BIKE HELMETS.....Do YOU wear one??

Options

Replies

• gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hit my head so hard on a low branch a few weeks ago that it left me dazed, I dread to think what would have happened without my helmet
  • AmyS1975
    Options
    Always! A must have! It's like wearing your seat belt in your car, you never know when you'll need it. If you value your life ...
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    omg why wouldn't you wear a helmet!?
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yes. I fell off a couple of times 20 years ago and ended up in hospital. No real harm done but it makes you think!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's illegal not to wear one here (Australia). I hate them but it's a necessary evil - broken bones heal but broken brains don't.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE wear a helmet!! I had an accident recently (a driver opened their car door into the bike lane and I flipped over the door) and would probably not be here typing this today had I not been wearing a helmet. Instead, I walked away with a broken shoulder...
  • enid42
    enid42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wear one every single time that I get on a bike, even if I'm just testing out newly pumped up tires. This spring a bird built a nest in my helmet (it's on a peb board out in the garage) and I didn't ride at all until the babies finally left. I did clean the helmet with bleach water.
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    nope. and wouldn't you know i got hit by a car last year on my bike. didn't get too hurt and didn't hit my head (flipped over the handlebars and did a roll) but i should probably invest in a good helmet. i don't ride much anymore cuz where i live now has alot of hills and the only thing close by is a major highway.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Didn't wear one on my Harley when I lived in a state w/o a helmet law. Moved to a state w/ a helmet law so had no choice. I got a "BC Beanie". For me it gave me a real false sense of security. I was much more aware of every little thing around me w/o the helmet - I felt SO much more vulnerable - and let's face it, awareness and DEFENSE is your only defense when you're on a bike!!! There are no "fender benders" on a bike! So I prefer no helmet.

If I don't wear one on a Harley, I surely am not going to wear one on a bicycle. (And for the same reasons.)

And since I'm a responsible citizen I have very clearly spelled out "living will"/advanced directive/dnr papers filed with my attorney. I'm vegan but I don't want to be a vegetable! :noway:

BTW, I was in a motorcycle accident (passenger, mind you! I never had any type of accident once I got my own bike.) where we took a curve too fast and went flying off the road at about 55 mph. The bike hit a boulder and I was literally catapulted off of it. The way I landed, had I been wearing a full helmet, my neck would have been snapped. As it was, I walked away with some ribs torn from the sternum and whiplash. So that's my anecdotal evidence AGAINST helmets. And just because it MUST be said: if you don't wear proper clothing and boots, why bother with the helmet?! Ever see these fools wearing shorts and flip flops with a big ol' full face helmet on? WTF?!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. I wear a helmet when I ride my bike. I work with people with brain injuries and concussions and I won't risk one myself.

THIS.....is an eye opener! Thank you.
  • Katieladie40
    Options
    I wear a helmet almost everywhere. I don't on campus because it's a pain to keep track of it and it's always in my way. and i know i should but i just don't. i barley ride anyways without it.
  • ferb03
    Options
    I can't believe anyone doesn't wear a helmet. Work in surgery for a while and try putting the parts and pieces together again and you might change your mind.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nope. No helmet for me. I don't like them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I wear a helmet everywhere. I'm wearing it right now.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, especially since i'm a road biker. But I confess that sometimes, when I'm stressed and just need to get out and feel the freedom that comes with riding, I will go without one on the bike path. And I'm sure that it will be just my luck to take a header on one of the occasions that I don't have it on.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Nope. No helmet for me. I don't like them.

This was my path of thinking....until today. After seeing what I saw, I can only think there was a REASON that was put in front of me to see...and maybe I need to open my own eyes.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I went face first over my handle bars at age 11 when I lost control of my bike going down a hill and hit a car. Luckily, my skull was protected. I'm pretty sure that after paying for nearly $10,000 worth of dental work and orthodontics my mom wishes I had been wearing some sort of mouth guard in addition to the helmet.

Helmets are so cheap compared to the cost of an ER visit. Why wouldn't you wear one?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Never wore a helmet. Until i bought a road bike. It's too damn fast(well, i'm fast) to not wear a helmet while riding. I have never turned a pedal on it without my brain bucket on.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Didn't wear one on my Harley when I lived in a state w/o a helmet law. Moved to a state w/ a helmet law so had no choice. I got a "BC Beanie". For me it gave me a real false sense of security. I was much more aware of every little thing around me w/o the helmet - I felt SO much more vulnerable - and let's face it, awareness and DEFENSE is your only defense when you're on a bike!!! There are no "fender benders" on a bike! So I prefer no helmet.

If I don't wear one on a Harley, I surely am not going to wear one on a bicycle. (And for the same reasons.)

And since I'm a responsible citizen I have very clearly spelled out "living will"/advanced directive/dnr papers filed with my attorney. I'm vegan but I don't want to be a vegetable! :noway:

BTW, I was in a motorcycle accident (passenger, mind you! I never had any type of accident once I got my own bike.) where we took a curve too fast and went flying off the road at about 55 mph. The bike hit a boulder and I was literally catapulted off of it. The way I landed, had I been wearing a full helmet, my neck would have been snapped. As it was, I walked away with some ribs torn from the sternum and whiplash. So that's my anecdotal evidence AGAINST helmets. And just because it MUST be said: if you don't wear proper clothing and boots, why bother with the helmet?! Ever see these fools wearing shorts and flip flops with a big ol' full face helmet on? WTF?!
    OMG Last weekend on a major interstate here, a guy was driving his Harley with a chick on the back...the chick was wearing HIGH HEELS!!!! WTF
  • unwindingarc
    Options
    always wear one. i have a hard head but not as hard as concrete or metal. also wear a high visibility vest. although some days i think all the vest does is give some of the half witted drivers we have in our city a moving target to try and hit.