Chicks that drive stick

Options

Replies

• atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I drive a stick and wouldnt have it any other way..
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US and definitely prefer stick. Right now I have a 6-speed '12 mini cooper s. I don't really care if other women can drive stck or not, but it is a good skill to have just in case.

I must say though, I can't stand to hear anyone bragging about their AUTOMATIC mustang. That's just blasphemous.

I know right?? My brother bought a new new mitsubishi eclipse. It was automatic. I'm like wtf?
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I drove stick for at least a decade and loved it. However, when my kid was on the way, I traded in my coupe for a sedan, which just happened to be automatic. I really do miss driving stick. It gives you much more of a sense of control when driving. And it's just nice to know how to do it. I think it is probably a vanishing art.

I had to edit this post when I just remembered that my current car is one of those "automatic/manual" deals. I forgot because I don't really get how the "automatic manual" transmission works without the clutch, and my husband and I figured using it would just end up blowing the transmission fast, so we decided not to. It really seems like kind of a silly idea, either make it automatic or make it manual - don't try to do both.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    And what cars do you drive? When I went to America the cars all seemed so huge! I've got a Vauxhall Zafira, which is a people carrier, which is a medium sized car I guess, or at least it is in the UK. My 1st car was a Ford KA and was tiny! I drove a Beetle convertible for a while, before I had children.

saturn-sc2-04.jpg

I don't know what car that is, but it looks nice and I like the colour.

Saturn sc2. Awesome.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

I put the car in first gear once I stop at a light and put the handbrake on.
    And keep my left foot passed down on the clutch to avoid stalling :)

That goes without saying! I don't even really think about how I drive, I just do it!

I'm exactly the same - you could say that we drive a manual transmission on automatic ;)
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My dad made all of us learn on a manual. He said that way if we were out with friends or something and they were to drunk to drive home, or got hurt, we could drive anyones car home. I loved it. But when I got older and started having trouble with my lower back I had to stop. I miss it sometimes.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint some, but this is really about my car.

So since I could drive, I've driven stick. I learned how to drive in my dad's old 5 speed truck and both cars I've owned have been manual. I love the feeling of control, the growl of the engine when I downshift through a turn and the awesome gas milage. But, my favorite part is when a guy sees my ride, lifts his eyebrows and says, "you know how to drive stick?" The most awesome feeling ever.

How many of my fellow ladies drive a stick? Do you guys think its cool if a chick drives one or does it not matter to you? Does anyone even care since this post has nothing to do about sex?

I'm English, and pretty much everyone in England learns to drive a manual car. I don't know many people here who drive an automatic.

When I went to America I found it weird driving an automatic, but since we picked up the car in San Francisco I was pretty glad as I didn't fancy driving on the other side of the road AND tackling those hills having to change gear myself!

I have driven a manual in France and Switzerland though.

Yeah... even after years of driving stick, the hills of San Francisco were a nightmare. People always get too close behind you and you roll back... To be honest, I'm not that fond of going up the steep hills even in an automatic; I always have the sensation I'm going to roll back.
  • krim12
    krim12 Posts: 102
    Options
    I used to drive a stick shift car all the time, but since I have 4 kids I drive a tahoe and i am pretty sure that they only come as a manual. Before kids i had a 5 speed Mustang GT and I LOVED it. People would always be surprised that it was a 5 speed I guess cuz Im a girl...but who wants a mustang that isnt a 5 speed?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    In fact, I did assume you were talking about driving with a manual transmission.
    And I do prefer them and drive one.
    I learned to drive in a manual, and have always driven one.
    Except when all my children are with me (I have 5) in which case, I actually like an automatic for concentration's sake.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I learned to drive in my Dad's Toyota pickup with manual transmission, put in 4-Low, so I was able to shift into 4th gear before reaching 20 mph. The first car I bought was a stick - which I didn't take into consideration when driving into downtown Seattle the next day for work (BIG hills) - but I dealt with it just fine. I currently have an automatic, but I do miss the manual. Since most people in the US drive automatics, I still find it pretty hot when a guy can drive a stick. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I find it such a turn off when I guy can't drive manual.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Chicks who can drive a stick shift are definitely hot. My girlfriend can't drive a stick, and has never been able to drive my car. I understand that some people just dont want to learn, but when i meet a girl who knows how to drive stick, it's a big plus, for her, in my mind.
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love driving a stick and my car is a 6 speed.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

I put the car in first gear once I stop at a light and put the handbrake on.
    And keep my left foot passed down on the clutch to avoid stalling :)

That goes without saying! I don't even really think about how I drive, I just do it!

I'm exactly the same - you could say that we drive a manual transmission on automatic ;)

Yep :smile:

The most scary driving experience for me was picking up a car at Geneva airport and having to drive into France, then up into the alps, in a little Citroën C2! This is without a sat nav. In fact, I've never used a sat nav in my life!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Love driving a 5 speed and it's all I've ever known. I'm much more in control when I can downshift without braking. I drive faster and accelerate faster off of a stop light when I'm driving an automatic I noticed. Also, I wouldn't have a toned left leg if i drove an automatic. :)
  • filangieri
    filangieri Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love driving stick, even though I live in NYC and drive in traffic most of the time!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    This must be an American thing, because as others have said previously, most UK cars are manual. Pretty much everyone here drives one, so it's just the norm :)

That said, I do like driving one and even though I've never driven an automatic, I think I'd prefer manual.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jeep girl so I usually drive a standard. I just read an article that standard transmissions are becoming more rare because people prefer automatics. What is the point of an automatic transmission in a Jeep?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    yep i drive one. its the best
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ever since I got my first car, they have always been stick! I remember my Dad repeatedly asking me, "Are you SURE you want a manual?" to which I replied, "YES" and or course he had to add that I was going to regret it and a few years later, I made sure to tell him that I have never once regretted buying manual cars!

Currently have a VW TDI Jetta wagon (kids and dogs)...love manual diesel even better than gas! The torque you get is awesome and makes driving that much smoother (in mho)!