Chicks that drive stick

Options
AllTehBeers
AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
Sorry to disappoint some, but this is really about my car.

So since I could drive, I've driven stick. I learned how to drive in my dad's old 5 speed truck and both cars I've owned have been manual. I love the feeling of control, the growl of the engine when I downshift through a turn and the awesome gas milage. But, my favorite part is when a guy sees my ride, lifts his eyebrows and says, "you know how to drive stick?" The most awesome feeling ever.

How many of my fellow ladies drive a stick? Do you guys think its cool if a chick drives one or does it not matter to you? Does anyone even care since this post has nothing to do about sex?

Replies

• Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Er...always. Most uk cars are manual and so we all pass our tests on a manual ( if you pass in an automatic you can only ever drive one) not hot just normal!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    ... The last question best applies.

I like a girl who can drive a stick, I'm often disappointed to a slight degree if she's incapable of doing so, but I don't care if her car is actually auto or standard.

I drive an automatic but only because it's so damned hard to find a cheap vehicle that's a standard.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint some, but this is really about my car.

So since I could drive, I've driven stick. I learned how to drive in my dad's old 5 speed truck and both cars I've owned have been manual. I love the feeling of control, the growl of the engine when I downshift through a turn and the awesome gas milage. But, my favorite part is when a guy sees my ride, lifts his eyebrows and says, "you know how to drive stick?" The most awesome feeling ever.

How many of my fellow ladies drive a stick? Do you guys think its cool if a chick drives one or does it not matter to you? Does anyone even care since this post has nothing to do about sex?

I'm English, and pretty much everyone in England learns to drive a manual car. I don't know many people here who drive an automatic.

When I went to America I found it weird driving an automatic, but since we picked up the car in San Francisco I was pretty glad as I didn't fancy driving on the other side of the road AND tackling those hills having to change gear myself!

I have driven a manual in France and Switzerland though.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely my preference!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Er...always. Most uk cars are manual and so we all pass our tests on a manual ( if you pass in an automatic you can only ever drive one) not hot just normal!

Yep - agree with the above, it would have been weird here to learn to drive in an automatic! I don't like driving automatic anyway - it feels like you have a lot less control over the car.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If a girl doesn't know how to handle a stick.........................
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Understandable. I don't see many people my age who drive stick unless they're dudes with sports cars.
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my stick:) Much more fun than driving an automatic!
  • EastCoast_Girl
    Options
    I Love driving stick!
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yup I sure do drive a stick! Right now its a 6-speed accord coupe. Its my preference for sure!
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    I love my Subaru and the fact that it is stick. That is all I have ever driven.My husband's car is an automatic, and I feel so wierd driving it. It is a great feeling when people find out that I can drive stick. My grandmother is 66 and still doesn't know how to.. and she probably never will.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

Shift into neutral. I'm lazy like that.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I almost killed my friends little GEO when she was teaching me how to drive stick. Sad story (on my behalf). I still want to learn because even though most vehicles now-days are automatic I still want to have the feeling of success when I can finally handle shifting w/o "grrrrrrrrinnnnd" noise.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options

I downshift as much as possible before taking it out of gear.. my first clutch lasted for over 10 years in my subaru... It was the original that my came in the car when my family bought it... I plan on having the new clutch last just as long.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    If a girl doesn't know how to handle a stick.........................

Hehe... Hey! Keep it clean. :p
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I put the car in first gear once I stop at a light and put the handbrake on.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Does anyone even care since this post has nothing to do about sex?

No. Haha.

I personally never tried to learn how to drive a stick.. Not that I wouldn't want to learn, but it's just more convenient to have an automatic.

How else am I supposed to drink coffee, text, fiddle with my stereo, put on makeup, and steer with my knees at the same time?

Edit: Before Sarah McLachlan starts playing and someone approaches the podium with a story about someone they know dying in a car crash caused by someone not paying attention behind the wheel: I'm kidding.
  • singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My Mom who taught me to drive made me learn on a stick. She said "that way you can drive anything". I currently drive a standard only cause I couldn't get one in a stick. But I love to hop in the hubby's Jeep every once in awhile just to refresh myself!!! lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I put the car in first gear once I stop at a light and put the handbrake on.

with the clutch in, then.