Maybe This Site Isn't For Me??

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I had my husband measure me again today and I have been at this now for 2 weeks and have only lost 1 inch in my waist.

ONLY one inch in two weeks?! ONLY!? :noway:

I think you need to reset your expectations. Set some goals that have nothing to do with the scale or measurements. For me, that was training to be able to run a 5k. Each week, whether there was any changes in my body, I was able to run further than the week before. I knew I was getting healthier and stronger and doing good things for my body.

Taking photos can be great motivation, too, but don't expect to see noticeable changes in just two weeks. Maybe after a month or two, but expecting changes that quickly is like expecting to be able to see the grass growing in the yard. It doesn't happen that way. It'll look the same, look the same, look the same, look the same, then as soon as you're a little distracted... BOOM. It's time to mow the lawn.

Thank you for this! I was getting discouraged too, but your post helped to remind me about the process. I cut all sugar and caffeine and expected a huge weight loss - nada. I just kept plugging away (since reintroduced sugar and caffeine in moderation), and then, after some months, the weight slid off quickly. Then - nothing. Started to gain the weight back, so I tried harder. Back and forth with the same 5lbs for months, then - those finally went. Had a bad week, a few pounds slid back on...

Talk about frustrating! But, your illustration about the grass reminded me to keep going, keep going, keep going and then bam, the weight will come off. My sister mentioned my body has to take time to adjust to all the changes, which makes sense. We seem to forget that we grow in spurts - do we shrink fat in spurts too?
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was getting nowhere for a while, too, but then I figured out that from where I started, I had been losing about 6 lbs a month, about 1.5 lbs a week. Now, 27 lbs later, I'm pretty happy I've stuck with it and my expectations are much more realistic. You didn't gain it quickly, give it time to come off, too :smile:
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The only person I can ever try to be better than, is the person I was yesterday.
    You will not give up if you truly care about your health. You don't give up on your children (f you have kids), and your mother didn't give up on your, you don't give up on yourself the same way.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There's A LOT of great comments on here...so I'll be brief.

First, DON'T EVER GIVE UP ON GETTING HEALTHY..being healthy, eating healthy-it's not a number on a scale. It's a choice in how to live!

Second, this site can be as helpful as you want/need it to be. Get yourself a good group of supporters as friends, ones who will actually READ your food diary and perhaps offer suggestions or help hold you up when you've had a bad day. One's that will poke you when you haven't logged in for a few days.

Third, remember, the weight didn't come on overnight...it will take time. Make smaller short term goals that will help keep you motivated to always be going forward.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! :)
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You've lost an inch... imagine if you weren't on here how much you would have gained... keep it up. you wont see dramatic results, it takes time!!
  • Heather68462
    Heather68462 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been doing it since November 30, 2011 and have lost 30.2 pounds as of today and I have not lost 1 inch off my waist, so I would say you are doing awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Im really struggling today. I want to see results of my hard work, I NEED to know that what I am doing is working rather than just frustrating me beyond belief.
    Im trying really hard to do it all the right way and do it slowly and all that jazz but it's upsetting to not see it pay off and Im wondering if being here is making it worse because in my eyes, Im sticking within my calories and doing my exercising and all I get out of it is Nothing.
    I had my husband measure me again today and I have been at this now for 2 weeks and have only lost 1 inch in my waist. I don't know if this is normal or abnormal or what. I just know im having one of "those days" I guess.
    I just keep reading and reading and obsessing over this site that I think I have become so confused by how many calories, eat them all or don't and so on.
    I really wanted this change to be a positive one but it feels like it's only bringing me down.
    HELP, I need some words of encouragement!!

HOLY MOLY! cut yourself some slack you lost an INCH in 2 weeks that's AWESOME! the scale didn't start moving for me until i hit a MONTH!!!! and inches took a day or two after that. you didn't gain the weight overnight and it's not going to come off overnight. if you think dramatic results are supposed to happen within X number of days or weeks then you will fail.

you need to pat yourself on you back for loosing an inch.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Be careful on the member created foods.. I found a lot that were not accurate. I know the nutritional content of my food and then find it that way.. kinda messed me up in the beginnin
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    First, I think its great that you are including your husband in your concerns. It can only help if he knows how serious you are.

Next, relax, everyone is different and everyone takes time.
    An inch, every month or two adds up. Think of that one year down the road. Six to twelve inches lost!!!!!

Best to you.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I always find it SO odd that people get discourage even though they ARE making progress.

You have only been at it for 2 weeks? Takes much longer than that
    And you lost an inch! That's awesome

It doesn't happen quick. Give it time
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. Some days it is downright MISERABLE feeling like nothing will ever change.

But the time is going to pass anyway, the question is whether you're going to use the time well, and someday actually REACH the goal you want, or whether you're going to let the absence of a "quick fix" throw you into helplessness.

Hope things work out. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I agree with some other responses. Your progress in only 2 weeks is great. You definitely need to read some forums on setting realistic goals. Also, measurements can be tricky. I would read up on the pitfalls of relying on measurements.

Also, and more importantly, 2 weeks is not enough time for tracking progress. It takes a lot longer than that for your body to understand what is going on. One of the only things that works in 2 weeks is purging (or cleansing or whatever you feel like calling it)...which I do no advise anyone to do almost ever. I usually tell people to take their initial measurements on day 1, then don't look at a scale or tape measure for at least a month. Then not again for another month. Good luck and there is a large community of knowledgeable people here to support you. You can do it, just stick with it and you will be successful if you are doing what you need to!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Way too many carbs and way too little protein in your diet

Defnitely. Try upping your protein; I found this formula helpful:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm. per day

Also make sure you're getting in good nutrition in the 30 mins post workout.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I find with myself, I get discouraged feeling like my progress should be faster than it is...i think that is what is happening with you - buy you are making great progress - when you follow this site you are making life changes - they are slowing than the fad and crash diets - but they are permanent. :-)
    The quick crash diet stuff - when people stop doing that stuff the progress reverses on them.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    So, I just peeked at your food journal (since Sept. 1st). YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!!!!!!! You're working out a lot, and your body needs you to make up for that calorie expenditure by eating. I know it goes against everything we "know" about losing weight, but it's true. My first week, I lost 6 pounds (which I think I just peed out). Then for two weeks... nothing! Grrrrr! Then I changed my settings to lose 1.5 pounds per week, started eating all of the calories MFP gave me (I try really hard not to have more than 50 calories left per day) and the pounds and inches have been coming off steadily ever since! Don't give up. Just tweak what you're doing and watch for changes. They WILL happen!
  • kimoverby
    Options
    I agree with everyone! You're doing great! Keep going and you will see the results eventually! I have a Facebook challenge group starting up October 1st if anyone is interested. We support and hold each other accountable for their efforts. You take before and after pictures, weigh-in and post measurements every Monday, and log your workouts on the Facebook wall every day. I am a Beachbody Coach as well (www.bbcoachkim.com). I am doing TurboFire and Shakeology (www.weightsimplified). You can also find me on Facebook under my page (Beachbody Coach Kim).

Let me know if I can be of any help to anyone. Good luck my friends!! Keep pushing!! You'll get there!! :)
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    Okay. Admittedly I didn't read much more than the open comment so forgive my ignorance on anything that's already been discussed or said.

First are you on this journey with your hubby and using him as a guideline. Don't. My nutritionist told me men lose faster than women, that's just biological mechanics.

Second, WOW, you are doing GREAT! Keep up the awsome work. High five, baby, yeah!
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. it just doesn't take up as much space so you'd lose inches. That whole muscle weighs more than fat is my biggest pet peeve. Sorry.
    You fail.
    You're saying the same thing. This can be put either of two ways.
    'muscle weighs more than fat' means that *for a given volume*, the muscle will be heavier. If you had a cup of fat, and a cup of muscle tissue, the cup of muscle tissue would weigh more on a scale.
    This also works the opposite way.
    'muscle takes up less space than fat' means that *for a given weight/mass of tissue*, the muscle will take up more space. If you weighed out a pound of muscle tissue and a pound of fat, the pound of fat would be bigger.
    Since the pound of fat would be bigger, if you got rid of some of that fat until you had the same volume of fat and muscle, now the fat would be lighter than the same volume of muscle.
    One property; two ways to express it.

(That said, you don't gain a few pounds of muscle in two weeks, so that's not a reason you're not losing weight on a short scale)
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Honestly, track food, track exercise and measure once in a while. Keep working as hard as you can. I stopped caring about the scale because honestly, it hardly ever shows me what I want to see but I get compliments all the time. I got tired of getting sad about it. I keep working out and doing my best because inside it makes me feel good. If it makes a difference outside that is just bonus.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    2 weeks? That's what you have to offer before you're ready to pack it in?

REAL change takes MONTHS sometimes YEARS. If you're not ready to put that kind of effort in, no lifestyle change is right for you.

And BTW you should be happy about the inch lost. Better than gaining an inch in that time.