What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Pattern of Wounds by J. Mark Bertrand...
  • ilinx
    ilinx Posts: 34
    Options
    I just finished Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto.I really liked it because it was different from everything I've ever read before.
  • " The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harol Frey" by Rachel Joyce.

It's about a man, Harold who lives a predictable life with a nagging wife. Then he receives a letter from his old colleague; Queeny. She's writing him that she has cancer and wants to say goodbye. He writes her a short message back and walks over to the mailbox to post it.

But then, Harold has a chance encounter, one that convinces him that he absolutely must deliver his message to Queenie in person. And thus begins the unlikely pilgrimage. Harold Fry is determined to walk six hundred miles from Kingsbridge to the hospice in Berwick-upon-Tweed because, he believes, as long as he walks, Queenie Hennessey will live.

I love it so far!! Beautiful!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just finished "Letters to a Young Contrarian" (Christopher Hitchens); I am in the middle of "Arguably" (Christopher Hitchens); just began "Mortality (Christopher Hitchens).

I also have many books on the go, where I pick them up at random and read a few chapters before getting distracted by another book (this is a terrible habit of mine). Some of these include:

"Demon Haunted World" (Carl Sagan)
    "The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood" (James Gleick)
    "Thinking Fast and Slow" (Daniel Kahneman)
    "This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking (edited by John Brockman)

... among others....
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Just finished three books - Kathy Hepinstal's "Blue Asylum" (a major disappointment - so much promise, so little delivery), Tom Rachman's "The Imperfectionists" (not a very good read, sadly) and Stephen King's "Bag of Bones" (quite a good read, if not a bit meandering in the first few chapters).

I love Bag of Bones!! If those two other books you wrote about didn't have poor reviews from you I would check them out. Would love to hear another one of your favorites so I can check it out.

I enjoyed "Bag of Bones" a lot - it's been a long time since I've read something from SK. As for some of my other favorites, I'll give you a few:

"Wonder Boys" by Michael Chabon
    "The Journal of Best Practices" by David Finch
    "Riven Rock" by TC Boyle
    "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore (it's hilarious!)

I'm always looking for something new and good to read - have any ideas/recommendations that I could use?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (I think this is my 4th time reading it)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Right now into chick lit ...... finished "Heller" by J.D. Nixon (ok) ...... halfway through "Secrets" by Kristen Heitzman (ok) ...... also rereading "The South Beach Diet" ..... and considering Stephen King's "The Gunslinger" ...... never read any of the Dark Tower series.

Happy reading !
  • babigirl2009
    Options
    I am reading The Hunger Games. I know I am behind everyone on this lol
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    Dantes Inferno, scares the crap out of me.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am reading The Hunger Games. I know I am behind everyone on this lol

Loved the movie. I was told the book as some serious changes though, so I'm thinking of reading it.

I'm mostly reading random fiction from the Kindle daily deals and some nonfiction stuff for a some short stories I'm working on.
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games <3
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My Lobotomy, A memoir from a patient of Walter Freeman who invented the icepick lobotomy. Very interesting read!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My Lobotomy, A memoir from a patient of Walter Freeman who invented the icepick lobotomy. Very interesting read!

That does sound interesting! I think you just decided what I should be reading :-)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Just finished "Divergent" and "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth.

I loved the first one. The second was okay.
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The Princes of Ireland, the Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherfurd.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Just finished three books - Kathy Hepinstal's "Blue Asylum" (a major disappointment - so much promise, so little delivery), Tom Rachman's "The Imperfectionists" (not a very good read, sadly) and Stephen King's "Bag of Bones" (quite a good read, if not a bit meandering in the first few chapters).

I love Bag of Bones!! If those two other books you wrote about didn't have poor reviews from you I would check them out. Would love to hear another one of your favorites so I can check it out.

I enjoyed "Bag of Bones" a lot - it's been a long time since I've read something from SK. As for some of my other favorites, I'll give you a few:

"Wonder Boys" by Michael Chabon
    "The Journal of Best Practices" by David Finch
    "Riven Rock" by TC Boyle
    "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore (it's hilarious!)

I'm always looking for something new and good to read - have any ideas/recommendations that I could use?

I can't be too much help - I've moved twice this year and seemed to have misplaced my box' o' books but the ones I have on hand which I really enjoyed are:

Stephen King's - Lisey's Story - I read almost all of his books when I was younger and Lisey's Story and Bag of Bones were departures from his usual schtick - that I really really enjoyed (there was another one but I read it years ago so I can't recall the name).

Lolly Winston's - Good Grief. This might be too much of a chick book for you (it's about a woman coping with the loss of her husband, similar to Lisey's story but nothing Stephen King about it).

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran - not so much a story as a bunch of separate writings but still really good.

Also I held onto a copy of The Giver by Lois Lowry - to be honest it's been years since I read this one but I wouldn't have held onto it without reason (I hope).

I'll be checking out the books you mentioned so I can re-stock my formerly fabulous library - thanks!
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A Game of Thrones

A Dance with Dragons (found Game of Thrones a tough one to get through but kind of snapped into it about halfway through)
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (I think this is my 4th time reading it)

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder is worth a look as well
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women - pretty self explanatory
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Just started reading Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel.