Yes I AM fat!!!!!!

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    I weight 215 pounds - I am a big girl - I can handle the weight of that reality.

Pun win!
  • I think the key here is "if the person acknowledges they are fat, obese", whatever it is ok to agree with them. It is no one else's right to call people fat because they think they are "helping them face up to the fact". If you find it necessary to call yourself fat or whatever title you put on yourself, constantly, than you need to look inside yourself and find out why you don't like yourself and do something to change it. I know I am obese, fat whatever you want to call it. However I don't need everyone's verification of this fact on a daily basis. I have made a decision to do something about it and I will only move forward from here.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    So true. I think people think they are doing us a favour, trying to make us feel better about ourselves, but I'd rather people were just honest. I am 222lb. I'm fat. Fit(ish) but fat. And doing something about it. Encourage me, don't make out I don't need to change!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Why do you disrespect yourself by going und telling everyone you're fat?? That's crazy. If you're fat, others do know it. Also, stop complaining about it and use that energy to do something about it.

To op. I don't find it disrespectful, more honest and refreshing

THIS!!!! I call a spade a spade. There is no disrespect,only truth. I am ver blunt and honest and all of my real life friends think it is my best quality. I AM fat. There is nothing disrespectful about admitting that.

I occasionally say that I am fat, but that is to myself and usually in a fitting room. I don't need someone to confirm it for me. LOL

I must say, Aqua, I can't help but admire your face. You are so beautiful.

awwww. Thank you so much :) Im lucky to look so young for my age :)
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    So true. I think people think they are doing us a favour, trying to make us feel better about ourselves, but I'd rather people were just honest. I am 222lb. I'm fat. Fit(ish) but fat. And doing something about it. Encourage me, don't make out I don't need to change!

You are fat, get your *kitten* to the gym,

How does that feel?
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Talking about weight makes people uncomfortable. No one wants to make anyone feel like crap for no reason....so why bring it up?

^^^THIS^^^
    And when someone who has a few pounds to lose asks me if I think they are fat....I ask them if they feel healthy rather than answer their question.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Okay people, for Pete's sake, when an overweight person openly acknowledged their size/weight DO NOT, I repeat DOOO NOOOOOOOT, respond, "Oh no you're not!" Just because we're fat, doesn't mean we're stupid. I weight 215 pounds - I am a big girl - I can handle the weight of that reality. And you all know a fat person when you see one, who do you think you're kidding? I'm not saying go around letting chubb-chubbs in on the secret that they're fat, but don't deny it when we are self aware. It's annoying.

I have to say i love this. There are SO many worse things to be than FAT. I used to cry when people call me fat as a kid. All it is is a discription of something- it's how we make ourselves feel that is the problem- not the word. Fat is not a bad word. It also makes me batty when thin people go around saying they are fat just so that people tell them they are not.
    Great self awareness and good for you!
  • Yep. Agreed. Its a social niceity that drives me crazy.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    When I complained that I didn't like how FAT I was my kids would tell me your not fat mom you should see so and so's mom if you want to see FAT! Even their friends would tell me your not fat now my mom is fat! I would tell them I'm 224 pounds! Yes I"m fat!! I"m not stupid or blind so don't try and sugar coat it. I was getting pretty annoyed. I know they didn't want to hurt my feelings but I'm strong I can handle it. I told my kids and my husband I"m honest with myself I know I"m fat so why can't you all be honest with me and say yes mom your fat. They said they didn't want to hurt my feelings. Didn't want to make me cry, insult me etc. I have to say after reading on here the rude remarks others have had to deal with I count myself lucky that my "immediate" family cares about hurting my feelings. I honestly didn't notice how fat I really was till my husband got me this enormous vanity mirror. OMG I had to sit in front of that thing every day after my shower doing my hair and makeup. EEKKKK For the first time I saw my upper arms and how enormous they were and all those rolls!! I had rolls upon rolls!!! And my ARSH was so frigin wide!!!!!!! No one not even my dr would tell me that I was obese. I had to find out what my BMI was on my own! That was Feb of this year and I've been working my rump off every day to get rid of this FAT!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Okay people, for Pete's sake, when an overweight person openly acknowledged their size/weight DO NOT, I repeat DOOO NOOOOOOOT, respond, "Oh no you're not!" Just because we're fat, doesn't mean we're stupid. I weight 215 pounds - I am a big girl - I can handle the weight of that reality. And you all know a fat person when you see one, who do you think you're kidding? I'm not saying go around letting chubb-chubbs in on the secret that they're fat, but don't deny it when we are self aware. It's annoying.

Whether weight-related or not, one of the most infuriating things in life is to speak an unpleasant truth about oneself in the hope of improvement, or just truth, and have people refute the statement.

What response would you prefer? I'm not fat, but if someone who was said that to me, in the course of what seemed to be a fitness discussion, I'd probably nod, and say,

"If you're putting together a plan and have any questions, ask me, I might have some suggestions."

But do recognize that the situation is tricky for the other person. Some people want to be contradicted. Not having another person challenge an unpleasant statement makes some speakers feel worse, even if it is a bit contrary, but human beings are complex and inconsistent.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    I also don't go around telling people "boo hoo I am fat poor me" so that they feel obligated to make me feel better. That's why I think people try to be nice about it.
    I like the response that someone said about asking them if they feel healthy.
    You can be thin and unhealthy too.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Talking about weight makes people uncomfortable. No one wants to make anyone feel like crap for no reason....so why bring it up?

^^^THIS^^^
    And when someone who has a few pounds to lose asks me if I think they are fat....I ask them if they feel healthy rather than answer their question.

My siblings revel in the fact that I put on weight and love to remind me at every opportunity. When I was pregnant they would point out that I now had larger arms or put a little weight on my thighs. I was always the skinny one in the family. But here they were all twice my size or bigger and pointing out every oz I put on. Needless to say I no longer have anything to do with those obnoxious jerks.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    I also don't go around telling people "boo hoo I am fat poor me" so that they feel obligated to make me feel better. That's why I think people try to be nice about it.

My husband is proof that you can be skinny and unhealthy. He appears to be healthy but his blood work says otherwise. High cholesterol, high triglycerides, high BP etc etc etc. My best friends husband "WAS" the same way till she found him dead on the kitchen floor from a massive heart attack.
  • mfpcopine

The problem with that one is that people who are obviously unhealthy (they tire easily, can't walk very far) ignore the effects, or don't link them to being overweight or obese.

Fortunately, no one asks me if they're fat. :smile: They are either well aware or don't want to be told.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Why do you disrespect yourself by going und telling everyone you're fat?? That's crazy. If you're fat, others do know it. Also, stop complaining about it and use that energy to do something about it.

Even when I was over 300 pounds I never complained about my weight. No one wants to hear it.

It's not always in that context though. Like when my thin friends ask me where I got my cute outfit and I say "xyz - it's a big/fat/chubby /plus size (whatever my brain selects that day) store - you're probably too small to fit in their smallest size" and my friends say - oh leannems (yes, everyone refers to me by my MFP name), you are not big/fat/chubby/plus size.

I know they're being nice, and it's nice of them to be nice, but yeah - I really am. That's why I shop at the store where the sizes start at 14. I'm not being disrespectful to myself - I'm just telling the truth.

I don't give my friends a hard time - they're trying to be sweeties - but it makes me feel a little weird to be like - woah, wait - the plus size store is not a plus size store. I don't get it. :wink:
  • mfpcopine

My husband is proof that you can be skinny and unhealthy. He appears to be healthy but his blood work says otherwise. High cholesterol, high triglycerides, high BP etc etc etc. My best friends husband "WAS" the same way till she found him dead on the kitchen floor from a massive heart attack.

Yes, you can be thin and unhealthy, but it's more likely to be fat and unhealthy. If doctors didn't think it mattered, they wouldn't advise their patients to lose weight.

Everyone, thin or fat, should see the doctor. Hope Obama gets re-elected so that will be a possibility for everyone.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member

Even when I was over 300 pounds I never complained about my weight. No one wants to hear it.

Attention, just talking, need a friend, a hug...pick one!
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    I've had someone tell me if they had not KNOWN I used to be 304lbs, they would think I was just naturally this size (which btw is a size 10 and 177lbs... so still pretty overweight for my height since I'm only 5'6"). She assumed at first that I have never struggled with my weight. :) OOOOOH boy have I struggled. LOL :)

Because I've been at 178 for almost a year now, I have people who I've developed relationships since who sometimes mention how I don't need to be careful about what I eat and I don't need to go to the gym 5 days/week and that I have nothing to worry about. It's so funny that the idea of fat and skinny can change so radically so quickly and that now I'm a "skinny" person to everyone I meet even though I still see myself at 250. (Don't worry, it's not body dysmorphic disorder, it's former fat kid disorder.)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    I've had someone tell me if they had not KNOWN I used to be 304lbs, they would think I was just naturally this size (which btw is a size 10 and 177lbs... so still pretty overweight for my height since I'm only 5'6"). She assumed at first that I have never struggled with my weight. :) OOOOOH boy have I struggled. LOL :)

Because I've been at 178 for almost a year now, I have people who I've developed relationships since who sometimes mention how I don't need to be careful about what I eat and I don't need to go to the gym 5 days/week and that I have nothing to worry about. It's so funny that the idea of fat and skinny can change so radically so quickly and that now I'm a "skinny" person to everyone I meet even though I still see myself at 250. (Don't worry, it's not body dysmorphic disorder, it's former fat kid disorder.)

Maybe I just have former fat kid disorder... I was slight afraid I may have body dymorphic disorder, but I don't ALWAYS feel awful about my weight. I'm not a skinny person. Just a skinniER person than I used to be. LOL BUT there are times I still see myself at my heaviest. I still don't wear shorts out of the house often and i don't wear tank tops without something covering. I'm not sure if it's because I'm insecure or just modest. Maybe insecure. Yeah. Probably that. LMAO
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member

You are fat, get your *kitten* to the gym,

How does that feel?

win