• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Nice try.....

Carbs rock. :drinker:
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Which fact? Archaeological and historical records showing sugar consumption from 800BC? Or the fact that sugar consumption hasn't changed in 40 years?

Sugar consumption can be looked up in the USDA ERS database, since 1980 sugar consumption has declined slightly, it actually peaked in the 70's if I remember correctly (I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me at the moment, although I do know added sugar consumption has actually decreased by 2 calories a day (half a gram) since 1990.)
    yes cane sugar went slightly down while hfcs took over and went up drastically our consumption of overall sugars have more than doubled. look it up
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs and am not fat, nor do I have whatever cravings your cartoon shows. So, um, theory wrong. Calories in/calories out, take in more than you burn and you are certain to gain weight/be overweight.

But whatever makes y`all happy.

Also, all caps + arrows = annoying.

Totally off topic...

MOST. AWESOME. PANDAS. EVAR.
  • laelafaye
    Options
    Which fact? Archaeological and historical records showing sugar consumption from 800BC? Or the fact that sugar consumption hasn't changed in 40 years?

Sugar consumption can be looked up in the USDA ERS database, since 1980 sugar consumption has declined slightly, it actually peaked in the 70's if I remember correctly (I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me at the moment, although I do know added sugar consumption has actually decreased by 2 calories a day (half a gram) since 1990.)
    yes cane sugar went slightly down while hfcs took over and went up drastically our consumption of overall sugars have more than doubled. look it up
    bump
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Thats because it's been replaced with new sweeteners, corn syrup and sugar beets. Not saying any of these are bad, but they are much cheeper than sugar.

This is what I was thinking. Nowadays, it's hard to find anything with JUST sugar in the ingredient list....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like Scooby-Doo.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I think there is a huge misconception related to low carbing. I am in full support of low carb, but that does not mean I never eat a carb, ahem, veggies are carbs. I love veggies. Every one has a slightly different metabolic rate, but I know for a fact my mother and I will only ever stay slim/lose weight by eating nothing but protein and vegetable carbs with the occassional ( as in once or twice a week ) whole grain carb meal. The truth is, the majority of Western civilization is addicted to sugar. White refined, donut forming sugar. It is the slow burning, phytonutrient, antioxidant carbohydrates that need to be the ONLY carbs the world eats or else everyone will soon be 400lbs and diabetic. Did you know that type 2 diabetes can be cured by cutting out sugars, yes, cured! I have seen it many times. High cholestrol, cured with sugar withdrawl. Did you know that cancer cells cannot live without sugar, and in fact feed on sugar? Before smack talking those who support low carb please try to understand what they're saying fully. There are breads and bagels that can be made to have 2-5 net carbs just by using whole, unrefined, complete food ingredients....thats the kind of low carber I want to be.
    Humans have been consuming sugar since 800 BC. It's only in the last 30 years that people have started gaining weight. Sugar consumption has actually stayed EXACTLY THE SAME in the last 40 years. You might want to actually research what you're talking about before you rattle off all kinds of nonsense. Type 2 Diabetes cannot be CURED just by cutting carbs. It's a tool to help control it, but Diabetes is incurable. If someone "cured" their Diabetes, it means they never actually had Diabetes. All cells feed on sugar, whether cancerous or not, sugar (glucose) is the body's main fuel source, and can be made from protein and fat.
    Notice how I said sugar, not glucose. All carbs turn into glucose once digested. We need carbs to live, we need glucose to produce cells, good cells, or bad cells, but sugar ( white sugar ) has only negative effects on the system. I'm sorry I didn't specify. I was not trying to start some duel, there would be no message boards without people stating their experiences. Good for all of you who can stay thin or lose weight while still consuming sugars, I wish that were the case with me but its not. :)
    Maybe there is nonsense in everyones post, everyones different. I am not a doctor, I don't claim to be. I have just witnessed many people lose weight and be taken off of their T2 diabetes meds and high cholestrol meds while on a low carb, zero refined sugar diet. I'm not a scientist, I speak from experience and information I have been taught by conventions led by scientists. Im sorry if you do not agree
    That's because WEIGHT LOSS helps control diabetes and reduce cholesterol. It has nothing to do with the carbs themselves. Refined sugar is no different than any other sugar, it's just glucose and fructose. No different than what you find in all fruits.

Agreed!! I am a Type 2 Diabetic and I do not follow a low carb diet whatsoever.... I am currently consuming 320-340 grams of carbs a day.. I started at 560 lbs. and worked with a nutritionist and my Endo Dr. and even in the beginning we set my carb intake at 240 grams a day and I was running A1c of 10.0 back then which equates to about a 240 baseline daily avg. on my sugars... I was insulin resistant but he never put me on insulin shots just pills and went from consuming 8000+ calories a day to a structured diet of 2400 calories a day and started aquatic therapy (cause I could not walk back then) so not all diabetic have to do low carb diets... and as far a Diabetes goes there is Absolutely NO CURE!! Once you are a Diabetic, you are a Diabetic for LIFE!! Now with proper diet and exercise you can gain control over the disease but it never will be cured.. When you become a full blown diabetic you burn up half your receptors which control you insulin production, your job at that point is to protect what is left, and there is probably a good chance at some point no matter how good a do over the rest of my life, the rest of those receptors could stop functioning forcing me on to insulin at some point... I have lost 311 lbs. and have been running A1c of 5.4 for the last 14 months or so, I am off all meds except for Metformin which my doctor prefers I stay on as a protector of those receptors I have left... Just want to add my 2 cents....... Best of Luck...
  • Need2bfit918
    Options
    i apologize hfcs has way more than doubled while cane sugar went down, but overall sugar consumption went up by more than 50 percent since the 50s. in 1990 it was 146 in 2000 it was 152, while not a big increase there, its still not down.
  • laelafaye
    Options
    I think there is a huge misconception related to low carbing. I am in full support of low carb, but that does not mean I never eat a carb, ahem, veggies are carbs. I love veggies. Every one has a slightly different metabolic rate, but I know for a fact my mother and I will only ever stay slim/lose weight by eating nothing but protein and vegetable carbs with the occassional ( as in once or twice a week ) whole grain carb meal. The truth is, the majority of Western civilization is addicted to sugar. White refined, donut forming sugar. It is the slow burning, phytonutrient, antioxidant carbohydrates that need to be the ONLY carbs the world eats or else everyone will soon be 400lbs and diabetic. Did you know that type 2 diabetes can be cured by cutting out sugars, yes, cured! I have seen it many times. High cholestrol, cured with sugar withdrawl. Did you know that cancer cells cannot live without sugar, and in fact feed on sugar? Before smack talking those who support low carb please try to understand what they're saying fully. There are breads and bagels that can be made to have 2-5 net carbs just by using whole, unrefined, complete food ingredients....thats the kind of low carber I want to be.
    Humans have been consuming sugar since 800 BC. It's only in the last 30 years that people have started gaining weight. Sugar consumption has actually stayed EXACTLY THE SAME in the last 40 years. You might want to actually research what you're talking about before you rattle off all kinds of nonsense. Type 2 Diabetes cannot be CURED just by cutting carbs. It's a tool to help control it, but Diabetes is incurable. If someone "cured" their Diabetes, it means they never actually had Diabetes. All cells feed on sugar, whether cancerous or not, sugar (glucose) is the body's main fuel source, and can be made from protein and fat.
    Notice how I said sugar, not glucose. All carbs turn into glucose once digested. We need carbs to live, we need glucose to produce cells, good cells, or bad cells, but sugar ( white sugar ) has only negative effects on the system. I'm sorry I didn't specify. I was not trying to start some duel, there would be no message boards without people stating their experiences. Good for all of you who can stay thin or lose weight while still consuming sugars, I wish that were the case with me but its not. :)
    Maybe there is nonsense in everyones post, everyones different. I am not a doctor, I don't claim to be. I have just witnessed many people lose weight and be taken off of their T2 diabetes meds and high cholestrol meds while on a low carb, zero refined sugar diet. I'm not a scientist, I speak from experience and information I have been taught by conventions led by scientists. Im sorry if you do not agree
    That's because WEIGHT LOSS helps control diabetes and reduce cholesterol. It has nothing to do with the carbs themselves. Refined sugar is no different than any other sugar, it's just glucose and fructose. No different than what you find in all fruits.

Agreed!! I am a Type 2 Diabetic and I do not follow a low carb diet whatsoever.... I am currently consuming 320-340 grams of carbs a day.. I started at 560 lbs. and worked with a nutritionist and my Endo Dr. and even in the beginning we set my carb intake at 240 grams a day and I was running A1c of 10.0 back then which equates to about a 240 baseline daily avg. on my sugars... I was insulin resistant but he never put me on insulin shots just pills and went from consuming 8000+ calories a day to a structured diet of 2400 calories a day and started aquatic therapy (cause I could not walk back then) so not all diabetic have to do low carb diets... and as far a Diabetes goes there is Absolutely NO CURE!! Once you are a Diabetic, you are a Diabetic for LIFE!! Now with proper diet and exercise you can gain control over the disease but it never will be cured.. When you become a full blown diabetic you burn up half your receptors which control you insulin production, your job at that point is to protect what is left, and there is probably a good chance at some point no matter how good a do over the rest of my life, the rest of those receptors could stop functioning forcing me on to insulin at some point... I have lost 311 lbs. and have been running A1c of 5.4 for the last 14 months or so, I am off all meds except or Metformin which my doctor prefers I stay on as a protect ofor those receptors I have left... Just want to add my 2 cents....... Best of Luck...
    Great job, thats fantastic! I am sorry, I did admit to an over generalization of the diabetes comment in one of these quote thingys, I do not have the qualifications to be making those comments...Just a theory of what I've been taught. I respect you alot for your progress, and wish you the best of luck. Thanks for your 2 cents, thats what these boards are for anyhow :)
  • Need2bfit918
    Options
    that chart is interesting since the 50s wheat, sugar, and fruit consumption is up while dairy and red meat is down.. Beef tallow ( beef fat ), and butter was also cut in half durring that time while vegetable oils more than made up for the difference ..I wonder what obesity, heart disease, and diabetes have done in that time.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    FUDGE!!!!! I just ate a banana =(
    BANANA! I just ate some fudge. :laugh: (dark chocolate, really :love: )
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    LOL!

It is getting hot up in her'!

Just wanted to remind everybody to take a chill pill. Low-Carb works for some people, but not all. There are so many factors that come into play regarding each individual that there is NO WAY you could possibly lay them out on a poster.

I just found these posters, thought they were cute, and wanted to share them with all my MFP friends. Don't get all bent out of shape over them :/

If there was a poster explaining how carbs are good for you I would equally enjoy looking at it - however to my knowledge it doesn't exist.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I like Scooby-Doo.

Yup. Back in the day when a chick like Velma could have junk in the trunk and no one b!tched about her BMI. :bigsmile:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    FUDGE!!!!! I just ate a banana =(
    BANANA! I just ate some fudge. :laugh: (dark chocolate, really :love: )

I had both fudge and a banana today. True story.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    LOL!

It is getting hot up in her'!

Just wanted to remind everybody to take a chill pill. Low-Carb works for some people, but not all. There are so many factors that come into play regarding each individual that there is NO WAY you could possibly lay them out on a poster.

]I just found these posters, thought they were cute, and wanted to share them with all my MFP friends. Don't get all bent out of shape over them :/

If there was a poster explaining how carbs are good for you I would equally enjoy looking at it - however to my knowledge it doesn't exist.

I found one:
    fruit_waffle.gif

'Nuff said.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Not a cartoon, but check out this bedtime story: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/731680-wicked-carbs
  • JLand918
    Options
    I found when I reduced my carbs and changed nothing else not even my workout etc just reducing the carbs began to shed pounds quick. It is hard to have 0 carbs but for me thats proof that if choose to eat a bagel, or oatmeal for breakfast over eating eggs,bacon that I will not lose the weight and actually gain it, but if I avoid the bagels, oatmeal and stick to eggs with meat for breakfast I drop around 5lbs that week, there is my proof that yes carbs are negative for diets.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Fat Head (which you can watch free on Hulu right now) has a lot of good info in it. Imperfect but it makes a point.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879

BUMP!!! I LOVE THIS.. man its freakin long to!!! lol.. but i watched it.. and posted it to my home page for peeps to see... then put it on the forum also.. good stuff... ive had way way less carbs today then normal and Ive burned over 800 calories in exercise (a.m. walk and zumba this evening) and i Feel great!!!!!!!!