Why, thank you Bob Evan's....

Options
1234568»

Replies

• It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank Bob Evans for the TASTY turkey sausage breakfast patties I discovered yesterday :)

I would like to thank them for there stuffed pancakes. HOLY crap are they unhealthy but sooooooo good. I'll run a marathon if only to have them again.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to point out the ridiculousness.

I suppose what I'm saying is falling on deaf ears.

The only thing that's ridiculous is that you don't seem to understand that the restaurants are simply offering what the consumers want. If people wanted smaller portions of healthy food, then Bob Evans would be advertising it.

Of course, any restaurant that tried to serve predominately small portions of healthy food would probably go out of business in a week . . .
  • Jleach111
    Jleach111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?

Oh my - yes please! How much better would it be to teach these important concepts in PE instead of just telling the kids to run laps?

I wish there were mandatory high school classes, personal finance, nutrition and exercise, and a general career guidance (reviews how to write resumes, interview, general work etiquete)

Yes I agree! I know so many young people who didn't have a CLUE about finance and career preparation until they learned the hard way. And I had health class but it was always taught by coaches who'd rather just put on a Made For TV movie about AIDS or something and take a nap! Actual topics about nutrition, fitness, and calories would have been beneficial. And regarding the original topic, I couldn't care less what a restaurant sells to consumers, as long as they always make their nutrition facts readily available! Knowledge is power! Most chains are really good about this, but ever since starting MFP, I get a little bit of anxiety if I don't know how many calories something is!
  • Culley34
    Options
    I just hate when restaurants don't publish their nutritional information. Some have it available online and others are wililng to include on the menu. I know that is the case with restaurants in NYC...

To me, that's a huge red flag about where I want to eat.

I know some establishments have been very resistant to publishing it for obvious purposes (read: The Cheesecake Factory), but I think it should be a law to disclose calories, saturated fat, and total fat in a particular dish. It doesn't have to be on the menu, but it should be available on the company's website.

You'd be surprised at what you find...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The OP is talking about social responsibility that corporations should have to some extent; this goes beyond harmful, fattening food, and it includes things like the environment (i.e. pollution) and socioeconomic (i.e. child labor) concerns. Health of consumers should be considered by corporations as a duty of social responsibility; for example consider tobacco, alcohol, and fast food chains. Sure, no one forces you to chain smoke and down a pound of french fries, but companies should assume some part of the responsibility in their offerings.

No one (person, corporation, or government) should have to take responsibility for the actions of adults.

Yeah? :huh:

A number of places have. The use of trans fats has gone way down, and many places are now frying their potatoes in healthier fats. And McDs switched from mystery meat nuggets to all white meat. I'd say there's some sense of responsibility. But junk food is junk food, and sometimes we just want a juicy burger and aren't concerned about the cals!

It's not responsibility, it's a choice to get more consumers. McD's sales of chicken increased when they started advertising all white meat chicken. I think that is fine. If a restuarant wants to use all white meat or sell only items up to a certain calorie number, that is its choice. And that may make me frequent that restaurant more, thereby increasing its business. However, that restaurant is not responsible for my health and my choices.

For example, it's nice that McD's offers apple slices. If I want that I can have it. But it also has fries. I get to choose. McD's isn't responsible for that choice. It just knows that offering the choice is the financially smart thing to do.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank Bob Evans for the TASTY turkey sausage breakfast patties I discovered yesterday :)

I would like to thank them for there stuffed pancakes. HOLY crap are they unhealthy but sooooooo good. I'll run a marathon if only to have them again.

OHH! The stuffed pancakes!!! I haven't had those in a long time! I :heart: Bob Evans!

I like to buy a loaf of blueberry bread (or pumpkin in season) on my way out the door! Take Bob Evans home today! :tongue:
  • skrame
    skrame Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree. I posted something a while back about subway irresponsibly implying that you will lose weight when you go there every day and that is an unrealistic expectation given that they push the cheeze and sauces and all of a sudden your at 1000 calories and 2000 mg of sodium but i got reemed for it.

They don't "push" the cheese and sauces. I'm in Subway every week or two, and I just say no to sauce, and sometimes to cheese. They never ask twice or tell me I should really have some. In fact, they're probably happy that they just saved a few cents.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree. I posted something a while back about subway irresponsibly implying that you will lose weight when you go there every day and that is an unrealistic expectation given that they push the cheeze and sauces and all of a sudden your at 1000 calories and 2000 mg of sodium but i got reemed for it.

They don't "push" the cheese and sauces. I'm in Subway every week or two, and I just say no to sauce, and sometimes to cheese. They never ask twice or tell me I should really have some. In fact, they're probably happy that they just saved a few cents.

^^Exactly.
    Again, someone not understanding business. Subway has nothing to gain from pushing cheese because they don't charge extra for it. So the franchise would be encouoraging smaller profits if they "pushed cheese and sauces".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I guess asking if someone wants something is "pushing."

OK, then.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I guess asking if someone wants something is "pushing."

OK, then.

The poster started with misinformation. Subway never implied that if you eat there you will lose weight. Subway's advertisements and postings specifically state that Jared ate the subs that were 6 grams of fat or less. None of those subs contain cheese and only certain sauces. The sodium has nothing to do with weight loss. He was just angry because he didn't check the calories before he ate and wanted someone else to blame.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

The poster started with misinformation. Subway never implied that if you eat there you will lose weight. Subway's advertisements and postings specifically state that Jared ate the subs that were 6 grams of fat or less. None of those subs contain cheese and only certain sauces. The sodium has nothing to do with weight loss. He was just angry because he didn't check the calories before he ate and wanted someone else to blame.

spot on.