What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• lylasnan
    lylasnan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just finished "The girl with the dragon tattoo" trilogy and I am now reading "Panic" by Jeff Abbot.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Re-reading some John Irving, "The World According to Garp". One of my favourites.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The Tempest (Shakespeare). I'm seeing the play next month and I've never read that play. I like it...I love how Shakespeare insults people and is so bawdy.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (I think this is my 4th time reading it)

I read it at least once a year. :smile:

I'm reading The Age of Miracles and Treating Affect Phobia.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Just finished three books - Kathy Hepinstal's "Blue Asylum" (a major disappointment - so much promise, so little delivery), Tom Rachman's "The Imperfectionists" (not a very good read, sadly) and Stephen King's "Bag of Bones" (quite a good read, if not a bit meandering in the first few chapters).

I love Bag of Bones!! If those two other books you wrote about didn't have poor reviews from you I would check them out. Would love to hear another one of your favorites so I can check it out.

I enjoyed "Bag of Bones" a lot - it's been a long time since I've read something from SK. As for some of my other favorites, I'll give you a few:

"Wonder Boys" by Michael Chabon
    "The Journal of Best Practices" by David Finch
    "Riven Rock" by TC Boyle
    "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore (it's hilarious!)

I'm always looking for something new and good to read - have any ideas/recommendations that I could use?

I can't be too much help - I've moved twice this year and seemed to have misplaced my box' o' books but the ones I have on hand which I really enjoyed are:

Stephen King's - Lisey's Story - I read almost all of his books when I was younger and Lisey's Story and Bag of Bones were departures from his usual schtick - that I really really enjoyed (there was another one but I read it years ago so I can't recall the name).

Lolly Winston's - Good Grief. This might be too much of a chick book for you (it's about a woman coping with the loss of her husband, similar to Lisey's story but nothing Stephen King about it).

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran - not so much a story as a bunch of separate writings but still really good.

Also I held onto a copy of The Giver by Lois Lowry - to be honest it's been years since I read this one but I wouldn't have held onto it without reason (I hope).

I'll be checking out the books you mentioned so I can re-stock my formerly fabulous library - thanks!

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely look into "Lisey's Story" since he's always been a favorite writer of mine. Good luck restocking the library!
  • twosteps
    Options
    Muscling my way through the (sometimes flowery) complexity of Consider Phlebas, by Iain Banks. Already really loving his ability to world build, authorial jealousy aside.

I really like Iain Banks, so will put this on my wish list! :D

I'm currently reading Pure by Andrew Miller.. not sure how to describe it so here is the Amazon blurb!

A year of bones, of grave-dirt, relentless work. Of mummified corpses and chanting priests.

A year of rape, suicide, sudden death. Of friendship too. Of desire. Of love...

A year unlike any other he has lived.

Deep in the heart of Paris, its oldest cemetery is, by 1785, overflowing, tainting the very breath of those who live nearby. Into their midst comes Jean-Baptiste Baratte, a young, provincial engineer charged by the king with demolishing it.

At first Baratte sees this as a chance to clear the burden of history, a fitting task for a modern man of reason. But before long, he begins to suspect that the destruction of the cemetery might be a prelude to his own.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Reading The Vampire Files (okay, that's a compilation, the current novel in it is Bloodlist) by P.N. Elro

I LOVE the Vampire Files! I bought them when they first came out, with those horrible lurid covers and read the first five in about three days ....grinning all the way. Love em!
  • domikins8
    Options
    Just finished Rainey Nights and thinking about starting Brave New World.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    Nocturnes, by Kazuo Ishiguro.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Just finished Mockingjay of The Hunger Games series. I know it's YA but I love it :P About to start The Motorcycle Diaries by el Che :)
  • annadolezalova
    annadolezalova Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My Spiritual Journey by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Finished reading Ada's Rules: A sexy skinny novel.
    Ordered New rules of lifting for women today from the library.
    At the moment forcing myself to read a whole bunch of boring articles from accounting research journals (I'm a postgrad student).
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I got a Kindle for Christmas last year, and downloaded every free book i hadn't read (well, maybe not ALL of them) so I'm currently reading Crime and Punishment. I'm 25% done and I am very much enjoying it (and i am actually surprised by this)...
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    "Women and Health" (textbook, actually pretty good though) and about six journal articles on alcohol and academic performance (really not so interesting but paper's due Weds)

I'd love to read something else but I promised myself no new books for fun until semester break or 15 pounds lost, whichever comes first.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I got a Kindle for Christmas last year, and downloaded every free book i hadn't read (well, maybe not ALL of them) so I'm currently reading Crime and Punishment. I'm 25% done and I am very much enjoying it (and i am actually surprised by this)...

It amazed me what turned out to be really good, and what was awful in the free Kindle books. I couldn't get through the first chapter of the Scarlet Letter, but I loved some of the poetry & plays I got. I didn't think I liked poetry.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Jolie Blon's Bounce by James Lee Burke
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The Donzerly Light, by Ryne Douglas Pearson. It was a freebie kindle book, so far, so good!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    'Wild'

Author Cheryl Strayed hikes the Pacific Crest Trail
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just finishing up Eat Pray Love, and have Clash of Kings ( Game of Thrones 2 ) sitting and waiting for me, so excited for that one.