Chicks that drive stick

Options

Replies

• Jen92129
    Jen92129 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drive my ancient first generation 1990 Miata MX-5 and she's got standard transmission. I also have an Explorer that's automatic, but nothing feels as sporty as a stick. The larger family vehicles will probably always be automatic for ease when we travel (two kids, both 6'1" and 6'3", 6' tall husband, and a full size german shepherd dog) but my personal commuter cars will always be manual :)
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

I put the car in first gear once I stop at a light and put the handbrake on.
    And keep my left foot passed down on the clutch to avoid stalling :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    And what cars do you drive? When I went to America the cars all seemed so huge! I've got a Vauxhall Zafira, which is a people carrier, which is a medium sized car I guess, or at least it is in the UK. My 1st car was a Ford KA and was tiny! I drove a Beetle convertible for a while, before I had children.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Do you press in and hold the clutch or shift into neutral while approaching a stop sign or red light?

I downshift as much as possible before taking it out of gear.. my first clutch lasted for over 10 years in my subaru... It was the original that my came in the car when my family bought it... I plan on having the new clutch last just as long.

My sporty little number is 13 years old and I just replaced my clutch. Here's to hoping it keeps on keepin on.
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I currently drive an automatic, but I know how to drive a manual transmission. :)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

I put the car in first gear once I stop at a light and put the handbrake on.
    And keep my left foot passed down on the clutch to avoid stalling :)

That goes without saying! I don't even really think about how I drive, I just do it!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Nobody here drives an automatic...It would be totally embarrassing to admit to anyone that you can't actually drive a manual car! A monkey could drive an automatic.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Does anyone even care since this post has nothing to do about sex?

No. Haha.

I personally never tried to learn how to drive a stick.. Not that I wouldn't want to learn, but it's just more convenient to have an automatic.

How else am I supposed to drink coffee, text, fiddle with my stereo, put on makeup, and steer with my knees at the same time?

Edit: Before Sarah McLachlan starts playing and someone approaches the podium with a story about someone they know dying in a car crash caused by someone not paying attention behind the wheel: I'm kidding.

Lol! Love.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Er...always. Most uk cars are manual and so we all pass our tests on a manual ( if you pass in an automatic you can only ever drive one) not hot just normal!

Yep - agree with the above, it would have been weird here to learn to drive in an automatic! I don't like driving automatic anyway - it feels like you have a lot less control over the car.

ditto

I had to drive a automatic company car just to move it in the carport. never again !
  • muchloved
    Options
    Chicks with sticks ROCK!!!!!!!! I absolutely love my 2006 Saturn ION 5 speed stick. It is great with the gas milage and I have had minimal car repairs. Most smaller models of current car makers do offer manual options here in the States and, as a bonus, they are usually 2-3 thounsand dollars less than there automatic counter parts. And yes, driving stick does impress the boys ALL THE TIME!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    And what cars do you drive? When I went to America the cars all seemed so huge! I've got a Vauxhall Zafira, which is a people carrier, which is a medium sized car I guess, or at least it is in the UK. My 1st car was a Ford KA and was tiny! I drove a Beetle convertible for a while, before I had children.

saturn-sc2-04.jpg
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Im not responding with anything interesting to say lol

I didnt even know what "chicks that drive stick" meant, had to read to comment 2.

that is all :P
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US and definitely prefer stick. Right now I have a 6-speed '12 mini cooper s. I don't really care if other women can drive stck or not, but it is a good skill to have just in case.

I must say though, I can't stand to hear anyone bragging about their AUTOMATIC mustang. That's just blasphemous.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I drive a 5-speed :) LOVE IT! Many people ARE shocked when they see that I can drive a standard. I learned how to drive on it, and I love the feeling of control that I have with it. I had break failure in an old car that was automatic and I wished at that point that I had my manual transmission because I could have slowed down at least some without using the breaks. I am also a down-shifter unless I have to break quickly... but even then i'll throw it into 2nd or 3rd (depending on how fast i'm going) to help me brake quicker. I am also love to "balance" between my clutch and gas and not use the brake at all. I don't do it often though because I don't want to confuse the person behind me with no brake lights. It also doesn't work on a hill because you could really damage the car.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I know how, however, with a baby in the car, i decided it better to get an automatic. However I definitely miss it. If i ever get my "play" vehicle, i'll be getting a manual jeep wrangler!!! Love it!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I drive in the Uk so passed in a manual car, no biggie to us Brit girls.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    I do!
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I drive a stick...I love it <3
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

saturn-sc2-04.jpg

I don't know what car that is, but it looks nice and I like the colour.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Since I learned how, I prefer driving stick. I drive an '87 Mustang 5.0 and stick is the only way to go with these cars. It also allows me to get to top speeds :happy: