I want to start running minimum/barefoot

Options
I've started researching different shoes and wonder what the best minimalist/barefoot shoe would be. I've also read Born to Run and started the 100 up training. Here is the link if you all haven't seen the video.http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/11/02/magazine/100000001149415/the-lost-secret-of-running.html

I would love to hear any experiences on how your training went for this method and any advise.

Happy running! :drinker:

Replies

• grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have several pairs of vibram's that I wear for barefoot/minimalist running. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to barefoot run. my advice is to take it slow. been a year since I went barefoot, can't ever see myself going back :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've started researching different shoes and wonder what the best minimalist/barefoot shoe would be. I've also read Born to Run and started the 100 up training. Here is the link if you all haven't seen the video.http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/11/02/magazine/100000001149415/the-lost-secret-of-running.html

I would love to hear any experiences on how your training went for this method and any advise.

Happy running! :drinker:

I love the Merrill Trail series, Trail Glove myself. Still get great tread of Vibram which lasts long, total flat no heel lift, like 2 or 3 mm of rubber insole so some shock and protection from stones in case you do get on trails, but still great for sidewalks, streets, and even treadmill. Those got me up to 10K easy. The Vibram Five-Finger gave me blisters at that distance.

And I was doing it while heavy, probably more and faster than I should have. I stupidly started going by HR, figuring I do a pace that keeps the HR at top of aerobic zone, which ended up being faster than setting the treadmill to 6.2 mph for an hr of running. Then I used a treadmill that ended up having no shock-absorption compared to others, noticed the pace went up (no wasted energy) and loved and kept pressing it. Did 10K 2x week like that for 3 wks, and sprained by plantar one night with improper warmup. Probably pressing my luck anyway.
    8 wks out of even walking since I couldn't push. Been a long recovery. This year I've held myself back. Jog / Walk intervals based on weight. More jogging as I weigh less.
    Did half-marathon at end of half-ironman tri and feet were just fine, still doing intervals of course.

I had already started running in normal shoes with mid-foot strike and always done faster turnover (90/180 about), so I got no calf pain when I switched over like most seem to get, so be prepared and go slower, shorter, and faster turnover.

If treadmill is available, start there, if not, grass, tracks that are rubber material, asphalt, concrete last, you know what's hardest. Be willing to switch shoes at the beginning during a run if you need the distance, and just keep same methods in normal shoes.

For me, it solved my plantar fasciitis after I started. Sadly I cause that plantar sprain in the other foot. Lovely. But still incredible the lack of joint pain and lack of issues, especially when I was heavier doing it.
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also have the trail gloves that I absolutely love. I have an extremely high arch. I have never found a pair of shoes that fit quite right even when I paid for the tests to find ones that best fit you. Since getting the Merrills I haven't had an issue with my arches hurting while I run. They form to my feet which makes the support perfect! Please keep in mind that the form of running is different so it is suggested you train into these type of shoes. Happy Shoe Hunting!!!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    2 pairs of vibrams and plan on buying more !
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    So 2 votes for Vibrams and 2 votes for Merrils.
    The past 2 days I've been very consciously running on the balls of my feet for 2.25 miles. This route has lots of hills. I read that you naturally run correctly going up hill. I have to say it's a bit awkward learning this method of running but if it's not awkward at first you are probably not doing it right. (So I've heard.) I am also a bit sore. I was not expecting to be sore. But it makes sense if you think about it. You are using your muscles differently.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Bump! I need more comments please!
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ihave a pair of fila skeletos. I have alwaysntried tomrun, end up in joint pain after three runs, then quit. I also read the book born to run...great story! That is when I bought my shoes. I felt like I could run. The kids were interested, so I had them try on pairs, they loved them too! All three of us have them. Love, love, love them!
    On a side note....all recommendations I have read saynto start slow when getting going, because your body has become accustomed to walking in built up shoes and needs time to adjust to minimal shoes, it will save you some injuries.
    On a sadder note...the man who the book was centered on passed away on one of his long runs....not that long ago...three, four months?
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Ihave a pair of fila skeletos. I have alwaysntried tomrun, end up in joint pain after three runs, then quit. I also read the book born to run...great story! That is when I bought my shoes. I felt like I could run. The kids were interested, so I had them try on pairs, they loved them too! All three of us have them. Love, love, love them!
    On a side note....all recommendations I have read saynto start slow when getting going, because your body has become accustomed to walking in built up shoes and needs time to adjust to minimal shoes, it will save you some injuries.
    On a sadder note...the man who the book was centered on passed away on one of his long runs....not that long ago...three, four months?
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    [/quote

Who died? There were several people Chris McDougal wrote about.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I love my new balance minimus./.. and they dont have those stupid creepy toes.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I love my new balance minimus./.. and they dont have those stupid creepy toes.

lol! Awesome!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Can some of you guys that run like this please explain the advantages? I'm interested, but been running for 20 years in more traditional shoes. Thanks!
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Can some of you guys that run like this please explain the advantages? I'm interested, but been running for 20 years in more traditional shoes. Thanks!

I am interested in it because I'm tired of shin splints and achy knees and I want to run all the way into my old age and beyond.

A really thorough explanation can be found in the book Born to Run. Awesome book! But basically a lot of people run with a heel strike which is BAD on the joints and body in general. Also shoes have too much cushion and restriction which prevents your foot from moving naturally when you run on the ball of your foot. The way shoes are made now (a lot, not all) encourages a heel strike and restricts natural movement.
    Back in the 70s running shoes were thin with very little padding and very few running injuries. It wasn't until thick cushion was put in shoes that people started getting all these injuries.
  • PleasantRidge1969
    Options
    I started running about 3 months ago. Other than the first week and a pair of Fila Skeletoes (that I returned to the store), I have only ran in VFF.

I went from nothing to 35 miles last week in the space of 3 months. I have never had a blister or any kind of hurt from the shoes themselves. I am getting ready for a HM in October, and my long run yesterday was 11.5 miles. My feet and calves are sore today, but still no blisters or pain from the shoes.

I guess I am sold on the creepy-toed shoes.
  • heybales
    Options
    So 2 votes for Vibrams and 2 votes for Merrils.
    The past 2 days I've been very consciously running on the balls of my feet for 2.25 miles. This route has lots of hills. I read that you naturally run correctly going up hill. I have to say it's a bit awkward learning this method of running but if it's not awkward at first you are probably not doing it right. (So I've heard.) I am also a bit sore. I was not expecting to be sore. But it makes sense if you think about it. You are using your muscles differently.

Think about how sore you are when you have run downhill, eccentric contractions are tough on the muscle, and your quads probably hurt.

Barefoot running is now doing that to your calves all the time, that muscle is being asked to contract to stop your weight pounding your heel into the ground, at the same time it's being asked to lengthen as the heel comes down while contracted. Tough stuff compared to just contracting to push off. Same for quads absorbing some impact too.

I'd suggest it's not about the balls of the feet, though that is true hills will get you ready, and it is more ball than heel for sure. But you'll learn once in the right shoe how to land almost flat, or mid-foot strike as it's called, heel is allowed to come down and touch ground, just not first.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've had some interest in minimalist shoes as well. Ever thing I read about them said that the midfoot strike was essential. With this in mind I have altered my running to focus on that even before buying minimalist shoes. The upside is that I haven't had any issues with shin splints or achy knees and I believe this is due to running more correctly. I'm now working to lengthen my stride and improve my speed without reverting back to a heel first strike. My point is that some of the learning curve of going to the minimalist shoes can be accomplished even before you spend the bucks on the gear.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Crappy toe shoe guy here too!! Love my Komodosport LS and my Bikilas LS for trails.. Hard to go back to coventional sboes after... Best of Luck....
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Last year, I did Couch to 5K barefoot to start out; I didn't get any barefoot shoes until 6 months later when it started to get too cold to go without shoes. (I have Vibram sprints... they're better than conventional shoes, not as good as barefoot, IMO.) In fact, I've read that it can be very helpful to take some time to run without any shoes at all before getting minimalist shoes. (That may have been the Vibram website, but I can't recall for certain.) My vote is to go with the simplest option and just start doing a portion of your regular run without shoes; a short jog to start out with, especially if you're accustomed to wearing shoes most of the time.

I love running barefoot... it has improved my ability to run in shoes without injury (shin splints are the devil!!) but running without shoes feels wonderful.
  • crissunwoo
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I wear minimalist shoes. I find them very comfortable and now I can't go back to conventional shoes/sneakers! I currently have a rotation going between Ecco biom and Skora. I also have a pair of older Camper shoes that I wear for work and Vivobarefoot that I don't wear so much but should. All of them were very pricy but worth it in my opinion. I have wide feet and all of them are extremely comfy right out of the box except for the Skora's. They needed a little break in time but now they're probably one of my favs.
  • heybales
    Options
    Last year, I did Couch to 5K barefoot to start out; I didn't get any barefoot shoes until 6 months later when it started to get too cold to go without shoes. (I have Vibram sprints... they're better than conventional shoes, not as good as barefoot, IMO.) In fact, I've read that it can be very helpful to take some time to run without any shoes at all before getting minimalist shoes. (That may have been the Vibram website, but I can't recall for certain.) My vote is to go with the simplest option and just start doing a portion of your regular run without shoes; a short jog to start out with, especially if you're accustomed to wearing shoes most of the time.

I love running barefoot... it has improved my ability to run in shoes without injury (shin splints are the devil!!) but running without shoes feels wonderful.

Great reminder, I actually did probably good month of treadmill in socks before getting shoes. They don't want you to go barefoot on machines. I know folks watching me take my shoes off and start running got some converts, because I've seen many more minimalist shoes on the treadmills since then. Word gets around. Many of the lifting guys wear the VFF, but I think that's probably actually a turn off to the treadmill folks. But I get it.