Fiancés family....

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A person who hates family decides to marry a man whose family is forbidden from associating with people outside of their religion?

I think you guys just don't appreciate the brilliance in her strategy here.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    If you don't love him enough to give up holidays for him, then you don't love him enough to get married.

I really do think you need to reconsider this whole situation. They take their religion very seriously. It is a huge part of their life. It's not something they're going to 'get over'. For them it's a way of life. Asking them to just 'get over it', is like asking a Vegan to eat meat at a BBQ because you're the one hosting the BBQ and you're only serving meat.

Respect goes both ways and I'd say you are being very disrespectful to expect them to just ignore their beliefs to suit you.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options
    This is a joke right? RIGHT!?! You obviously love christmas so why pick someone who hates it? Or whose family will give u **** for celebrating it? Or someone who yells at you when you show him christmas cards?....this is fake right?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    a 20... you have kids... plural. Is it with this guy?
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The MFP forums are always the right place to ask what your future husband's religion is

LMAO
  • angelicarubi
    angelicarubi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ok. Because Aj just yelled at me for showing him ornament name cards and was like " what's ornaments used for amber?" I was like... Christmas? And then he's like use your brain. My family will not come if there are ornaments or anything involving Christmas. 

I'm like what the **** dude!!! You wanted a wedding in the winter. This is what's gonna be around. 

Then I mentioned I wanted to do the wedding around Christmas (his family shouldn't have a problem with that... But if course they will...) because I want to see the Christmas tree lighting in Leavenworth. He's like you can go by yourself. Hmmm does this mean we won't celebrate Christmas either??? Because if not, im not getting married to him. Plain and simple. I need a supportive husband and father to my kids who will celebrate holidays and not make them feel like **** because they believe in Santa. 

You really should talk to him and rethink your marriage.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I know... my in-laws were appalled that I wanted pentagrams at the bloodletting altar of my winter solstice ceremony! THE NERVE.

You are a bigot and way too young to get married. And you're a snotty bride.

This is awful... you make the rest of us witches look bad by mixing your judgemental attitude with references to magick.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...don't get your fancy panties in a bunch there..... I don't judge wiccan, pagan, JW or any other religion for that matter. I was proving a point, which is that the OP's attitudes are ridiculous - if you translate the ideal to another religion it becomes much more obvious.

Lastly, I used the term pentagram as opposed to pentacle (i.e. satanism as opposed to wiccan)...

Huh, interesting how things in type can be interpreted in totally different ways. Can't speak for the person who posted it but I took that response to be a funny wink wink nudge nudge comment.

Me too

Huh. Well, if that's the case I'll stand corrected and feel like a heel. I don't want to disrespect anybody (except people that are making really bad life-changing decisions, of course.)
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    P.S. This is your third topic about your wedding, on a fitness/weight loss website. Maybe try a wedding forum?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Now, do you mind giving me a spot?
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options
    I was engaged to a Witness.

Get out. Get out now.

WAS! -excited-
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I know... my in-laws were appalled that I wanted pentagrams at the bloodletting altar of my winter solstice ceremony! THE NERVE.

This is awful... you make the rest of us witches look bad by mixing your judgemental attitude with references to magick.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...don't get your fancy panties in a bunch there..... I don't judge wiccan, pagan, JW or any other religion for that matter. I was proving a point, which is that the OP's attitudes are ridiculous - if you translate the ideal to another religion it becomes much more obvious.

Lastly, I used the term pentagram as opposed to pentacle (i.e. satanism as opposed to wiccan)...

Huh, interesting how things in type can be interpreted in totally different ways. Can't speak for the person who posted it but I took that response to be a funny wink wink nudge nudge comment.

No winking or nudging here... actually slightly offended thinking about "Satanists" celebrating a Pagan holiday, considering Pagans don't believe in Satan. But I digress... I'm not fancy, just don't think you should be so mean towards someone you don't even know. It's not unusual for 20 year old girls to have Disney-esque wedding ideals. Just sayin'.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Ok. Because Aj just yelled at me for showing him ornament name cards and was like " what's ornaments used for amber?" I was like... Christmas? And then he's like use your brain. My family will not come if there are ornaments or anything involving Christmas. 

I'm like what the **** dude!!! You wanted a wedding in the winter. This is what's gonna be around. 

Then I mentioned I wanted to do the wedding around Christmas (his family shouldn't have a problem with that... But if course they will...) because I want to see the Christmas tree lighting in Leavenworth. He's like you can go by yourself. Hmmm does this mean we won't celebrate Christmas either??? Because if not, im not getting married to him. Plain and simple. I need a supportive husband and father to my kids who will celebrate holidays and not make them feel like **** because they believe in Santa. 

Not to cause an uproar- but if you haven't even been with him long enough to know if he celebrates Christmas or not then why the he!l are you getting married so soon???
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Are you serious?? You are engaged and you haven't even talked about this? You are SO not ready to get married.

Im sorry but tue.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I KNOW! There already IS a bun in the oven!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

No winking or nudging here... actually slightly offended thinking about "Satanists" celebrating a Pagan holiday, considering Pagans don't believe in Satan. But I digress... I'm not fancy, just don't think you should be so mean towards someone you don't even know. It's not unusual for 20 year old girls to have Disney-esque wedding ideals. Just sayin'.

Are you new here?
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Advice. 

I know im young. I'll be 21 on Sunday. But is it considered self centered and unacceptable that I think my fiancés family should get over themselves about the holiday ****? His family are jahovahs witnesses. Which is fine. Im not a religious person. But If we have a winter wedding or any wedding for this matter that I can not have anything involving holidays (ornaments, candy canes, new years sparklers, valentines day hearts or cards, etc) and if I do, his family refuses to show up because it's against their religion to be anywhere involving holidays. 

Is it wrong for me to get pissed off because I can't have holiday stuff (if I wanted it... On MY DAY) due to his family being religious???

Feedback would be great. 

Hey your 21 go and see the world date other men have a life before you settle down. Remeber you can chose freinds but your stuck with the inlaws and the twisted stuff some may bring to the table, and once you have kids the twisted stuff only get worse and the kids are used as pawns. If they have the trouble now with the holidays then it will alaways be a issue. good luck to you,
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Can someone please pass me some popcorn?
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I posted something about my (exhusband now) on a wedding forum about 8 years ago...everyone told me I need to slow down and it probably was not a good idea to get married. I thought everyone was stupid and didn't know anything about me because my situation was DIFFERENT....well we got married and 8 miserable years later got divorced. Thankfully no children from that marriage but I later saw all the red flags that I was too blinded to see at first.

Almost every girl is in love with the idea of having a fancy wedding and is blinded by anything else....stop planning your wedding, go to some premarital counseling so you can be sure that this marriage is going to work. I know that even at 25 things came up that i never thought to discuss before a wedding...counseling can help you with those things.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I KNOW! There already IS a bun in the oven!

My thoughts exactly!
  • Dedicatediva
    Dedicatediva Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it's only fair that you respect there religion but why would you have a holiday themed wedding?
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Are you new here?

Newly back to MFP but I'm all too familiar with the petty jabs people take at those they believe are inferior in order to boost their own self-esteem.
This discussion has been closed.