I am so done with this program!!

Options

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Almost every single person, and there were many, said the same thing.... eat more, drink more water, don't drink your calories, measure your food, make more careful food choices (although I noted that your diary is now closed so I won't say more on that since I didn't see it for myself), and exercise. I do agree that some people could have said it nicer, especially since there are pages of the same suggestions. I truly hope you take these suggestions to heart and in the next four weeks, you will see a loss, athough, I do want to warn you that it may take a month for your body to adjust to eating proper amounts again. If you are interested, add me as a friend, I am here to support people who are doing the right activities to be healthier and lose weight!
    Thanks to those of you who posted postive thoughts, and to those who didn't, BITE ME! You obvouisly don't understand what it's like. I have friended many people through this thread, and they will now be my support! The rest of you should be much more considerate! Rudeness isn't going to get you far in life. Since this my last community post, my thanks to some, the rest can KMA!!
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I'm pissed at everyone on here who is quoting the starvation mode MYTH. Because that's what it is - a MYTH.

Your body ONLY goes into starvation mode if you are already UNDERWEIGHT.

And chances are, the OP wasn't eating under maintenance anyway. They probably just didn't log half the stuff they ate.

Just semantics. If an overweight person eats far far too few calories their metabolism will slow to to conserve energy. This action may well not be correctly called 'starvation mode' however the point is still valid.

What do YOU think happens to an overweight person consuming hardly any calories? Continued massive weight loss?

Take it from someone who was considered "obese" on the BMI scale and who wasn't eating enough.. my weight didn't go anywhere until I increased my food intake. As soon as I began to EAT MORE the weight was dropping off instantly, I lost 2kgs in my first week of eating more and it continued as 1-1.5kgs every week after that.. and no, I didn't start to exercise until I hit a plateau.. so I for one agree very much with "starvation mode" affecting weight loss.. because I've experienced it.
  • hannah1486
    Options
    It's simple Math!!! Take in less Calories than you Burn and you will loose, period!
  • sazroy
    Options
    You are not eating enough! You should eat back your exercise and you have put your body in starvation mode where it will store everything it can

:huh: :huh: You won't/can't store fat while eating at a deficit. Starvation mode is a myth (otherwise all of the surviving Japanese POWs from WWII would not have been walking skeletons)

.. There's a difference between starvation mode and actual Starvation.

True, actual starvation is not a myth. Does the human body adapt to lower caloric intake.....yes. Can it store fat while on a caloric deficit.....no (unless you are able to defy the laws of physics)

Fat is energy storage, if you are expending more energy than you are consuming there is no surplus to store.

As I just posted above...

"Take it from someone who was considered "obese" on the BMI scale and who wasn't eating enough.. my weight didn't go anywhere until I increased my food intake. As soon as I began to EAT MORE the weight was dropping off instantly, I lost 2kgs in my first week of eating more and it continued as 1-1.5kgs every week after that.. and no, I didn't start to exercise until I hit a plateau.. so I for one agree very much with "starvation mode" affecting weight loss.. because I've experienced it. "
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have followed this program to the letter for a month now, and thanks to MFP, I am now at the highest weight I have ever been. It doesn't work!!!!

the days I looked at in your diary you didnt come close to the suggested amount of calories. If you dont eat enough, your body thinks you are running low on food and will conserve and your weight loss slows to a crawl.

You didnt list any exercise.

You cant blame the "program" if you dont follow it.

This is what I would have said if I could look at your diary and see that you didn't eat enough. I tried, but it's private....

I eat over 2,000 calories a day and lose weight...
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    :cry: I'm with ya...since I started MFP..I've gained 10 pounds , I started at my ultimate goal weight of 109, after alot of hard work and, now back up to 120 since the last time I weighed myself, scared to get on the scale...not happy...I ork really hard, wrk out almost everyday, watch what I eat and log everything, drink water......ughhh... I am on the brink of quiting too

Muscle weighs more that fat and judging from your profile pic you've got muscle.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, be it feathers or gold. Muscle is more dense than fat.

If a thing is more dense than another thing, then it IS heavier. That's essentially exactly what "heavier" means.
  • sazroy
    Options
    On many days you have eaten less than 1000 calories.. I know for starters that my BMR (Basal Metobolic Rate) is around 1350 calories.. You're BMR is what you body needs to survive. So I eat a little above my BMR (I aim for 1560 cals a day) and then I EXERCISE and burn about 500-700 calories a session, the more calories I burn the more I allow myself to eat (If I burn 700 calories then I'll let myself eat 1600-1700) I eat if I'm hungry, I never allow myself to be hungry, we're not meant to starve or feel unsatisfied..

I'm not a super hot fit chick, I'm 23 and have been struggling with my weight my whole life... MFP is brilliant if you use it as a tool (because that's what it is.. a tool not a "program") I currently weigh 81kgs. My goal is 65kgs.. but I used to weigh 93kgs! AND I'm only 5'1. And what kicked me off with losing a whopping 12kgs so far!? Realising I needed to eat MORE. I was under eating, allowing myself only 3 meals a day (no snacks) but then by the time the weekend rolled around I found myself binging, I was so tired, low on energy and could hardly wake up for work in the morning.. began to eat more (simply ate more no exercise) and I lost 10kgs. Then the wait stopped and I realised.. I have to exercise now.. and now in just a week of going to the gym 5 days out of 7, I've already started to see the scales move again..

Eat more, exercise more. Allow yourself small treats so you don't binge in large amounts. Don't starve yourself because all that is doing is putting your body into hibernation/starvation mode and you're body says "Oh I'm not going to eat for a while better store this meal as fat."

Extra note... Some days I eat above 2000 calories! But I just make sure I go back to around 1500 the next day.

how can your BMR be that low? are you using the schofield equation? it should be in the 2000's
    Are you thinking of TDEE? My BMR is only 1285.

Thank you! :)
  • Melonhead
    Options
    You should just quit.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    :cry: I'm with ya...since I started MFP..I've gained 10 pounds , I started at my ultimate goal weight of 109, after alot of hard work and, now back up to 120 since the last time I weighed myself, scared to get on the scale...not happy...I ork really hard, wrk out almost everyday, watch what I eat and log everything, drink water......ughhh... I am on the brink of quiting too

Are you sure you are not gaining muscle? Working out will do that.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If a thing is more dense than another thing, then it IS heavier. That's essentially exactly what "heavier" means.

A block of lead 1"x1"x1" is not heavier than a block of wood that is 10 miles x 10 miles x 10 miles, but it is denser.

This thread is getting heavier with more posts, but its density of knowledge is about zero.
  • Itsme00313
    Itsme00313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 47 yrs 165.2 my BMR is 1309 according to this site. I have a FITBIT that tracks my activity I also belong to Weight Watchers and track my food and exercise on SPARKPEOPLE.com (MY Favorite site as a whole) I started using this site because it adjusts for the fitbit. I have lost 10.6 lbs since June 1. As I said I like this site and will be leaving Weight Watchers at the end of this month.

If you do not eat at least your BMR your body goes into starvation mode. It literally holds onto everything it can. It even converts needed muscle into fat so it can turn it into energy to keep you alive. Make sure if you are going to crash diet you take a vitamin to minimize damage to your muscles, organs and brain.

If you use the site properly and click the complete button it would have given you a message that you are not eating enough. You need to take this seriously!!

Yes you read that correct if you count I use Weight Watchers to learn better choices for my points, Fitbit for more accurate activity level, My Fitness pal to adjust for activity and Sparkpeople for Motovation, menus, exercise, recepies and special dietary tracking in one place.

Good luck in you journey.
  • brendabelieve
    Options
    I understand your frustration! This is not an easy journey, but your health is worth it!

I went through a phase where I gained weight once eating healthier and exercising everyday. It was very hard on me mentally! And I wanted to quit too! But Luckily I had been measuring my chest, waist, hip and thigh. When I looked at my measurements, I had actually lost 1.5 inches off my waist, even though I had gained weight. My advice is don't get totally hung up on what the weight scale says. YOU know if you are putting in a fair effort to a healthier you (and that shouldn't just mean a lighter weight). YOU know if you feel better, have more energy. YOU know if you clothes fit just a smidge better.

YOU are in charge of your destiny. It is YOUR responsibility to take care of your health. And YOU are worth every sacrifice and change you need to make to be the healthiest you that you can be!

Good luck on your journey, and I wish you all the success you need to achieve your goals!
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone noticed but Dlmowrey stated in her profile "..had my thyroid removed 7 years ago".
    As "the thyroid gland produces hormones that balance all body functions, including your metabolism" this has gotta be a factor in her weight loss programme.
    If I were in this situation I would be consulting a dietician or some other professional.
    Well intentioned as the MFP community is, it may be counter-productive or even dangerous to tell someone without a thyroid gland, "your not eating enough"....

Thyroidectomy will certainly affect weight loss. She could at least be more pleasant and civil and give more details.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Are you sure you are not gaining muscle? Working out will do that.

You can't gain muscle whilst eating hardly any calories
  • cottoncloud
    Options
    you shouldn't skip any meals! it just makes things worse.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    K BYE!
  • BrittneyOhhh
    Options
    Please tell me you are one of those people which just don't log your veggies.. Please..

This.

Try another month where you eat more GOOD food, veggies, less of the chicken wings etc, drink 8 glasses of water a day then come back to us. It does work.

YESSS! And as someone else mentioned earlier on the thread--- a food scale will save your life! It's a huge step in understanding portion control, too!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

why?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

why?

They meant that you shouldn't skip DURING any meals. A hamburger or piece of fruit is fine but soup goes everywhere!
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Funny, but since ive seen HONEST with my log, even when i slipped, ive lost 3lbs in 5 days so far, and my saddlebags, I noticed today, are reducing.