything....and you will feel better.
  • eafrancis10
    Options
    Hey Hey I love that there is quite a few guys on here. My Fiance is pushing me to do this. Well actually Im pushing myself to do this. I am very excited and ready to look good!