What do people do to annoy you while you're working out?

Options

Replies

• flirzhja
    Options
    They do nothing to me but omg how their stink emanates from them.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Some of you all need to lighten up.

So what if someone wears makeup to the gym? Maybe she just came from work... maybe she works nights. Maybe she just came from an overnight date! Kudos to her for getting to the gym after. Maybe she's insecure and doesn't feel like she can even set foot in public without the makeup. So what if someone isn't working hard? How does that affect you? I can see people getting snippy if someone isn't re-racking their weights or is leaving the machines all nasty, but the fact that someone might return texts? Really? Maybe that person has 5 kids at home and the texts are from the babysitter.

I can't help but notice how many people get on their "I don't judge anyone's decisions" soapboxes on the weightier topics of the day, but discuss something so asinine and judgmental attitudes are rampant. I find it weird.

anim_37.gif
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I hate hate hate how the guys in the weight room offer unsolicited advice. Since I've been pretty regular for a year now, most of them know me now and make nice comments about how awesome it is to see a girl doing compound lifts with heavy weights... But every once in a while one will do something obnoxious like try to correct my form (when I was doing it right) or the most obnoxious: I log my workouts using the fitocracy app, I was checking to see what weight I should use for something and a guy came and points to my phone and goes "is that thing really helping you?" as in I should be off my phone at the gym. 1) it's my work out and I can do it with any intensity I choose & 2) I am a beast, so it pissed me off that he questioned my dedication & 3) yes, the app is amazing and really does help!

1) maybe you were doing it wrong and someone finally had the balls to tell you that you were ridiculous
    2) you are a beast, that's it - but probably spelled differently
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    People doing bicep curls and bench presses and other such things in the squat racks.

It's fine if you're the only one there or if there are other ones open, but when they are all in use and there are people waiting to use them, go do your friggin bicep curls somewhere else!! Rude.

my old gym had like 6 benches for doing bench presses, and most of them were available, but this one guy for some reason decided to drag a bench under the bar in the squat rack and do them there. WTF? And he was there doing them for a LONG time. Like 20 minutes he was in there doing that.

You know the difference between a power rack and a squat rack? sounds like you do not. I now see where you get your wisdom from though so thnks for helping.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I exersize outside i dont do the gym Well it would be the staring and etheir people waving that you dont know or the honking or some crap its like go away i have work to do lol
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when I'm on a piece of equipment and there's people circling like a vulture waiting for me to get off. Or people who consistently stare like "what the hell are you doing here" like larger people should be banned from the gym. I'm at a gym that was known to be directed for body builders, and of course a lot of them still go for weights... so the thought of a larger person on their equipment seems to bother them so bad.

That's really strange. You know, so many times, I thought of going up to a larger person and giving them a hug! But I'm afraid I would offend them. I'd be proud to be in the gym, as a larger person. It says, "I know I'm big, but I'm here to do something about it, unlike all the other people in the world."
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I hate when people try to read the calories you burned on your machine! That bothers me A LOT! I dont know why, but to me, its like they are competing with me. I come to the gym to improve myself, not to compete.
  • Thundermtn
    Options
    CELL PHONES!!!!!!! :mad: All gyms need to ban them.

^^ what she said
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When I did work out (years ago), there were the RUDEST people I've ever had to deal with - I'd hear animal noises!

MOO! OINK! MOO!

:mad:
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I lived in paris it always annoyed me when the trourism touts were trying to sell me keychains when I'm jogging outside (do I look like I'm gonna stop and buy a keychain? I dont even have pockets!). They would actually step in front of me and jangle that big metal hoop full of keychains at me, threw me off my stride from time to time.

At the gym, I got easily annoyed at everything, even those little wispy bits of hair that dangled right in front of my eyes, so I knew full well things that annoyed me at the gym probably weren't THAT annoying, I was just annoyed anyway. But drinking a coffee while 'working out' on the only cycling machine that works? Come on.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Really I'm pretty mellow, and most of the people at my gym are lovely. But:

1) The guy who would sit on a bench and pick his nose. And then lick his fingers. (He already annoyed me for constantly hogging up the bench resting, and then one time I glanced over to see if he was EVER going to start his next set and then my horrified eyes were trapped. It still haunts my nightmares.)

and

2) The guy who I see almost every morning, who loads up 8 billion pounds on the bar and then sits on the bench under it to drink his coffee.
  • I hate it when no hot men are in front of me lifting weights. A little eye candy never hurts. Today there were none. Bummer...I made it through somehow though. :sad:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    When I need to use a machine and someone is just sitting on it talking to someone else. Either use the machine or get off!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and it drives me nuts when someong interrupts me when i'm in the middle of something. Tonight I was doing jumping jacks and my son comes in the doorway and stares at me and then says, "Mom?"..."What D?"...."I just wanted to say Hi" Now my son is 15 and is high functioning autism but REALLY????? He knows better but does it all the time.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I hate it when no hot men are in front of me lifting weights. A little eye candy never hurts. Today there were none. Bummer...I made it through somehow though. :sad:

:laugh: Totally agree with you!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    1. when people talk while standing on the machines or in the way
    2. when people see you standing there waiting and they simply dog around (they should let you work in but that is gym etiquette that not many people seem to know.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    too cute:glasses:
    I hate it when no hot men are in front of me lifting weights. A little eye candy never hurts. Today there were none. Bummer...I made it through somehow though. :sad:

:laugh: Totally agree with you!
  • NVM87
    NVM87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hate people that stare. It makes me self conscience when I'm in the zone.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When people do the 30 min circuit backwards or hop on the machine 1 station in front of you 30 seconds before the switch... So inconsiderate
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My major gym peeve is when someone sits on a machine, not using it, and just chats with somebody. I was on the elliptical the other day for 15 minutes and the entire time I was on it there was a girl casually sitting on an ab machine right in front of me (the only one like it, so if someone wanted to use it they had no other option) talking with somebody. She was no using the machine at all, granted she probably was before the conversation started but come on, get off of it! This drives me nuts, it's so inconsiderate.

This! Alot of guys at my university gym do this, then if you ask them if you can cycle in, (since their rest is like 10 min after every set!), they get really annoyed with you. I'm just want to say, "Really! you've been sitting here doing nothing I just need this machine for 30 sec and I'll be outta your hair!"