I want to start running minimum/barefoot

Options

Replies

• DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    So 2 votes for Vibrams and 2 votes for Merrils.
    The past 2 days I've been very consciously running on the balls of my feet for 2.25 miles. This route has lots of hills. I read that you naturally run correctly going up hill. I have to say it's a bit awkward learning this method of running but if it's not awkward at first you are probably not doing it right. (So I've heard.) I am also a bit sore. I was not expecting to be sore. But it makes sense if you think about it. You are using your muscles differently.

Think about how sore you are when you have run downhill, eccentric contractions are tough on the muscle, and your quads probably hurt.

Barefoot running is now doing that to your calves all the time, that muscle is being asked to contract to stop your weight pounding your heel into the ground, at the same time it's being asked to lengthen as the heel comes down while contracted. Tough stuff compared to just contracting to push off. Same for quads absorbing some impact too.

I'd suggest it's not about the balls of the feet, though that is true hills will get you ready, and it is more ball than heel for sure. But you'll learn once in the right shoe how to land almost flat, or mid-foot strike as it's called, heel is allowed to come down and touch ground, just not first.

Good info. Thanks!
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I've had some interest in minimalist shoes as well. Ever thing I read about them said that the midfoot strike was essential. With this in mind I have altered my running to focus on that even before buying minimalist shoes. The upside is that I haven't had any issues with shin splints or achy knees and I believe this is due to running more correctly. I'm now working to lengthen my stride and improve my speed without reverting back to a heel first strike. My point is that some of the learning curve of going to the minimalist shoes can be accomplished even before you spend the bucks on the gear.

That is what I have been thinking. Thanks!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I started running last November and switched to VFF starting in April. I eased into them a little at a time and by the beginning of June I was wearing them exclusively. I love them but as my mileage started increasing the individual toes started to bother me (over 8 miles they were annoying). I bought some New Balance Minimus this past Friday and did my longest run to date (11 miles) on Sunday. They were awesome. I love them both. I also lift weights in my VFFs if I wear shoes at all.

I think that only having been running for a few months helped make my transition a little faster as I hadn't had a lot of time to get too conditioned to running in regular shoes. My calves felt like someone had beat them with a sap for the first couple of weeks but now everything feels great.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I started running last November and switched to VFF starting in April. I eased into them a little at a time and by the beginning of June I was wearing them exclusively. I love them but as my mileage started increasing the individual toes started to bother me (over 8 miles they were annoying). I bought some New Balance Minimus this past Friday and did my longest run to date (11 miles) on Sunday. They were awesome. I love them both. I also lift weights in my VFFs if I wear shoes at all.

I think that only having been running for a few months helped make my transition a little faster as I hadn't had a lot of time to get too conditioned to running in regular shoes. My calves felt like someone had beat them with a sap for the first couple of weeks but now everything feels great.

Is anybody else having a problem with VFF shoes on the longer distances?
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I wore vibrams for a little over a year and then switched back to a more cushioned shoe with a low 4mm heel. (Brooks Pure Connect). Calf pain was not an issue because your calves and achilles tendon eventually strengthen. My form in the Brooks is also identical to the form I developed in the Vibrams.

My problem was that I was running high mileage (>70 mpw) and the bottoms of my feet were always sore. I also developed a case of plantar fasciitis doing speedwork on the track that needed a more substantial shoe to allow it to heal.

Now that my PF is healed I still occasionally run in the vibrams.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Mine was in comment above, doing 6.2 mile runs yes.

Really though, if you think about fact that you have many more surfaces touching between shoe and foot, it increases the chances that your foot will NOT fit perfectly enough to NOT have problems.
    Just increases the chances for any issues to show up.

Then again, if your foot happens to fit perfectly fine, then no issues.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I haven't worked up to long distances yet (mid distance is what I'm working on) but I will say that around the second mile, I would notice some uncomfortable constriction in the toe box, even though they fit me perfectly. As the shoes have gotten more broken in I guess, it's been better (although still not as awesome as just plain barefoot.) So some discomfort may dissipate as the shoes are worn more.

Another factor is fit - it might be that another style VFF or another size is a lot more comfortable.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Mine weren't causing any serious problems, the material between my toes just became annoying. It wasn't until around 8 miles though. I had not run more than 10 in them at one time.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bumpimg for reading later... currently not running due to patellofemoral syndrome but once I start back might go back to training just in my vibrams that I have only used sporadically.
  • MadgieDO
    MadgieDO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I say try on a bunch and see what feels right for you. I use New Balance Minimus because I don't like the feeling of stuff between my toes and found them to have the most flexible base. I don't think there's a "wrong" option out there, just what feels good for you.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    I just bought (I couldn't refuse the awesome price) a pair of NB Minimus for 64 dollars. So we will see tomorrow how they feel. I'll report back in after my run. :happy:

Happy running!
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I got blue and grey ones for $15 at Big W..... they're good
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I just bought (I couldn't refuse the awesome price) a pair of NB Minimus for 64 dollars. So we will see tomorrow how they feel. I'll report back in after my run. :happy:

Happy running!

Remember to ease into them... There is an adjustment period for your feet to get use to them because you are using alot more of the muscles in your feet.. Best of Luck... I love my VFF and would go back for anything...
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I ran in my VFF today, I didn't run long but I did run hard, and I ended up with a blister on the side of my foot and my second toe was killing my on my left foot. I did run in them in a 5K obstacle course and they were wonderful!!! Just make sure that you take it slow if you end up getting the VFF. Only run 1/4 mile SLOWLY the first day. They are designed to make you run on the balls of your feet. If you run heel to toe you will injure yourself. The first time I ran in them I couldn't walk for three days.
    Go to www.vibramfivefingers.com and look at their education section. It will teach you how to train your feet and body.

Good luck!!!

• laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Happy running!

Oh, would love to hear what you think. What are you running in now? I got myself a heel fracture/peroneal tendon tear in Vomeros (heel strike badly). Read Born to Run while in the cast and out of commission. After rehab when to Nike Frees and haven't been hurt since (at least not running). Running my first half in two weeks!

Husband is wearing Vibrams, but I don't feel the love for them. The Minimus looked like it might be a good shoe for me to consider at least alternating with Frees to start out?
  • dbevisjr
    Options
    Google the following to get more info on the midfoot strike:

Good Form Running

Chi Running

The Pose Method of Running

All use the midfoot strike, high cadence, tall straight posture and lean. I am attending a Good Form Running workshop later this month and looking forward to learning more about it.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance Minimus shoes. They have the vibram insole and do look alot better.
  • perpetual98
    Options
    I have the Merrell Barefoot Trail shoes and I love them. I got them from Zappos.com and they have a great return policy. I was looking at them the other day and some of their less popular colors were on sale for $78 instead of the $110 that I paid.

I started off on my treadmill at home barefoot. I was a little sore at first, but as I increased distances I actually burned my heels on the treadmill from that momentary friction that you have from the belt. It wasn't bad, just annoying. We've since moved to a place where I can walk on lit sidewalks and paths all the time now, but I'm sure I will be back on the boring treadmill come inclement weather. Been wearing the Merrells more and more lately as I try to break in my muscles again to them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here's a great reviewer of the minimalist shoes. Very complete descriptions, and why things do and don't work, for you to decide if that matters or not to you.

http://www.runblogger.com/2009/02/minimalist-running.html

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/runbloggers-guide-to-minimalist-running.html