Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options

Replies

• FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Hell yeah down 3 lbs, with zero cardio workouts last week. Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. my wife turned me onto this site today, so I thought I would give it a try. I am 282 pounds, so I am very over weight. I work rotating shifts so my body never gets adjusted to a normal schedule. One week I work 7am-3pm, then the next week is 11pm - 7am, and the next is 3 pm - 11pm. And most of the time those days end up being 12 hour days. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site. The calorie counter is very helpful. It sounds like you have a busy work schedule.
    What I do is split my lunch in half. Eat my lunch and then walk around the building for a 1/2 hour. In the winter, I walk
    around downstairs. Drink plenty of water and just watch what you eat. If you can get any kind of a work out in on your time off,
    then great. Also try and get plenty of sleep and avoid late night eating. Although, with your schedule, it looks like some days that might be impossible. I think the rule is don't eat 4 hours before going to bed. But again, it revolves around your schedule.
  • mkwade7380
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I am finding out I have to be a little creative. As of weigh in this morning I have lost 5 pounds.
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I weighed in yesterday and lost 2 pounds in about 4 days. I did go over my calorie count on 2 days, so not bad overall. I will have to see what happens when I get back to work next week.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Good job Dave, keep it up, through thick & thin.
  • mkwade7380
    Options
    Great job Dave. Keep it up.

437972.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shutterbug4674
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I am finding out I have to be a little creative. As of weigh in this morning I have lost 5 pounds.

GREAT job!!!!
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys

I want to send a special congratulations to all the men who have recently either loss weight, gotten fit or joined MFP. Way to go Guys!!! LET'S KEEP IT UP!

gr8
  • operator
    Options
    ARGG!!!!!

Man being sick for 2 days really puts a damper on my workouts....
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    ARGG!!!!!

Man being sick for 2 days really puts a damper on my workouts....

The wife being sick has dampered mine so I feel your pain. Hope your feeling better soon.
    Dang treadmill is still dusty.
  • mkwade7380
    Options
    I have one question about the xalories I am taking in. Yesterday I started doubling up on my exercising. I did 30 of high impact aerobics, then 35 minutes on a stationary buke going uo and down hills. I took it about 1900 calories, and it said I needed about 1300 more for the day. Is that bad? Should I eat those calories, or is that defidit good for you. I don't think I could have ate any more yesterday.

437972.png
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    I have one question about the xalories I am taking in. Yesterday I started doubling up on my exercising. I did 30 of high impact aerobics, then 35 minutes on a stationary buke going uo and down hills. I took it about 1900 calories, and it said I needed about 1300 more for the day. Is that bad? Should I eat those calories, or is that defidit good for you. I don't think I could have ate any more yesterday.

437972.png

You need to eat those calories. Now I have read where working out in the morning can help burn more fat because your body burns the undigested food first. Cant remember where I read so the source could be questionable. But makes sense.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    I figure as long as you don't go over you recommended daily calories you are fine. For example, if your daily allowance is 2500 calories and you eat something that is 500 calories and you burn 500 calories, you still have 2500 calories to use for the rest of the day. BTW I burn extra calories when I know that I am going to an event where I am more likely to consume more calories. And I am able to eat more because of the extra calories that I have burned. Basically, exercising more and burning more calories allows me to eat foods that I would not be able to eat of I just sat around all the time. I know, I know...EXERCISE IS GOOD FOR US. Well anyway, keep up the good work guys!
  • shutterbug4674
    Options

437972.png

You need to eat those calories. Now I have read where working out in the morning can help burn more fat because your body burns the undigested food first. Cant remember where I read so the source could be questionable. But makes sense.

I think I read that same thing. I am not a morning person, so it's hard to get THAT motivated in the morning.
  • operator
    Options
    Dude, getting motivated that early in th emorning is tough. I missed my P-90-X work out the past 3 mornings cause I was sick monday and tuesday and really needed the sleep this morning. I will go home and do it but the morning workouts are tough. I'll tell you though, if you can ge tup and do it...about 30 minutes into it, you feel great. Around noon, you will feel freaking awesome!!!!

What is crazy for me though, is that although I did not work out these past 2 days, I still feel like I am losing weight.

Keep it up guys.

Oh and I really wanted to post on that thread that said "I Hate Men" but I refrained....
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    :laugh: @ op

Way to resist temptation!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The "I hate men" thing pops up from time to time on this 90% female site, it just happens. I tried to defend the male gender a couple times in the past, but there's no point. That gal don't really hate men, she just hates a D-bag who treated her badly and she's venting a bit. It's best if we just let it go.

I'm no trainer or physiologist, maybe Azdak or SHBoss will chime in, but here's my understanding of the morning training theory.

Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach may be effective for fat loss because the body has to burn fat to operate. With no carbs in the belly, no gas in the tank, your metab pretty much has to burn bodyfat to do the work.

It doesn't like to do this - your muscles would really rather feed the furnace with some nice buttery pancakes with extra syrup, that's why it's so hard to push through the yuck and get those early morning workouts done. But it does seem to work.
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    Dude, getting motivated that early in th emorning is tough. I missed my P-90-X work out the past 3 mornings cause I was sick monday and tuesday and really needed the sleep this morning. I will go home and do it but the morning workouts are tough. I'll tell you though, if you can ge tup and do it...about 30 minutes into it, you feel great. Around noon, you will feel freaking awesome!!!!

What is crazy for me though, is that although I did not work out these past 2 days, I still feel like I am losing weight.

Keep it up guys.

Oh and I really wanted to post on that thread that said "I Hate Men" but I refrained....

I am struggling bad with the am workout myself but it is my only option.

As far as the "I hate Men" thread let her vibrator mow the lawn then.
    :laugh:
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    @ forkdown

You are officially placed in time-out! :laugh:
  • FORKDOWN
    Options
    I just heard back from the DR...

I have Hawaiian's disease.
    :embarassed: