I want to start running minimum/barefoot

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    There isn't actually that much of that stuff in my area but I often run in the dark and all it takes is running through one patch of broken glass. And I've seen a few used condoms on the side of the road (not where I live now but I just moved a couple weeks ago) and on the running trail and the thought of stepping on one in the dark barefoot disgusts me.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to leave the shoes off and run truly barefoot if you are running on the street. Once it gets cold outside I will use a cheap pair of water shoes from wally world to keep the frost bite away. Minimumalist shoes are good for trail runs where there are lots of pointy objects but you should not start out running on trails. By starting bare foot you will not be tempted to run to far and get one of the common bare foot injuries (top of foot pain). When starting listen to your feet, if they are sore you went either too far or too fast.

My feet are way too tender to run with no shoes. I'll stick to minimus. So far the New Balance shoes are working very well. I ran 5 miles yesterday and it was the first time running in them. I am sore in the lower calf area but it's not too bad. I will take today off from running though.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    There isn't actually that much of that stuff in my area but I often run in the dark and all it takes is running through one patch of broken glass. And I've seen a few used condoms on the side of the road (not where I live now but I just moved a couple weeks ago) and on the running trail and the thought of stepping on one in the dark barefoot disgusts me.

Ewwwww! Ick!
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I just bought (I couldn't refuse the awesome price) a pair of NB Minimus for 64 dollars. So we will see tomorrow how they feel. I'll report back in after my run. :happy:

Happy running!
    Great price! Where'd you get them that cheaply?

Hibbett sporting goods. They were on clearance. Surprisingly, no one wanted to buy them at their regular price of $160. :o)
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I just bought (I couldn't refuse the awesome price) a pair of NB Minimus for 64 dollars. So we will see tomorrow how they feel. I'll report back in after my run. :happy:

Happy running!
    Great price! Where'd you get them that cheaply?

Hibbett sporting goods. They were on clearance. Surprisingly, no one wanted to buy them at their regular price of $160. :o)

$160!!! SANTA MARIA!! I bought mine at the actual New Balance store for $110 which is MSRP and the highest I've seen them priced.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I have two pairs of vibrams and I love them. From all my research they are the best.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I have the Merrell gloves. Merrell uses the vibram sole... so the difference is the "fingers".

I ENJOY walking/running/hiking in these shoes. No more shin splints.

There were a few muscle aches while getting used to them, getting used to "barefoot" again, but no "pain".

I highly recommend them... and they look good too. I've actually worn them to the office a couple of times.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Up date...... I'm sore!:bigsmile: A good sore. New muscles are being worked. I had to cut short my 4 mile run to 2 miles. I'll try 2 more miles tomorrow. .......I still love the new minimums though!!!!!

Happy running!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would leave those shoes in the store, especially if you're a serious runner. Unfortunately, nobody listens to me, but that's okay. Just post pictures of those two horror shows that you call feet after running in them for a few weeks. I like scary pictures.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I would leave those shoes in the store, especially if you're a serious runner. Unfortunately, nobody listens to me, but that's okay. Just post pictures of those two horror shows that you call feet after running in them for a few weeks. I like scary pictures.

I've been running in them for 5 months and my feet don't look any different than they always have.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

I am a serious runner and this is the first time time in a long time that I feel like I can kiss those shin splints goodbye!! And pretty feet aren't a priority for me. Running with no pain is. :glasses:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT a serious runner. I run 20-25 miles a week. In minimalist shoes. I have been since february. I've been running PAIN FREE (knees) for the first time in my life since February.
    And my feet look the same.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also have the trail gloves that I absolutely love. I have an extremely high arch. I have never found a pair of shoes that fit quite right even when I paid for the tests to find ones that best fit you. Since getting the Merrills I haven't had an issue with my arches hurting while I run. They form to my feet which makes the support perfect! Please keep in mind that the form of running is different so it is suggested you train into these type of shoes. Happy Shoe Hunting!!!

BUMP... my arch is high too, and I was curious about these types of shoes.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    just remember, any shoe that binds your foot and toes is counterproductive to barefoot running, your toes and foot should spread out naturally as a shock absorber and a your arch should begin to work how nature intended. minimalist shoes do not allow for this, they did help me to not heel strike first, and allowed me to "kind of" feel the ground but it was very reminiscent of traditional running shoes with 1/4th of the weight
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I wear VFF KSOs. I didn't start slow--first time I wore the, I ran three miles further than I'd been running because they felt so amazing. I'm currently training for a half marathon, and am up to 11 miles, no problem, with them. Good luck!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I purchased the new balance minimus about 3wks ago and I absolutely love them. My feet no longer feel heavy on my longer runs.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I walk/jog on my treadmill barefoot. I like that I don't have to wear shoes or socks and that I can clorox wipe the belt any time I see fit. I haven't had any foot problems other than the odd blister if I don't do it for a few days and then try to jump right back in at the speed I left off at. The treadmill belt can get hot at higher speeds, so sometimes I'll reluctantly put on socks if my feet start feeling toasty.

I got a part of minimalist Merrell shoes for outside, but the first two times I wore them it really cut into my heel yet was loose under the ball of my foot... blisters followed. If I try minimalist shoes again, I'd likely go to a store instead of just ordering from online based on the sizing charts. I will likely never bother to try Vibrams. I can't stand stuff between my toes.

For as long as I can remember, I've gone barefoot at every opportunity, so there wasn't really an adjustment for me. When I do wear "shoes" it's usually sandals or flip flops that I kick off as soon as I can (like under my desk at work). However, I did a 10K with my dad and wore a pair of regular sneakers because I didn't have a pair of good minimalist ones for the road, and it completely threw me off. I couldn't help but take bigger steps and heel strike when in "normal" shoes. I enjoyed the 10k but the change in my foot strike drove me a little nuts. It just felt wrong and awkward. I'm seriously considering getting a huarache sandal kit so that I can just cut a sole to my own foot and then lace it up for minimalist outdoor use.

I have read Born to Run. It's a fun read and informative too. It really made me think about human movement differently. My mom now struggles with plantars fasciitis and I wonder if it's because she is always in very supportive, cushioned shoes at work and at home. Her job keeps her on her feet almost all day (nursing) so if heel striking and shoes are an issue, I can see how it would have affected her. I've run the idea past my folks but I don't think they buy the whole barefoot is better notion at this time. They think I'm a little crazy for going barefoot on my treadmill at home too.

Oddly enough, I remember how hard it was to learn to walk heel-to-toe in the first place. You see, when I was a kid, I had a somewhat rare childhood hip disorder and thus had to wear a leg brace for quite some time. The brace caused me to wear out shoes very fast because I would end up walking on the side of them (and would thus wear out the fabric where it connects to the sole). Naturally, my parents would buy me those super cheap, thin sole, white canvas Keds with the blue label on the back of the heel. You know, the kind where you can feel the pebbles under your shoe when standing on a gravel road. If I was going to wear out my shoes super fast, why spend money on better shoes?

Anyway, when the brace came off (2nd? grade) the doctor and my parents were delighted at my recovery, but insisted that I walked and ran "wrong" because I consistently landed on the balls of my feet instead of on my heels. I have very clear memories of me getting annoyed at my dad chanting "heel, heel..." anytime he noticed my "incorrect" locomotion. It wasn't until they "upgraded" my footwear to "normal" tennis shoes that I finally got the hang of a heel first strike.

While I did get the hang of a heel-strike in cushioned tennis shoes, I went shoeless whenever possible, even if it meant getting fussed at for my dirty calloused bare feet when I'd be spotted fetching the mail or something. These days it's my husband who makes faces at my perpetually dirty feet; and at the mani-pedi before my wedding, I think the manicurist was a bit amazed by my callouses. Interestingly, my husband consistently walks on the balls of his feet even though he is almost always in shoes. When I read Born to Run and saw Professor Lieberman's videos online, that pretty much confirmed to me that I wasn't crazy. I bought a treadmill so that I could walk and run barefoot at home.

Hm... maybe I need to find another pair of dirt cheap canvas Keds for my next 10k.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I also have the trail gloves that I absolutely love. I have an extremely high arch. I have never found a pair of shoes that fit quite right even when I paid for the tests to find ones that best fit you. Since getting the Merrills I haven't had an issue with my arches hurting while I run. They form to my feet which makes the support perfect! Please keep in mind that the form of running is different so it is suggested you train into these type of shoes. Happy Shoe Hunting!!!

BUMP... my arch is high too, and I was curious about these types of shoes.

I also have a very high arch. I'm not experiencing any arch problems since switching to minimalist shoes.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    just remember, any shoe that binds your foot and toes is counterproductive to barefoot running, your toes and foot should spread out naturally as a shock absorber and a your arch should begin to work how nature intended. minimalist shoes do not allow for this, they did help me to not heel strike first, and allowed me to "kind of" feel the ground but it was very reminiscent of traditional running shoes with 1/4th of the weight

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to get my next pair of shoes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    IMHO, there probably aren't many podiatrists that endorse "barefoot" shoes for running. One of the most recommended is the Brooks Beast because of the support the shoe has.

I can't walk barefoot for long. Even less so in sand. Went for a walk on the beach with my wife on OBX. We did about a mile total and by the time we got back my arthritic toes were in agony.

Barefoot shoes may feel comfortable in the short term, but the price is more damage accumulating over time.
    I've had one foot surgery already. Believe me, that is more than enough. At least the screw isn't big enough to set off airport metal detectors.