Fiancés family....

Options

Replies

• missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You need to reconsider your marriage. Honestly.

These are things that will not just be issues at your wedding, they will be there when you want to decorate for Xmas and have them over, it will happen when you have children and they won't come to birthday parties.

You need to discuss this seriously with your finance BEFORE you get married. If you don't it will erode your relationship with your finace's family and your relationship with your fiance.

I was married once and got divorced over really important things we didn't discuss before marriage. Trust me, this issue won't go away.
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Here is his stand point

He is not religious. He and I just had a long conversation about holidays and kids.
    He said he will celebrate holidays with me and our kids.

I was just wondering if I should be stepping on eggshells around his families religion or if I should plan it the way I want it.
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    compleatly off topic, but my god there is a lot of profile pics with cleavage in this thread... what gives?

also, you need to take a step back and ask yourself if you are in love with him, or the thought of getting married.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Also expect him to teach your kids the TRUTH behind these festivities.

You gotta love a religion which refers to themselves as being "in the truth"
    Hello Lucky,
    Reguardless of how I refer to myself, almost every holiday can be traced to factual events.
    Perhaps you should re-read my statement before jumping on your soap box.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Work is slow.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    compleatly off topic, but my god there is a lot of profile pics with cleavage in this thread... what gives?

It's Boobie Friday, my friend. I didn't participate because I don't have a pretty cleavage shot. But it sure does pretty up the boards ;)
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's not how "you" want...it is how you and your fiance want. Not you alone. You and him.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Here is his stand point

He is not religious. He and I just had a long conversation about holidays and kids.

I was just wondering if I should be stepping on eggshells around his families religion or if I should plan it the way I want it.

but.... why is this conversation just NOW being had? Why not before he "put the ring on it"? Also, did you ask him what he thought about walking on eggshells around his family?
  • kaisawheel
    kaisawheel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Here is his stand point

This depends on whether he wants his family to attend. If he does, you may need to give up ornamental items for your Fiance's happiness. If you can't or are not willing to do that, then he should reconsider marrying you.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

F it, ask Jeeves
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Here is his stand point

OK.. he is not religion. That takes care of a few problems that your marriage is going to have.
    With that in mind, I suppose it comes down to what YOU feel is important.
    Which is more important?
    A: Holiday decorations which is sure to insult his family?

B: Tasteful decorations which will make both his family and YOUR HUSBAND happy?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The response from the HANDSOME Jehovah's Witness above is the most insightful and well-thought-out comment here. Take it to heart, weigh your options, and wait to make such a big decision until you have settled all those "little" issues with your fiance.
    Fixed it for ya.

Haha, my mistake! Proceed, sir.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Here is his stand point

It still boils down to the fact that you value your own decorating whims over their RELIGION. Over their ability to attend your wedding and celebrate with you. And apparently over your fiancé's objections, since he made it clear he didn't want Christmas ornaments.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

F it, ask Jeeves

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Totally NOT being snarky here but what is "the TRUTH" behind these festivities?

*Please note that I am a non-practicing Catholic who attends holiday functions for the family get together, food and booze. In all seriousness I'd really prefer to just skip them all.*
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have two different religious backgrounds and before we even had children or got married we sat down and talked about how it would affect things.

My husbands family are Catholic ( he is very lasped but his mum is devout) and one of the things we had to discuss is the fact that any children we had would not be bought up as Catholic and how would his family deal with that. When we did have our daughter we were very honest about it and his family has never even asked about a christening etc.

When we got married we had a humanist ceremony that incorporated a few traditions found in a hand fasting. We found this was the best way to compromise and not have a ceremony where people would feel uncomfortable. At the end of the day a wedding is also about two families joining.

If you are mature enough to get married you have to be mature enough to talk openly and honestly about such matters and be able to compromise.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Also: who's paying for this wedding?
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Woah. 8 pages? Really?

Work is slow.

slow here too lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

You gotta love a religion which refers to themselves as being "in the truth"
    Hello Lucky,
    Reguardless of how I refer to myself, almost every holiday can be traced to factual events.
    Perhaps you should re-read my statement before jumping on your soap box.

So do you *not* use that phrase?

My aunt does.

Her language:
    person who is JW from birth="raised in the truth"
    any current JW="in the truth"
    any ostracized members= "out of the truth"

Perhaps it's just her own quirk. Except everyone in her hall speaks the same way.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Also: who's paying for this wedding?

I volunteer
This discussion has been closed.