Maybe This Site Isn't For Me??

Options
12346»

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I had my husband measure me again today and I have been at this now for 2 weeks and have only lost 1 inch in my waist. I don't know if this is normal or abnormal or what.

This is pretty darn good for 2 weeks. If you are expecting more than that, I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Everyone wants to drop the weight NOW but this is going to take time. Looks to me like whatever you are doing IS working. Keep it up.

Agreed! What were you expecting after two weeks? :)

This isn't meant to be snarky- it's a real question. If you were thinking that you were going to be dramatically thinner in two weeks, then you're setting yourself up to fail. A slow and steady loss is the best thing you can do. Sure, seeing the pounds fly off can be gratifying, but the slow loss will allow your skin to keep up and your metabolism to correct itself. You can do this!

You're doing great! One inch off your waist is wonderful! That's the important part! :D
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much and you are so right, 1 inch is pretty awesome. I guess I just needed the reassurance that 1 inch is good.
    Im not giving up, yes I am struggling but I know I am worth so much more than I am giving myself credit for.
    I did change my settings from losing 2 pounds a week to losing 1 a week so I am going to see how that changes things.
    Trust me, I know this is a long journey. I just needed to know that I am on the right path.
    Thank you all so much for helping me to realize that. Im going to accept all the requests and respond to messages, change my diary settings and then off to workout.

Erm...you posted that you were disappointed that you'd only lost an inch, then had 100 people tell you that actually, that's pretty good, and reset your expectations....OK.

Then, once you've kind of accepted that 1" is good, you restate that you are impatient, and just still seem to want to see weight fall off you, but then changed your settings here so that your target is now half the loss it was to start with.

Am I missing something here? Surely if you really, REALLY want it gone, and you are really, REALLY that impatient, then you'd change your settings to lose more than 2lb or leave as they are, not reduce it?

How important is this to you?

Thanks for the encouragement, I really felt it.
    I didn't set out with any expectations except to loose weight. I have never measured my progress by inches so this is all new to me. Im taking the info I see here and trying to adjust things to see if there is any difference. If you have any suggestions as to what I am doing, why not off advice and support rather than telling me I am going about it the wrong way? Seems as if that would be more productive to someone who has no clue as to what I am doing.
  • Daxxes
    Daxxes Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much and you are so right, 1 inch is pretty awesome. I guess I just needed the reassurance that 1 inch is good.
    Im not giving up, yes I am struggling but I know I am worth so much more than I am giving myself credit for.
    I did change my settings from losing 2 pounds a week to losing 1 a week so I am going to see how that changes things.
    Trust me, I know this is a long journey. I just needed to know that I am on the right path.
    Thank you all so much for helping me to realize that. Im going to accept all the requests and respond to messages, change my diary settings and then off to workout.

Erm...you posted that you were disappointed that you'd only lost an inch, then had 100 people tell you that actually, that's pretty good, and reset your expectations....OK.

Then, once you've kind of accepted that 1" is good, you restate that you are impatient, and just still seem to want to see weight fall off you, but then changed your settings here so that your target is now half the loss it was to start with.

Am I missing something here? Surely if you really, REALLY want it gone, and you are really, REALLY that impatient, then you'd change your settings to lose more than 2lb or leave as they are, not reduce it?

How important is this to you?

Thanks for the encouragement, I really felt it.
    I didn't set out with any expectations except to loose weight. I have never measured my progress by inches so this is all new to me. Im taking the info I see here and trying to adjust things to see if there is any difference. If you have any suggestions as to what I am doing, why not off advice and support rather than telling me I am going about it the wrong way? Seems as if that would be more productive to someone who has no clue as to what I am doing.

Actually, reducing your settings to 1# a week is probably a good thing (and recommended by MFP). It allows you to eat more calories which, in turn, may help you to feel more satisfied and able to stick with it long term. As has been stated many times on the board, this is not a race but a marathon. Also, eat your exercise calories back as well. Definitely helps to not feel "deprived". Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • butterflyfairy2
    Options
    So I just want to clarify. When I said that "Maybe this site isn't for me" didn't mean I wanted to give up. I will NOT give up. It just meant that there is much information on this site that I am literally lost. I think I am spending to much time here trying to figure out if what I am doing is right or wrong. I needed to see results in myself to know that what I am doing is working. Yes, 1 inch is fantastic, you all are so right. I should be focusing on that rather than what im not seeing.
    Prior to this I was a fast food junkie and I drank way to much soda. Both have been completely cut out of my diet and I thought those 2 things alone would have shown me bigger results. I know change takes time and I fully accept that.
    Im sorry I even posted this because I think it was taken the wrong way. Im just having a "moment" and needed to get it off my chest.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    So I just want to clarify. When I said that "Maybe this site isn't for me" didn't mean I wanted to give up. I will NOT give up. It just meant that there is much information on this site that I am literally lost. I think I am spending to much time here trying to figure out if what I am doing is right or wrong. I needed to see results in myself to know that what I am doing is working. Yes, 1 inch is fantastic, you all are so right. I should be focusing on that rather than what im not seeing.
    Prior to this I was a fast food junkie and I drank way to much soda. Both have been completely cut out of my diet and I thought those 2 things alone would have shown me bigger results. I know change takes time and I fully accept that.
    Im sorry I even posted this because I think it was taken the wrong way. Im just having a "moment" and needed to get it off my chest.

whether MFP is right for you or not depends on how you use it...or what you hope to gain from it. I think one of the biggest advantages of MFP is the inspiration, motivation and encouragement found all over the place here. It appears from your recent post that, despite the manner in which some of the messages were delivered, this thread alone gave you a new perspective on your early success.

One of my MFP pals posted this blog about what MFP means to her. It meant enough for me to copy the link onto my profile page and read it from time to time. Maybe the blog will be meaningful for you as well. https://mytimebeginsnow.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/my-inspiration/
  • Daxxes
    Daxxes Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ... there is much information on this site that I am literally lost. I think I am spending to much time here trying to figure out if what I am doing is right or wrong.

Try reading this post (don't let the title throw you off - lol) Excellent post with lots of common sense. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/635529-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag?hl=sidesteel
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I also meant to say that cutting out soda and fast food are GREAT things. However, just as you didn't gain 50 pounds from eating fast food and drinking soda over two weeks, you're not going to lose it all just because you stopped it for two weeks. (NOTE: I just used 50 pounds as an example...feel free to plug in whatever number it is that you want to lose to get to healthy).

Getting healthy takes persistent consistency. It takes digging deep to find the real reasons you want to get healthy...writing those reasons down...and reviewing them often to stay motivated. It takes time. But, doing it the right way will mean a better chance of staying healthy once you find your good health.

Remember, every one of us has an amazing story within us. Its up to you to write the pages.
  • dbriggs9
    dbriggs9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It is a process. It isn't easy or fast. But... you will start seeing results and it will be worth it :-) Hang in there!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Way too many carbs and way too little protein in your diet

This^

Way too many unhealthy carbs and where's the healthy fats and proteins? Forget the "low fat, diet" stuff and the artificial sweeteners. IMO.

Your one inch loss off your waist is great progress, btw. It might be beneficial for you, both for long term health and weight loss, to start eating more whole foods WITH healthy fats and proteins.
  • Dreamer058
    Options
    I think you are doing great! I had to put the scale away. I was always hoping on and expecting to drop pounds every time. This didn't work. I've tried for years and years only sticking to it for days or a week at a time. Just couldn't do it any longer. Recently it finally clicked. I am not expecting too much. A little at a time. If you are sticking to it, keep at it. I agree, it will come off. You can always re-evaluate if need be.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This took 7 months and in that time I have lost 40lbs, lost 25 inches over all (meaning not just my waist and hips) and have gone from dying with 1 mile in 19:58 to going 5 miles in under 90 mins (all hills). My point is that you have to put all these different items in perspective. Have I lost as much as the other person, No but I have made big changes... That is what I'm proud of. Take pics with clothes and without clothes (once a month), measure (Everything) (once a month), get a pair of jeans and try them on every 2 weeks, and for heaven sake please measure your workouts (can you go longer, lift more, breath easier ect). It is not about the number on a scale!
  • butterflyfairy2
    Options

This^

Way too many unhealthy carbs and where's the healthy fats and proteins? Forget the "low fat, diet" stuff and the artificial sweeteners. IMO.

Your one inch loss off your waist is great progress, btw. It might be beneficial for you, both for long term health and weight loss, to start eating more whole foods WITH healthy fats and proteins.

Im guessing you are refering to the Splenda in my coffee and the cottage cheese?
    If I used enough sugar to get my coffee the way I liked it, it would not be pretty lol
    Does the cottage cheese imply that im on a "lowfat" diet? If it does, I apologize because Im not following any specific type of diet, It's just the type I prefer.
    I can't drink or use a lot of dairy products as it affects my asthma. When I do drink milk, I drink fat free.
  • KaraJ22
    Options
    In the past I personally didn't start to see any results until the end of week 3.

My only other recommendation is try not eat back the calories burned from exercise if you can, as I find the exercise calories are highly variable. Some treadmills say you burn 400 calories in 30 min, others say 200 for the same workout.
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Im trying really hard to do it all the right way and do it slowly and all that jazz but it's upsetting to not see it pay off and Im wondering if being here is making it worse because in my eyes, Im sticking within my calories and doing my exercising and all I get out of it is Nothing.

Don't stress out! You haven't been at it for very long. Losing 1" in the waist in 2 weeks is awesome! Chances are, if you lost an inch in the waist, you probably also lost an inch (or thereabouts) around the other parts of your body as well. If you added up those inches, that's a lot of inches!

Always try to keep this in mind. How long did it take you to gain the weight? For me, it certainly wasn't overnight or over a 2 week period. I gained it over a looooong period of time of bad eating and living a sedantary lifestyle. If it took you a while to gain the weight, it's going to take you a while to lose it. You can't shed it overnight. You wouldn't want to anyway. The excess skin from fast weight loss would be awful!

You just need to stick with it. The big results will show in due time. You can do it!!! I'm rooting for you!
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    1 inch is friggen awesome. Don't give up. Anything worth doing is worth the hard work that goes into it.

The End doesn't justify the means, but rather the means justify the End.
  • optigal
    optigal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You are expecting far too much far too quickly.. you've given it 2 weeks and don't think the results are worth it?

Results do not happen in 2 weeks. You did not gain all your weight in 2 weeks.

You've lost 1 inch, this is progress...

2 weeks is such a short time and 1 inch lost is fantastic. Keep up the GOOD WORK!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

This^

Im guessing you are refering to the Splenda in my coffee and the cottage cheese?
    If I used enough sugar to get my coffee the way I liked it, it would not be pretty lol
    Does the cottage cheese imply that im on a "lowfat" diet? If it does, I apologize because Im not following any specific type of diet, It's just the type I prefer.
    I can't drink or use a lot of dairy products as it affects my asthma. When I do drink milk, I drink fat free.

I was attempting to be helpful. If my advice/opinion doesn't fit, then ignore it. I too used to sweeten my coffee a lot (honey). Now I've learned to only use cream or coconut oil/butter/cinnamon and, only occasionally for a special treat: quarter teaspoon of honey. I'm not at all indicating that dairy is healthy, it's one of my weak spots, but full fat things like cheese and heavy cream are ok for me. Milk makes me sick too, with mucous overload, bloating and gas. The reason that I've pointed out that your protein and fat may be too low, is that can also hinder your progress and make it harder to feel "full" after eating. At least for me. I don't at all think you should eat like me, but I won't be the only one suggesting that more fat and protein might be beneficial.